1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra tailgate / box stupidity?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Dagwood, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Jan 8, 2022 at 5:27 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Been one week with the 2022 CrewMax long box and 1100 kms (700 miles) now. Have been commuting with it and doing so work related stuff. Learning new stuff every day. Been a cold week. Mornings have been around -20 C (-4 F). Remote start is nice - when it works.

Have been running around picking up parts for the shop. Rims. Tires. Lengths of steel. I do this on the way home and bring the stuff in to the shop with me in the morning.

So this is where the Toyota thinking (??) starts to miss the mark.

- If you leave the tailgate down (because you have a long load) you cannot remote start it. Not with the key fob. Not with the App.

- If you have weight on the back seat you cannot remote start it. Not with the key fob. Not with the App.

- If you have the tailgate down (because you have a long load) and lock the truck (multiple presses of the lock button) the bed light does not turn off. It will stay on for 20 minutes until it shuts off “to prevent the battery from being discharged”. You have to go unlock the cab and manually turn the switch to off. Or unload the truck and close the tailgate.

- The bed liner is like an air hockey table. I put a set of rims back there - holy crap it was unbelievable how they bounced around with zero friction. I’m surprised it did not blast holes through the side of the box. Thats how I found about no remote start with weight on back seat. I had to move the rims there - rubber mat on order.

- The bed cleats are now plastic from the Tacoma. The old cast Aluminium ones from the old tundra fit on the side rails. Using spares I had from the last trucks.

This week was really cold. I tried to remote start the truck 5 times to go to work. Of that 3 times was unsuccessful because I had a load in the truck. A 2021 would start. So 40% success for the week.

Ya - I’m going to subscribe $8/month for something I can’t use. Won’t start the truck but it will send me messages that my tailgate is down - no sh**.

I feel the Toyota Engineers have no clue how a pickup is used. They think it’s a SUV. Explains the rear bumper as well.

Again - I like the truck as a long SUV yet this thinking for a truck is stupid. Had 4 Tundra’s before this. They were deigned to be trucks - especially the 2010. Transmission coolers. Transmission temperature gauges. And the remote start would have worked all 5 days this past week. Not 2.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  2. Jan 8, 2022 at 6:26 PM
    art64

art64 New Member

Member:
    Thanks for posting this. Wondering if the tailgate sensor and the rear seat weight sensors can be disabled for Remote Start purposes via Techstream. Do all the doors unlock when the shifter is put in Park?

3. Jan 8, 2022 at 6:31 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    All doors unlock when put in park. There is an option on the radio to change this setting.

One additional comment on the remote start - all the doors must be locked for it to start the truck using the fob or App. If the doors are unlocked it will not start.

When the truck goes in for warranty at the end of the month I will ask them to plug in to see if the tailgate and back seat weight can be changed.

4. Jan 8, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    E7E52BD2-A9B3-4021-8C76-DEFFA0327662.jpg
    8DC15098-8B9C-4292-9DC5-172E59FB5CFB.jpg

Subscribe now!!

TK1979 and camron1039 like this.
  5. Jan 8, 2022 at 7:46 PM
    Totherion

Totherion New Member

Member:
    The was very constructive criticism of issues I think most of us are unaware of. Thanks for posting this.

TK1979 likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:10 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    This is why I'm gathering parts to rebuild my '87 Chevy.

2mchfun, TK1979 and WFD473 like this.
  7. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:19 PM
    stevj

stevj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
    Vehicle:
    Current RAM 1500 owner waiting for the new Tundra "hybrid."
    Grab a #2 Phillips screwdriver and use it to work the tailgate latches to the shut position, typically two clicks.
    On my Ram, the passenger side tailgate latch is the one I close with this procedure so the truck doesn't know the tailgate is down.
    Remember, though: don't try to close the tailgate with latches already in the closed position.
    You have to "open" the tailgate first to reset the latches.

Steve

TK1979 likes this.
  8. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ah - the first year of TBI. Didn’t like that new fuel injection stuff back then. But square body was the way to go.

Funny how things change over the years. I’m not a fan of all this stuff that thinks for us. I know in a few years I will build up a Tundra with a 5.7 and supercharger.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Silver17 and TK1979 like this.
  9. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:40 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    35 year old TBI doesnt work that great lol. Part of the reason why it's dead right now. I still havent decided if the new motor is going to have a carb or an efi kit though. Kinda leaning towards having one vehicle in the fleet with a carburetor.

I'm a firm believer that the automotive market peaked about 15 years ago and it's all downhill from here. All the nanny stuff drives me crazy and the sad part is it's slowly being mandated by the government.

2mchfun, TK1979, CMikeB and 2 others like this.
  10. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:40 PM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    I don’t know for sure but maybe you can jump the wires on the tailgate switch to make it think it’s always closed

snivilous likes this.
  11. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:54 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    My hope is enough people complain about this and they reflash the programming from a SUV to a Pickup truck.

New truck. Only been out there for a month. Need to highlight this so others see what a PITA this is and maybe enough feedback will make a change.

For now I will go out and start the truck from in the cab when it’s loaded.

TK1979 likes this.
  12. Jan 9, 2022 at 5:21 AM
    TF_CC

TF_CC New Member

Member:
    Some of these may be D.O.T related as precautionary safety regulations perhaps?

Just a thought...

raylo and ryanwgregg like this.
  13. Jan 9, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    FireArrow

FireArrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Crewmax
    Kind of like the reminder to check the back seat for your kids.

raylo, ryanwgregg and TF_CC[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jan 15, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Solid criticism. Seems the 3rd gen is an order of magnitude more complicated than the 2nd gen. I agree that it seems like an SUV with a bed that happens to pull great. Hate all the connectivity crap. I don’t want an app. I don’t want to subscribe to features in my truck. Just want reliable simplicity that is easy to maintain. This new truck may be reliable (time will tell), but it’s definitely not simple, and I doubt it is as easy to maintain. I guess this is what you get when you update every 15 years.

Mattedfred likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top