1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2UZ-FE Power loss at 4000rpm

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by Krazie Sj, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Mar 28, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    What does the dipstick say at the bottom! And absolutely not, w/s fluid will not work correctly in a T4 or dexrob trans!

2. Mar 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj [OP] Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mall Crawler Extordinare
    All Pro Long Travel with Walker Evan Coil Overs, All Pro Expedition Leaves with Walker Evan Resi Shocks, All Pro IFS, transmission and E-Locker skid plates/guards, ARB Bumper with Kragen LED flood lights, 10,000lb SuperWinch, All Pro Rear Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Custom RTT Rack with Roto Pack, ARB Simpson RTT, Bed Tray. 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs and 285x75R16 Yokohama Geolander it g072. Airaid Short ram intake, Intake manifold spacer, Borla Cat back Exhaust.
    "Welp. There's your problem mister!"

I'll do a full flush with the correct fluid. I only put in maybe a quart of W/S.

Aisin needs to stick with one fluid type. :p
    (just kidding, I realize they need to evolve fluid types with new trannies.)

3. Mar 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Long Travel with Walker Evan Coil Overs, All Pro Expedition Leaves with Walker Evan Resi Shocks, All Pro IFS, transmission and E-Locker skid plates/guards, ARB Bumper with Kragen LED flood lights, 10,000lb SuperWinch, All Pro Rear Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Custom RTT Rack with Roto Pack, ARB Simpson RTT, Bed Tray. 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs and 285x75R16 Yokohama Geolander it g072. Airaid Short ram intake, Intake manifold spacer, Borla Cat back Exhaust.
    Here's the next question. Flush first then filter. Or filter then flush?

4. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    If it was me..

I would replace the filter flush it. Pull the filter inspect the filter for trash happened during the flush then replace it with a new one.

Edit... Inspect the filter coming out of the transmission that's in there now when you remove it. Pull it apart and look at it

5. Mar 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Thems alot of filters.

Checked and bought 10 litres of Dex III fluid as per the dipstick (said Dex II or Dex II/III).
    So if the weather is nice I'll tackle that tomorrow.

6. Mar 30, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I would flush then replace filter and readjust level. Depending on mileage I bet the filter is fine. U didn't contaminate the fluid with dirt, u just used the wrong fluid....

Krazie Sj[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 30, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
  8. Mar 30, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Krazie Sj[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 31, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
  10. Mar 31, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
  11. Mar 31, 2016 at 9:08 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Just be congisant of the date on there please.

12. Mar 31, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Play nice. My truck is probably more modified than yours and all done by myself. :p

I'll poop on your lawn!

Also checked the sequoia again, misfiring on 4,5,8 today. Bugger.

13. Mar 31, 2016 at 8:21 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    I have to show my dominance. Any weakness will be punished.
    Also in pretty happy with how much I've learned on here and tacoma world since then. :D

14. Apr 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    So got a few more misfires registered with the switched coil packs.
    Highly doubt it's the packs as they were flawless in the tundra.
    Also it seems to be it's gutless when it goes into open loop. Closed we're fine. Closed loop it seems just a little less peppy than the tundra. Open loop. Nothing.
    Also, is it supposed to go into OP when coasting?

What connections can I check to see if its just something electrical loose?

15. Apr 1, 2016 at 8:37 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Your truck reminds me of a woman on her 9th day bleeding and still bitching.

16. Apr 1, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Sounds about right.

17. Apr 2, 2016 at 9:01 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    There are a few ground ppints I would check on top of valve covers... kinda neat the intake plenium.... open loop meaning wot? Or open loop meaning as its warming up from cold.

Really really need a scan tool that shows live misfire data....

Have you checked timing belt timing?

18. Apr 2, 2016 at 9:54 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Checked, undid then reattached a few grounds I found near the front right light. Took apart and reattached also every electrical connection under the hood I could find. Incoming pics from flush/filter change.

And open loop accelerating. I'll be doing 45-50 then hammer it to 3500-4000 RPM and it'll go into OL. Not pedal to the floor and not 5500 rpm kinda thing. I admit I don't know what it's protocol and paramedics are for switching from CL to OL though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  19. Apr 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
  20. Apr 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    After the change in filter whats the update?

21. Apr 3, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    There's alot of brass in that pan....

22. Apr 3, 2016 at 9:58 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I didn't think that much shrapnel should be in there.

Update, I only hands two screws left over when I was done...

One for the filter, square in the middle, hand tightened it straight out, stripped the threads out.

Other was front middle of the pan.
    Was going in tough from the get go, thought maybe cross threaded. Took it out, reseated it, nope fine. Maybe the rubber gasket was in the way a bit? Tightened it with the wrench holding it by the mechanism not the handle, got it down to the pan and then it started turning real easy...
    Said fuck it and left it in.

Shift points are smoother. Still kinda Hangs changing gears still. Might not have learned the new points from having new fluid. Haven't been able to take it on the highway and hammer it yet. Stay tuned.

23. Apr 4, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Disconnect the battery for a bit, wipe it's memory

24. Apr 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Rgr.

Also no I haven't checked the timing belt yet. Requires a little more tear down of the vehicle and I require it for it's baby carrying capacity. My LTed Taco can do it, but not as well. :p

LOTSOFTOYS likes this.
  25. Apr 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    K, haven't DC'ed the battery post yet, but I took it to work today and hammered it on the highway. Still no give at 4500 RPM. The speedometer moves so slowly and there's still a massive let go from the tranny when it downshifts at this speed. At slower speeds/RPMs the shift is seamless. But going hard it still feels like a sloppy shift, as if the clutch packs are taking to long to disengage and then finally let go. Or the TC is unlocked and just spinning away VS putting the power down. I dunno, trannys are kinda mystical to me.

Engine was revving great though.

Tranny is perfectly filled, checked both hot and cold. No leaks.

26. Apr 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Trans has gotta be cooked. Based on all that brass and what you told us.... I'm thinkin it's toast

27. Apr 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    clutch packs are shot.

28. Apr 6, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Well that's awesome...

29. Jul 18, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Mystery solved scooby.

Timing belt was off by 2 teeth. One more tooth and the valves would have been smashed by the pistons. Fixed it now. Takes off like a raped ape!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    TheBeast likes this.
  30. Apr 18, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    Dean-Hates-His-Rigs

Dean-Hates-His-Rigs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicholas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Sequoia
    So I just started noticing this exact same issue today and I got a check engine light. Falls on its face, and hardly any acceleration after 4000-4500rpm and above. Haven't scanned it or done anything but google. So my timing belt was done 40,000 miles ago. Was the ONLY thing that fixed your low power band issue 100% was timing???? Mine hangs In-between gears forever it seems like. My exhaust is rusted out in 2 different spots. Nothing honestly major. It ran fawlessly and smoothly. 227,000 miles. Timing was done at 189,000. @Krazie Sj

Products Discussed in

To Top