1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 link build - Need assistance with electronics and other setups.

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Percheron, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Feb 6, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    Percheron

Percheron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all!

My name is Perchie. I have a dialed out Mid travel 2017 4X4 Tundra. I unfortunately have decided to go all out and build a full linked Tundra. Yes! That means backhalfed, linked, full floating rear end, caged, solid mount throughout, etc. However, jumping into the deep end doesn't come without its drawbacks.

I need advice on the matter as I am venturing into unknown territory. As of right now, my biggest focus is the ABS system. Since I am thinking about Camburg's trailing arms(https://camburg.com/product-category/suspension/lt-link-trailing-arm-kits/) and full floating 3rd member(https://camburg.com/rear-end-builder/), they do not incorporate Toyota's ABS components such as the mounting point for the ABS and the tone ring. Without the ABS sensors working, does the truck go into limp mode? I've looked and looked online about fully removing the ABS module or fully disabling the unit. Not much comes up, other than the fact that it will set off your dash like the 4th of July. I've also read it may possible disable your 4X4 system. Can anyone confirm on this? I'd like to FULLY disable or remove the ABS system, not just

That being said, I'd like to retain my 4X4 capability even though I will be in 2WD 99.9% of the time. Our trucks are filthy heavy and it is weak against the soft and silty terrain. The 4X4 would just help me get out of a tough spot until I can reengage 2WD. It it my opinion that if I have to scrap the 4X4 option, I would just be carrying extra dead weight around from the transfer case and the front differential and no point of doing this to a 4X4 capable vehicle.

This thread will be a long list of things to be addressed and I am hoping it will also help others in the future that want to pioneer into this bottomless money pit.

If I tagged you, I believe you are also knowledgeable in this realm @ViktorG @KevinK @joonbug @Dez@Nexgenoffroad

reywcms, KevinK, snivilous and 2 others like this.
  2. Feb 6, 2021 at 6:37 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yes I’ve heard it’s possible but takes a lot of work. Exactly what it entails I have no idea. I have a buddy currently backhalfing his Tundra but he hasn’t gotten that far yet. I’ll let you know if I hear anything.

831Tun, KevinK, Rica25 and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
  4. Feb 6, 2021 at 9:05 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @joonbug

That's good to know! I know some people have already done some 4 linked stuff, but they retain the factory axle. I do know Toyota over engineered the Tundra components including the axle, but I believe upgrading the it to be a full floater will provide additional benefits.

KevinK, Rica25 and joonbug like this.
  5. Feb 6, 2021 at 9:29 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Where do you live and what are you building your truck for?

6. Feb 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    Can confirm that the ABS light will lock you out of 4wd. Happened to a guy I was on a trail run with. He showed up to the trail head with an ABS light on. He couldn't get it into 4wd. IIRC, he pulled fuse 68 and was able to get into 4wd, but no VSC. Still had lights on though. YMMV, this was on an older gen 2, like 07 or 08.

Full back half or are you keeping the rear frame?

KevinK, snivilous and Percheron[OP] like this.
  7. Feb 6, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    I live in Arizona now! Moved from Cali. I'd be lying to you if I told you I was gonna use this truck to race. But I am doing more and more Baja style runs. I am addicted to speed. If I wanted to do the slow stuff and overland, I'd probably get a Wrangler of some sort. Honestly, I am sticking with Toyota for a number of reasons. First, I like the engine and transmission. It is a testament from Toyota's reliable engineering. Secondly, I like being unique. It seems most built setups are rangers, raptors, silverados, tacomas, etc etc. It is rare to see a built Tundra. And third, the travel numbers for a 4wd drive is damn good! I looked other truck travel numbers and some don't even get close to what we can do! I was astounded by this fact. SVC's kit for their raptor tops out at 16in. The LSK kit for our truck is around 17 - 17.5in.

8. Feb 6, 2021 at 9:51 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @GravityGear

Outstanding anecdote! Yes! Based on my research, I believe that is the red 50 amp ABS fuse. I don't remember if that is considered ABS#1 or #2. All I remember is there is a Red fuse and a Green one. I couldn't care about VSC. Where I am going, that vocabulary doesn't exist :D. I am hoping someone can chime in on this matter! Otherwise I'll be the guinea pig to find out. However, I am concerned that it will pop a CEL. I can't have a CEL whenever I go in for a smog check.

Oh and to answer your question, it will be a full back half. That back portion of the frame is going bye bye!

cavalry bear, KevinK and joonbug like this.
  9. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:02 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, should be the red one iirc. Just try it in the morning... Worse that happens is you put it back. I don't remember a CEL on in his truck, but I really didn't look too hard. He was pretty upset and flustered because we were all waiting on him and he drove like 2 hours to meet us.

You're going this far and no center mount? Blaze a trail and put a 4400 ifs on there...

Who's building it? 454?

10. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:08 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yes it’s the little red one. I used to pull it every time I got on dirt. That little sucker is difficult to get out. I wrapped some fishing line around it and tied a little loop to grab and pull easier.

831Tun, KevinK and Percheron[OP] like this.
  11. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:09 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @GravityGear

Haha, shietttttt. As of right now, my analogy is that I am the space shuttle Columbia venturing off into space. We all know what will happen we I come back into orbit for reentry. Now you want me to navigate near a black hole? I'll come apart before I can even make it back home!

