1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd year ownership

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Apr 5, 2016 at 5:59 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    4-4-16 marked the third year of my 12' CM Tundra.

Miles on truck: 70065

Parts/items failed in ownership:

- Seat belt guide. Not sure what is up with that, but I am on my third one. This time I took my system apart on the drivers side and shimmed the guild out a bit. Seems to be helping.

Parts/items upgraded in ownership:
    - Centric slotted/drilled rotors, centric pads.
    - LT tires
    - Softopper
    - Hellwig helper springs
    - Husky molded floor mats
    - window visors
    - AFE drop in filter.
    - K&N HVAC washable filter

Upgrade likes/dislikes:

- Window visors are loud going down the road. These may come out.
    - LT tires. Love the stability of the LT tires, maybe just not the LR E I have. Very heavy and hard to balance.

- Hellwig helper springs. They work great if you have a constant load. When empty, they suck. These will most likely be coming off my truck and air bags installed. I was trying to stay away from needing an air source. It is just hard to beat the ride quality of a bagged truck under load and empty. So I blew 68.00.

- Brakes. Wow. My factory rotors were still good when upgrading to the Centric ones. No doubt they would have seen 120+k miles. The new pads and rotors really compliment an already great braking system. When the rears need replacement, I will go this route again.

Wear parts replaced:

- one windshield
    - 3 wiper blades.
    - factory tires at 36000 miles
    - front pads were replaced at 64k

Maintenance Items:

- Transmission checked 30k, fluid changed 60k and will change fluid every 30k here on out. 191.00 was the cost at the dealership.
    - Differentials, transfer case fluids were done at 3k, 30, 60k
    - Motor oil changed every 4800-5200 miles.
    - power steering fluid changed 50k
    - alignment has been checked four times in 70k miles. Still on factory one for the most part. The toe was set to the bottom of the specs. This has been really good to my tires and mpg in my opinion.

So far, truck has been rock solid performer. Highway mpg ranges from 17-20. Average empty highway is 18.4. Average mixed city/highway is 13-15 mpg. Towing has been 9-10.5 mpg depending on load.

2. Apr 5, 2016 at 7:42 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Good feedback. I've never heard of the seatbelt issue, but things do happen.

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 5, 2016 at 9:09 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Nobody has Sean. If this is my only problem with my truck, I'm good.

Another 9k miles and this will be the best vehicle I have ever owned and beat out the 1995 Chevy truck I owned many moons ago. To be fair though, that truck never seen a day of work either. The Tundra has seen plenty of work, that is for sure.

NewImprovedRon and T-Rex266 like this.
  4. Apr 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Thank you. I am hoping for another three years for this truck. That should put me just under 150k miles.

5. Apr 5, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I sure hope that is the case.

I was looking into diesel F-series trucks, but I can see myself staying with a Tundra and buying something like this for my tow duties. I would never have to worry about tow ratings again, and in most cases these are cheaper than a new 1 ton truck. This one is pretty pricy, but most of them I see under 50k.

image.jpg

6. Apr 5, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Probably something like this:

image.jpg

7. Apr 5, 2016 at 8:12 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Yeah it is just safer when up around 25k lbs. Most modern dually trucks can pull that kind of weight, but they are just so flippen expensive. I seen a Ram 3500 limited Laramie for 75000.00 the other day. These top three diesel manufactures are pricing themselves right out of the market. These FL or Topkick class 5/7 trucks will flat out pull, last way longer, more comfortable and usually have pretty good long term operation costs vs distroying a one ton truck.

For instance, let's take tires. Usually a set of 6 tires for a dually truck are at least 1500.00 and maybe last 50k. You can get tires for the FL for about the same cost and get over 100k miles out of them especially if not loaded to the hilt.

8. Apr 5, 2016 at 10:39 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Id rock the F650 if needed
    [​IMG]

9. Apr 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    To tall. They look cool though.

10. Apr 6, 2016 at 12:39 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Thanks for the write up on the Helwig helper springs, was looking at going that route. I don't want to go airbag, so will ad a leaf be better than a block? Just wondering, thanks

11. Apr 6, 2016 at 1:47 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    An add-a-leaf and Hellwig helper spring are two different set ups. What are you trying to accomplish? If you are wanting extra spring rate the Hellwig helper spring/air bag set up is what you are looking for. If you are looking for a lift, add a leaf or new spring pack is what you are looking for. I'm not much of a fan when it comes to lift blocks. Axle wrap sucks.

12. Apr 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Not trying to do a whole lot, I do tow some, but nothing big or heavy. Just thought that Helwig would be a nice addition. As for the block, I'm eventually going with 6112's up front maxed out and 5100's in the back. A 1" block if needed. I was told that 1" wasn't gonna cause any problems. I might not need it or could go with a leaf system. Thanks for chiming in TJ

13. Apr 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    You should be fine with a 1" block.

rons23 likes this.
  14. Apr 6, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I have the 1" block and no vibrations or axle wrap. Heard the add a leafs are too stiff for unloaded truck beds and many complain.

Products Discussed in

To Top