1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

21 TRD Pro JBL Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bstringrandy, May 8, 2022.

1. May 8, 2022 at 7:31 AM
    bstringrandy

bstringrandy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    I really love my Tundra but as most have discovered, the stock JBL audio system leaves a lot to be desired. Im only 1/3 of the way into my factory warranty so I wanted to keep the head unit and wasn’t quite ready to go tearing into the doors. The first thing I did was remove the ridiculous plastic sub and install a @james@tech12volts subwoofer upgrade. https://www.shop.tech12volts.com/product.sc?productId=540

That helped a good deal but not quite enough. Next up was adding a JBL DSP4086 amp. James sells a great kit that allows you to retain the stock JBL amp. The kit comes with a rack and harness and the amp tuned for the setup you have have. https://www.shop.tech12volts.com/product.sc?productId=589 Installation was a snap with clear directions. What a difference it made!! I’m good for awhile now. Communications with James was great and I highly recommend. He has lots of solutions to fit your budget and expected outcomes!

16CDD8C3-B280-4547-87DA-F2036D4F93FF.jpg
    081A9180-192D-48A7-BC26-32D4C8EBB6F2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  2. May 15, 2022 at 3:06 PM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    Looks like they have some good deals. Sent them a message to ask about a full system upgrade. The stock jbl package is a joke. My 2014 Tacoma's jbl package was even better. The sub in the tundra is non existent most time.

3. May 15, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    Bergy24

Bergy24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4
    I added his sub like you did and have been eyeing up this amp for a while. Would you say it’s night and day? How’s the sub hit with the new amp? Stock speakers sound ok with it? I’m assuming the only wire you had to run was the power to the Battery and ground. If you get chance, I good write up would be great.

4. May 17, 2022 at 9:16 AM
    bstringrandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    Okay, this is quite a saga, but it has a happy ending! Remember, you asked for it. :) As stated, before, I replaced the sub with the sub enclosure and single JBL package from James at tech12volts. It did help the low end sound some but not enough for my taste. I ordered the JBL DSP4086 package from James. Followed the detailed instructions. Removed the stock amp and mounted it to the new amp rack. Ran the power and ground cables. Connected everything and nothing, not a light or sound to be had. A quick call to James and he had another unit wired, programmed and shipped the next day. Got the new unit wired and installed and I had sound. It was a slight improvement from before but still had issues. My iPhone was wonky on Appleplay, the fader was doing things backwards and sound was really anemic. Another call to James and we set an appointment for me to just drive to his shop in Alma GA on Monday afternoon. It was only 2 hour and 20 minutes from the house. Got to the shop and they got to work. It had them stumped for awhile, but they did get to the cause. Whoever had the truck before me reversed 2 leads in the truck's harness. It was scrambling the digital signal to the point where its wonder anything worked. Since the truck was already at the shop, I had them switch out the 4 door speakers for JL Audio C1-650 series and he had a set of Blam LFR50s that went into the dash corners.

Wow, what a difference! Sub is only set to 1/2 and it shakes the mirrors quite nicely! The overall sound is so much better and the iPhone now works as expected. To answer your question. I can't really say what the amp would sound like with stock speakers because my wiring was jacked up. I imagine it would make a sizable difference though. I can't thanks James enough for the work he and his team put into solving the riddle. Taking it to a local shop or a dealership would've been a real adventure.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  5. May 18, 2022 at 7:17 AM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    I may need to call him. Never got a reply to my contact us form

6. May 18, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    bstringrandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    :thumbsup: He also usually replies quickly to emails.

Tripleconpanna and M3Tundra-JK like this.
  7. May 18, 2022 at 7:58 AM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    Anyone know if I already bought the PAC jbl amp rca out converter, if I need to get that dsr or whatever adapter from 12volt?