KevinK and GravityGear like this.
  12. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:14 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @joonbug
    Did you get any CELs and were you able to get your rig in 4Hi? If that's the case, when we put in the new rear end, I will yoink the rear ABS sensors out and just pull the red ABS fuse. That seems simple enough? As for the lights on the dash, my friend black sharpie should do the trick!

13. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:16 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:

Lol. I'm just dreamin with you man.

You mentioned emissions checks... AZ has those? If you're going 4 link, you're most likely gonna lose your stock fuel tank. Make sure you'll pass emissions with a fuel cell. I know CA won't pass aftermarket tanks.

831Tun and Percheron[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  14. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @GravityGear

haha I got a wild imagination man. Smog check back in Cali if I every decide to move back... Luckily I got a guy that can help me out wink wink. He just told me that the system will fail me if I have any CEL lights.

GravityGear likes this.
  15. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:22 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Just one light on the dash stayed on, think it was the ABS light? Turned back off once the fuse went back in. It’s weird because most people don’t have a problem with their ABS. Me and @KevinK did. I almost wrecked my old truck a few times because of it. My new truck seems better so far. But I haven’t got that many miles on it. Let’s see if Kevin chimes in.

16. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:25 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    And yes, 4H wasn’t affected by pulling the fuse.

831Tun and Percheron[OP] like this.
  17. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:26 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:

No VSC light for you? I could have sworn there was a VSC light on the dude's truck, but it may have just been because his was messed up already.

18. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:33 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Might’ve been the vsc light. Actually maybe the parking brake light too? Can’t remember, it’s been a couple of years. :rofl: Also had tpms light on too so I never looked down. Haha.

Sunnier and GravityGear[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:33 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    IIRC, it should be parking brake, abs and vsc.

joonbug[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:38 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
  21. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:52 PM
    Nick T

Nick T New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    That camburg you linked for the rear end only has 10 inch ring gear as a max. Why not go with a 11.5 full float from any of the domestic diesels? They are full float, handle 1000lbs of diesel torque as well as loads more payload then any tundra and come with abs. I am sure you can get the ring signals to sync up or fab a ring with the number of teeth toyota uses. Probably end up alot cheaper then the camburg route.

cavalry bear and Sunnier like this.
  22. Feb 6, 2021 at 11:39 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @Nick T
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. While I don't doubt that would be a cheaper route, I don't think I need that super heavy duty. I do like the fact it is cheaper! It is purely my opinion, but the Camburg and Currie rear ends look sleeker and more visually appealing. The 11.5 setup housing might look out of place underneath the truck. I would totally throw that on a Unimog or a Kamaz rig though!

23. Feb 7, 2021 at 4:26 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I’m in AZ, if you want a ride in a LT Tundra that gets beat off road let me know. Was going to link the rear, but for many reasons decided it’s not correct for me (use my truck to drive on road to go off-road):notsure:. LSK kit is nice, but barely 15” travel with 4wd, CVs limit it. I have RCV axles at 14” travel and have issues so don’t think they have more travel worth noting. Can definitely work around ABS system, but a build of your level probably ditch all that for a better brake system, need Hoon handle lol..

24. Feb 7, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
  25. Feb 7, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    Percheron

Member:
    @Vizsla Interesting. That is good to know. Thanks for the offer! Is your LSK the bolt on kit or the race kit? I do know their bolt on kit gets 14.5 inches. I am gonna go with their race kit. If you don't mind letting me know which city you live in and some shops you recommend? I am also curious about your RCV issues. I would be upgrading to the RCV CV Axle set(https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-ifs-cv-axle-set-for-toyota-tundra-07-sequoia-08-13.html).

As for on road manners, while I would love to have it handle like a corvette, I do know where to set realistic expectations. I love the fact that some people believe upgrading your suspension for off road makes your on road drivability better. False. The characteristics are on the opposite side of each other on the same spectrum. While I would love to have this as a daily, I would only drive it around town on the weekends when I am home. I'm never home during the work week. Plus I have a second car as a backup!

Yes, we are more than likely doing a custom center console with a fun handle haha

26. Feb 7, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I have TC, fab shop that built mine did 2 LSK race kits while my build was progressing, have no experience with the bolt on kit. One was 2wd with LSK daily driver links in the rear, the other is @joonbug with 4wd and 3” rear leaf springs. Lots of work to install the race kit properly, not even sure the shop that built mine would use it vs. building from scratch. I live in Queen Creek, so if you need shops in the east valley pm me. Haven’t had time to cycle the suspension and pull the RCV axles to find the issue.

27. Feb 7, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    Percheron

Member:
    @joonbug @Vizsla

Something occurred to me. It seems like the CV is the weakest link the the LSK setup. Do you think a differential relocation or drop would help maximize the travel numbers as well as alleviate the stress on the CV at full droop?

28. Feb 12, 2021 at 1:56 PM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    hey dude! :cheers:

I was gonna ask @Vizsla to chime in but I see he already has.

yep you found it. 3 lights among many others I ignore. LoL

Dif drop is an interesting idea. @roypark what was the driving situation when your front axle would pop?

Percheron[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  29. Feb 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    RSG has a 5th gen 4runner with I think a Currie rear axle that has working ABS tone rings.

Percheron[OP] likes this.
  30. Feb 13, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:

To Top