1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Brake Light Not Working

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Timmy1258, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Sep 15, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    Timmy1258

Timmy1258 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra Ltd
    Here I am, yet again, posting about a problem I caused instead of actually contributing something to this forum.

Anyways, I decided to install an Anzo LED 3rd brake light. Looks decent enough and should’ve just been plug and play. However, it, of course, does not work. The cargo lamps will come on very dimly and when I press the brake, instead of the red coming on, it just turns off the cargo lights.

The ideas I had were either A) it’s just a lemon or B) I may need a resistor.

That is until tonight, when the plot possibly thickened. I also installed LED brake/running lights, turn signals, and reverse lights. The running lights would act as daytime running lights, I originally thought, as they stay on when I unlock the truck. Tonight, though, I backed up towards the garage door and did not see the light reflecting off the door. I hit the cargo lamp out of curiosity and they turn on then. So when I unlock the truck or open the door, they stay on and turn off with the cargo lamps, as well as when I hit the cargo lamp button.

Also, new flasher relay for the LEDs, so hyper flashing for signals is not an issue. It didn’t make a difference with the brake/3rd brake lights anyways.

The only thing I can think of is that LED brake/running lights are on a constant hot wire, and because the LEDs don’t require as much power to run, that little bit of power running through it goes to the LEDs instead of just not going through. In effect, that doesn’t give 3rd brake light as much power.
    But I have no idea what the hell Im talking about and this post is extremely long as it is.

I’d just like to get some possible solutions. Everything worked perfectly fine before the swaps, too.

2. Sep 16, 2019 at 11:54 PM
    PenderBen

PenderBen Forum lurker…

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    I have no specific ideas what could cause those problems, but I’d try going back to stock bulbs and then trying each replacement one at a time, like maybe put all halogen back in the tail lights and see if the third brake/cargo light works right.
    Do the reverse lights and turn signals work properly? If they’re okay maybe leave those LEDs in, but since the tail light/brake are the same circuit as the third brake and cargo light try those one at a time and see if they work right individually, if they do maybe you’re right about needing a resistor, but I would think at each tail light, not at the third brake light.
    Again, all kind of a guess, I’ve never done LEDs with my Tundra, but I’ve chased down similar problems on other rides.

15whtrd likes this.
  3. Sep 17, 2019 at 9:30 AM
    Timmy1258

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra Ltd
    Tried doing that last night. The LEDs in the brake nights won’t run with the cargo lamps with the stock 3rd brake lights. With both stock and LEDs in the brakes with the stock 3rd light, the cargo lamps work fine but not the 3rd brake. Tried a couple different bulbs up there, but a halogen wouldn’t work no matter the combination. However, I put an LED in the 3rd housing and it everything works perfectly fine with that. Maybe I just got a bad 3rd brake light from Anzo.

All other LEDs, both interior and exterior, work fine. I’m sending the Anzo light back and, if it is exchanged and still get the same things, I’ll try to figure out how to put a resistor in on the brake lights to see if that does it.

4. Sep 17, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    What happens if you replace the LED's back with halogen bulbs? Does everything seem to work fine then? Get yourself an ohm meter and check each connection. My assumption would be that running LED's everywhere is causing an issue since they don't require as much power to run them. I'd also take a test light to the third brake light connector to see what you get there as well.

5. Sep 17, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    Timmy1258

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra Ltd
    That’s what I did. With it all back to halogen, stock 3rd wouldn’t work but stock cargo lamps were fine. Pretty much everything except 3rd worked fine. LEDs in the regular brakes/running did the same thing. When I put an LED bulb in place of the stock bulb for the 3rd, everything worked perfectly fine. The Anzo 3rd lights/housing did not work no matter what, however.

6. Sep 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Take a test light to the connection and check fuses.

TX-TRD1stGEN likes this.
  7. Sep 17, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    Timmy1258

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra Ltd
    Fuses are good. Will post an update whenever I get around to test light. It’s working good at the moment, with LED 3rd, halogen cargos, and LED brakes, at least.

8. Oct 13, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    gooseman

gooseman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Ex
    Super sound system
    Just did all of mine, in and out. Talk to Linda at super Brite LEDs. Tons of knowledge and the best bulbs and needed load resistors to get things perfect. Had tried some crap from Amazon, but most of it wasn't correct. Linda walked me right through it. it's awesome when everything works correctly.

bmf4069 likes this.
  9. May 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    wcooperider3rd

wcooperider3rd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Double Cab Sr5 4.7L RWD
    Hey, trying to see if you resolved this ? Did you exchange for a new one? Or just an all around different set up? Just got the same part and it did the same exact thing to me

10. May 9, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I’m guessing we should stick with OEM for our 3rd Brake Lights. Higher quality LED’s work fine in the Original Assy. I’m using Zevo Sylvanias in mine.

Tundra2 likes this.
  11. May 9, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    Aftermarket is prone to cab leaks and failures with non-servicable led boards.

Oem has brand new water proof gasket, and serviceable bulbs to be replaced as needed.

Not a job I'd want to do again, but very glad I did as old cab seal was gunky, and in need of cleaning.

12. May 10, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    You guys are slacking.

images (5).jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top