1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen TRD PRO or 3rd Gen Ford Raptor, help!

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by UAL777JET, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Dec 23, 2021 at 2:59 AM
    UAL777JET

UAL777JET [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra Pro
    I need some input and know you guys will share your opinions. I have owned many vehicles, but mostly Toyota and Lexus due to reliability and resale. Since buying trucks the list is; 2016 Toyota Tacoma Sport, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Pro, 2021 Toyota Tundra Pro. Should have went to the Tundra first, but enjoyed the Tacoma’s. The trucks are the only vehicles I bought new due to resale being so high on used trucks. I sold the 2021 Tundra a few months back after putting 10k miles on it for $5k over MSRP. I am number one for a 2022 Tundra TRD Pro. Don’t know the price, guessing at least 70k, don’t know the date, probably April. So as I wait, I start looking at the 2021 gen 3 Ford Raptor. Always looked like a sweet truck, but way too much money. With an 801A it specs out with as much or more than the Pro. Price ends up around $77k. Resale IMO is pretty equal to the Tundra. Reliability is yet to be seen on both, but I trust Toyota. Cool factor goes to Raptor, 35’s or 37’s stock, metal bumpers with tow hooks, sorry! I probably won’t keep past warranty period, EV truck will probably have my attention by then. Thanks for your input!
    Lower towing on Raptor, meets my needs. MPG will better on the Tundra.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  2. Dec 23, 2021 at 3:37 AM
    Thenuwguy

Thenuwguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    If price isn’t a factor then I think it comes down to reliability. I agree in that the looks of the Raptor are on point. However, I also feel you will be seeing your great looking truck at the dealer service station a lot more than you would in a tundra. Ford reliability makes it so that I don’t consider them when purchasing truck but the raptor is a gorgeous truck.

g6t9ed likes this.
  3. Dec 23, 2021 at 3:39 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    It sounds like you change vehicles as much as your socks. Reliability be damned! You won’t keep either long enough to test that. Get what you want, enjoy it for 10 months, then get the next new thing.

4. Dec 23, 2021 at 3:55 AM
    thedonn

thedonn New Member

Member:
    Cant go wrong either way but those Raptors are sweeeeeet. if i wasnt going to keep mine for a long time it would wipe out the huge reliability advntage the Toyota has. I also like the Raptor looks more than the 22

worktruckwhite, 1UP and Minarets like this.
  5. Dec 23, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    UAL777JET

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    Even with warranty, I don’t like trips to the dealership. But, with the number they sell, is it really as bad as the perception? I take care of my vehicles and do the maintenance as prescribed.

6. Dec 23, 2021 at 4:07 AM
    UAL777JET

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    What I am thinking. When I bought two year old vehicles, reliability was number 1. Now sweeeet is edging it’s way up, LOL!

7. Dec 23, 2021 at 4:07 AM
    UAL777JET

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    You are probably right, thank you!

PermaFrostTRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 23, 2021 at 4:47 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    For the long term, I'd take the personality over looks. Personality will lead to a much longer reliable bond. When the honeymoon phase wears off, looks alone will not justify the decision because its purely superficial....wait I think I'm in the wrong thread.

9. Dec 23, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    poheller

poheller 2018 Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Scot
    The great state Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 platinum
    Shit you not! My neighbor a DEPUTY Sheriff, bought a SR5 had if a few month, went in for an oil change came home with a 1794. About 9 month later traded for a raptor had it almost a year and traded it for a Ford Queen Ranch, sorry King Ranch had it about 7 months and back into a Limited Tundra. He did say he’s very happy with the Tundra over the other truck. Time will tell, hard to fight the itch.

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  10. Dec 23, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    RavingOx

RavingOx Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum in Black
    There should be a “Took my … in for an oil change, came home with a …” thread.

11. Dec 23, 2021 at 5:30 AM
    poheller

poheller 2018 Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Scot
    The great state Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 platinum
    Isn’t that the truth.

12. Dec 23, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    OppoMojo

OppoMojo New Member

Member:
    Sounds like you want the Raptor deep down. Go with that feeling and find out where it takes you. Might be really fun or you might have to adjust again.

worktruckwhite and 1UP like this.
  13. Dec 23, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    A wise man (my grandpa) once said: "You can't f@&k personality". He also told me to marry a woman with small hands. My wife's 5'1". LOL
    He also had one glass eye, was blind in the other and would kick my ass at UNO. True story.
    Sorry for going off on a tangent.

14. Dec 23, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    If owning the truck less than 2 years, reliability should minimally affect your decision. Toyota wins my vote because I keep my vehicles more than a decade and multi-hundreds of thousands of miles... something a Ford will not achieve reliably. But both of those vehicles will have great resale within the first 2 yrs, beyond that the ford will start Craptoring out and the scale tips definitively towards the Yota. Go with the bigger tire, techy, cooler looking Craptor for a fun year or two, and enjoy it.!
    Then, when the chaos of the new Tundra is quieted down trade it for a Pro and come back to your senses.

ElNopal and snivilous like this.
  15. Dec 23, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    OppoMojo

OppoMojo New Member

Member:
    I imagine small hand are good for playing with small things...lol

16. Dec 23, 2021 at 6:20 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    /\ buddy gets it

OppoMojo likes this.
  17. Dec 23, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
    Keep in mind towing/payload on the Raptor as well if that is something you need. Not that the Tundra is great, and we don't know what the TRD Pro will be, but the Raptor is very low.