8. May 18, 2022 at 8:59 AM
    Ragnarkov

Ragnarkov New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Sky Metalic Platinum Tundra
    Nothing.... yet.
    If you mean the DSR1, that decodes the signals from the canbus, sorts out the signals, and then allows you to plug In a regular amp. If your keeping the jbl amp, and this just converts the out of that amp to rca outputs, you should be fine. The dsr1 is used if you are completely removing the jbl amp entirely.

M3Tundra-JK[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 19, 2022 at 2:01 PM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    If you've worked with him in the past please email him some encouraging words.

10. May 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    OStateFlyer

OStateFlyer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    Long time listener, first time caller…

I just finished the install of the DSP4086 from Tech12volts in my ‘20 TRD Pro after having his direct replacement sub in for about a year. Still running stock speakers and HU. The DSP install was very straightforward, with everything you need in the box and the DSP setup for the truck. It took me couple of hours to install by myself after work, with a beer break or two. I buttoned up the truck and turned it on, frankly tempering my expectations based on how painless the install was…

It sounds fantastic. I’m not trying to oversell it, but it was immediately orders of magnitude better. If the stock JBL sounded like this from the factory, it would be impressive, and I think it now sounds substantially better than my wife’s ‘21 Tahoe with Bose.

Customer service was good too. I ordered via the website and got an email from James double checking my existing setup in the truck and letting me know when I could expect the DSP to ship.

Kudos to Tech12volts for this setup.

11. Jun 1, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    PermaFroxt

PermaFroxt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vito
    Vehicle:
    20 Platinum
    lil bit

Thanks for the write up. I have a 20 platinum w/JBL.

You replaced the stock JBL sub with the single 10 box and the shallow JBL sub retaining the factory amp? If that's right how did that change affect your system? Did the new sub hit hard?

And then you added the amp package. Does it also power the sub? If so, is the sub louder, hit harder? And does the system as a hole crank loud and clean now? Like do you have to turn it down now? Do phone calls sound better? Does the system hit you in the chest?

Sorry for all the questions but have been looking for someone who's done what I'm considering.

Thanks!!!

Victor

bstringrandy[OP] likes this.
  12. Jun 1, 2022 at 6:15 PM
    OStateFlyer

OStateFlyer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    You’ve got it right; swapped the sub box only first, then added the amp about a year later.

The new sub only on the stock HU and amp sounded better than factory; you could tell there was a sub finally. As a passive sub, it still did not hit hard at all, as the factor HU and amp just wouldn’t drive it. To get any remnant of decent sound took putting the volume at 45 (using high bitrate USB source). At max volume you could still talk to each other in the truck. No different than with the stock sub in that regard.

The DSP4086 transformed the system. The amp hits, it cranks loud and clear and really drives the sub. The mirrors move. Kick drums and bass sound great.

For comparison, now with volume at 35 on the HU, I and the front passenger are starting to yell if we want to talk to each other. I haven’t pushed it above 45 for fear of blowing the factory speakers. My default for driving around is 20-25 now. Phone calls are louder and clearer as well, which at face value makes sense as it is just another audio source. I had two friends in the truck yesterday for the first time after the amp install and they couldn’t believe the difference.

I sound like a shill, but I am extremely pleased with performance of the system now, particularly for the price and simple installation. Too bad Toyota and JBL didn’t get it this way out of the factory.

13. Jun 1, 2022 at 8:31 PM
    Randydw

Randydw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ozark,mo
    Vehicle:
    2021 platinum crew cab
    Nice! I got the sub 6 months ago and got amp on order. Can’t wait.

14. Jun 2, 2022 at 4:27 AM
    PermaFroxt

PermaFroxt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vito
    Vehicle:
    20 Platinum
    lil bit

Yes I have an 09 Tacoma/JBl and I never wanted to change anything. I'll look at the tech12 system again. I'm encouraged by your experience. Thanks again!

V

Edit: Just placed my order for amp & sub :spending:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  15. Jun 2, 2022 at 5:41 AM
    bstringrandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    +1 to the above. I did a sub swap and then a dsp4086 install as well. I had some issues that wound up being related to the truck wiring harness and some goofiness from the prior owner. Jame’s shop was only 2 hours from here so I drove up there and he was able to troubleshoot/fix the issue. While it was there, I had the team replace the door speakers with JL 650 series and two BLAM LFR50’s in the dash corners. What a difference!!! James and his team were great to deal with!

