1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.6 Towing with no Tow Package

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by hudrock, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nov 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    hudrock

hudrock [OP] New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Truck, White, Cool
    Never towed a trailer so wanted to pick the brains of the smart guys on here. I searched around here a bit and found some answers and some more questions, I love these forums but sometimes to much infomation lol. I have a pretty basic 2018 4.6L Crewmax, no tow packing but has the standard tow hitch receiver with 4/7 pin connector and 3.91 gears.

It’s just the me, the wife and a dog and have no wants/desire for a big trailer but would I have any issues towing a small camper as is? Looking at max weight of like 1500 -3000 lbs - like a Jayco Hummingbird or Little guy Trailer. I’m assuming It can since my model is rated for like 6,700 lbs but I know the devil is in the details. It could be my own ignorance but I didn’t think I would need a "tow package" for a little type travel trailer as its more for more for heavy duty towing with HD oil & transmission cooling - big trailers and boats, etc.. One thing I’m not certain on is the braking. Can the Tundra handle a little trailer as it or would that be one of the things I’m missing with out the tow package? Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ My balls was hot Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    First find out if the camper you want to purchase has a braking axle.

If yes:

Brake controller, from the aftermarket world is best.

Since you don’t have tow haul mode, you just became the computer. Shift into S mode and do the manual shifting yourself. I’m sure you will find yourself in 3-5 most days at freeway speeds depending on where you travel.

Enjoy your new camper, truck, and travels.

hudrock [OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 4, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    Trd307

Trd307 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    2013 white tundra grade tundra

Hook on to it and see what happens! If it says max is 6700 don't go over that. 3k pounds shouldn't bother your truck. Just make sure all your lights work and don't do major grades without practice!

hudrock [OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top