1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd battery for trailer winch

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by JTP, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Jun 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    JTP

JTP [OP] The Big Black Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Sterling, Alaska (Formerly DFW Texas)
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Anyone ventured off into adding a 2nd battery? Im having my trailer brakes beefed up and adding a winch to it. Looking for any pics / advice. Found these doing a google search. Looks like a nice clean install.

Ive found a Westin kit for under mounting the additional battery under the hood. They also make another kit for mounting the 2nd battery back on the trailer.

Im leaning towards having the 2nd battery mounted back on my trailer next to the winch. I can put a solar charger on it for when Im not hooked up to it to keep it topped off.

BUT, might be good to have it under the hood for anything else that might pop up and for extra power using my front winch.

2nd bat 1.jpg 2nd bat 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    HbbTundra08 and 01erionracing like this.
  2. Jun 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Decided to go with the under the hood passenger side mounted extra battery. Will run 1 gauge under the truck back to the rear bumper and add a quick connect next to my trailer connectors.

Trailer winch will have enough cable and the other end of quick connect to reach the truck. I can cut up this 30' cable kit (best bang and everything that I need for the buck) to make what i need and will have plenty of length and gauge for running enough winch power back to the trailer.

Isolator kit is pretty straight forward and comes with everything needed under the hood included. Still hunting the right battery and tray. Might go with a Deep Cycle. Will post up some pics when Im done.

SCREW THE WESTIN CRAP. Talked to a buddy of mine about his dual battery set up and the Westin kit he bought FRICKEN MELTED! All hooked up correctly and while he was testing it it almost caught fire!

Will also add this Fastronixs power block up by the start battery for all of my HID and fog light power while I am playing electrician.

Crap, while I am at it I might as well run power into the bed for running my flat screen, satellite dish, and mini fridge. LOL ;) Phone charger and a cig plug will be just fine for what I need.

.1 guage cable.jpg battery isolator.jpg

Fastronix block.jpg

power outlet.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    HbbTundra08 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  3. Jun 18, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Looks good, nice job!

JTP[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 18, 2017 at 10:37 PM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    These are just some pics i found on the inter web. My motor is not that clean right now.

Will post up some pics of my install when I get all of my parts.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  5. Jun 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    the_midwesterner

the_midwesterner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro - Quicksand
    None, yet....
    Just posting in this so that I can come back to it for when the pictures are up. Needing to do the same thing for my trailer.

JTP[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 19, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I'm thinking that the spot the battery has in the picture is already occupied and will be difficult to use

JTP[OP] likes this.
  7. Jun 19, 2017 at 10:30 AM
    Spvrtan

Spvrtan Amateur fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black '14 CM SR5 w/ SC; 40s on 17s; 5.29s
    The newer Tundras don't have the spot easily usable anymore. You're going to have to relocate a ton of shit back in that corner. If you're going to end up relocating engine components, I would think the easiest area to move around would be the windshield washer and steering fluid reservoirs. The steering one can probably just be pushed an inch or so to the side with a bracket but the windshield washer will have to be replaced with a smaller once that can fit somewhere in the back corner.

Then you have to make a bracket that will fit in the newly made space.

8. Jul 2, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    JTP

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Got all of my "add a battery" parts. Decided to mount the 2nd battery back on the tongue of my trailer along side the winch. Will put both in a water proof box with a slot in the back down low for the winch cable to feed through back out along the trailer. Will also mount a small air compressor with some hose in the same box. Will post up some pics soon on everything.

Products Discussed in

To Top