OStateFlyer likes this.
  16. Jun 3, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    gkelm

gkelm New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Wonder how the sub and amp upgrade would sound with the non-JBL head?

Wish James was only 2 hrs from me in case I run into obstacles. ;)

17. Jun 4, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    bstringrandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    Not sure but I imagine that the difference would be comparable. The particular amp setup I got was specific to JBL equipped Tundras. James offers a 5 channel setup for non-JBL models. He’ll work with you for the best solution to your budget. https://www.shop.tech12volts.com/main.sc

gkelm likes this.
  18. Jun 4, 2022 at 5:43 AM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    I have the OEM Audio + system with dual 8” subs in my truck. It made a heck of a difference but my door speakers could still use a little boost. I’m going to have to look into this.

19. Jun 4, 2022 at 6:09 AM
    Randydw

Randydw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ozark,mo
    Vehicle:
    2021 platinum crew cab
    Getting my amp today! Should arrive shortly getting everything ready. James goes above and beyond the call of duty so if your looking to upgrade the shitty Jbl system I would highly recommend him. I’m all stock except sub and sub box from James soon to be amp and some sound deadening.

20. Jun 4, 2022 at 11:33 AM
    Randydw

Randydw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ozark,mo
    Vehicle:
    2021 platinum crew cab
    Installed my new amp from James at tech12volt ind system sounds fantastic, bass hits super hard just like I like and factory speakers actually rock. If you are on the fence about doing this upgrade I would get off. James is great to work with and knows how to make the shitty Jbl system rock.

21. Jun 6, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    gkelm

gkelm New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Filled out the message page on that site and got an error message…don’t see any other contact info. The guy still in business?

I’m checking around locally at Best Buy and Car Toys…doesn’t seem like anybody is anxious to take my money! Probably just order some stuff and put it in myself.

22. Jun 6, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    OStateFlyer

OStateFlyer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    I had an email exchange with him directly after placing an order through the site. That was 12 May 2022 and he’s been active in the last week on FB in the TundraCrew group.

23. Jun 7, 2022 at 2:07 AM
    bstringrandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    He communicated with me frequently during the process.
    I would also email him directly at tech12volt@gmail.com

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    gkelm[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jun 14, 2022 at 4:46 AM
    radon222

radon222 '21 CrewMax / '18 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax TRD OffRoad
    Stock for now
    Thanks for this post. I need to something with my 21' Limited. I'm looking to replace the HU either, but cleaning up the sound would be really nice. I saw the DSR1 setup on Tech12Volts, but couldn't find the DSP. Anyone have a link to that package?

25. Jun 14, 2022 at 5:26 AM
    OStateFlyer

OStateFlyer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    radon222[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jun 20, 2022 at 8:02 AM
    mferry22

mferry22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    I was wondering about the instructions. Did James send instructions with the amp or are you referring to the instructions that came in the box with the amp? I ordered the same amp from James but the only instructions I have are the ones from JBL. I've never installed an amp before so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks, Marty

danny_r34 likes this.
  27. Jun 20, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    bstringrandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    Hi Marty,

I sent you a PM.

Randy

28. Aug 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM
    TundraJeff305

TundraJeff305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I have the OEM Audio system as well it sounds decent but not very loud at all so you feel this amp solved the problem?

29. Aug 19, 2022 at 9:31 PM
    gkelm

gkelm New Member

Member:
    DFW
    I ended up going the other way—with a Pioneer receiver, sub, and sub amp…big difference. Did the Best Buy tech plan, so all installed for $200. Also added a front camera and f/r dash cams.

TundraJeff305[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Aug 19, 2022 at 9:32 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM

Just confirming... you have the OEM JBL system, correct???

TundraJeff305[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top