18. Dec 23, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    trekkar

trekkar New Member

Member:
    northeast CT
    I go raptor, but even if you can find an allocation for msrp, it's gonna probably be a 9 month wait. I called a few dealers and there 22 allocations are taken or they want 15k adm. But I'm looking for a base and I like the no moonroof option in the raptor, it looks like a trdpro doesn't have that option. Unless the trdpro starts low 60s I'd take a base raptor for 65k. If I'm going over 65k I'm going trx, supposedly you can order one for about 10% off msrp so high 60s

19. Dec 23, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    thedonn

thedonn New Member

Member:

I would hate to have to chose between the two. If i did i would be pretty unhappy. the phrase cry once is probably more appropriate to spouses lol. my honest opinion is get the prettiest truck you can afford :)

20. Dec 23, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    thedonn

thedonn New Member

Member:

Shots fired! lol

21. Dec 23, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    TruPatriot

TruPatriot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Northeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM Mall Crawler & Trail Riding Queen
    Hmm…You stated that you wouldn’t keep either truck past warranty period and you’ve had many Toyota’s. I say go where you’ve never been. Raptor with 37’s then look for your next adventure!

john1062 and UAL777JET[OP] like this.
  22. Dec 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM
    ColoradoCub

ColoradoCub New Member

Member:
    If you don’t plan on owning it forever , Raptor all day every day. A buddy has one and it’s a friggin beast. Off-road it’s untouchable by the typical Bilstein upgrade type off-road package from most makes. But when it starts breaking…….get your checkbook out!

worktruckwhite and snivilous like this.
  23. Dec 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    This is like asking strangers for help picking between two houses that you want to buy. We can offer our opinions all day but what I'll choose may not be what you choose. Circumstances and use cases are different person to person.

It all comes down to what you're using the truck for and what you want to get out of it.
    • You say you won't keep it past the warranty period and only drove your last truck to 10k miles - So reliability is pretty much a non-factor for you.
    • You seem to change vehicles like the wind - That's not a knock. If you've got the money to do it, good for you. If that's actually the case, then I would select the one with the higher resale value (lower decrepitation percentage). That would point to Toyota since you'll retain more of your money.
    • Assuming you're going off-road with these trucks - What kind of off-roading do you want to do? Overlanding/Off-Road trails? Then Tundra. High-speed Baja style off-road? Then Raptor. The two trucks are designed with a different "off road enthusiast" in mind for each.
    • If you just want something for the "cool factor" - Go with the Raptor. People will ogle it all day when it's parked at the mall or in your driveway. More so than a Tundra (even a TRD Pro).
    • You mention MPG but buy expensive trucks frequently. If you commute with it daily and care about your fuel costs...then go Tundra. If you make enough money to the point where you don't think twice about how much money you spend on fuel...then go Raptor.
    • You don't mention location. Where I live would also impact my choice. I have to park in a parking garage for work. No way is a Raptor, with its width, fitting into my parking space at work. It would also eliminate my ability to drive it into the city since most (not all but most) venues here use parking garages. Of course, there's ways around that, but it would be a PIA to find surface parking everywhere I went each time. This points to Tundra.
    • If you're just going to lift the truck, slap a ton of aftermarket accessories on it, and use it a "show pony" then just go with the Raptor since most of that is already done for you at the factory.
    I respect the Raptor's capabilities and have even got to drive one of the Turbo V6 ones in the NV desert. It was a blast! However, I hate how "loud" of a personality the truck has. It's just not my style. Especially with the newer graphics on the latest generation. I mean come on...putting "37" in graphics on the truck is kinda dumb (IMO). If you actually cared about having 37s, knew what they were, and actually used them...you could obviously see them on the truck. There would be no need to advertise them to everyone in the grocery store parking lot. My opinion on the whole "Raptor Personality" they design into the truck.

My 2 cents. It's hard to give qualitative information on a question like this, unless you were just looking to spark a conversation. In that case...mission accomplished.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    AircareTundra and JLS in WA like this.
  24. Dec 23, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    Pro is not comparable to the Raptor.

Tremor is probably the best Ford comparable model.

No question I'd get the Raptor assuming your paying MSRP. Since your going down that road, I'd get the TRX over both if you can find one at MSRP.

AircareTundra and belanger9 like this.
  25. Dec 23, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    thedonn

thedonn New Member

Member:
    Hell Yes to that

1UP[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Dec 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
  27. Dec 23, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    randomquickness

randomquickness New Member

Member:
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt as i’ve never owned a toyota, just waiting for my tundra allocation. I’m ditching a $71k+ f-150 to get it because the ford has been the worst ownership experience of any vehicle i’ve ever had. It has recalls left and right and i’ve had several issues with it outside of that (only at 46k miles right now.) Plenty of folks have told me they had great experience with their f-150’s so i may have just ended up with a lemon, it happens. What i can’t overlook is the dealerships “fixing” it only to find they have charged me to not fix anything. Eveytime i pick it up, i have to turn around and drop it back off. If the trd pro breaks half as often and the dealer is able to fix it, that would be my choice all day long. Either way you’re gonna have a sweet truck! Enjoy it!

28. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
  29. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    Toyotafanboy

Toyotafanboy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    SoCal
    Toyota hands down.

30. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    UAL777JET

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    Guess I am hoping a former Raptor owner gets on here and says it was the biggest POS he ever had! If my guess on the the price wasn’t so close, wouldn’t have started the discussion. I am frugal by nature.

Products Discussed in

To Top