1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra, more issues???

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by tundraiggy73, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Feb 8, 2022 at 6:39 AM
    tundraiggy73

tundraiggy73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crewmax Trail Edition
    I don't own a '22, bought a '21 just in case I didn't like the '22.

As a Toyota Technician of nearly 30 years I am getting more and more concerned about this truck. It seems that every day there is a new service bulletin or tech tech for the 2022 Tundra.

We had an odd problem yesterday with a forward recognition camera that ended up being water in the connector for the camera, we haven't found a leak 'yet', still looking.

I sure hope these things don't end up being piles of shit.

2. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:08 AM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    Quick question allowing quantifying comparison. So how does the Service Bulletins/Tech notice numbers compare with the Earlier Gen Tundra Roll-outs and 4Runner 4th/5th Gen roll-outs. Curious as owned several 4Runners and family has many Tundra's for business, all with growing pains as well.

Saltyhero13 and Mattedfred like this.
  3. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    SirSwish32

SirSwish32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 XP 4X4
    1.75" Rough Country Level
    Is this true though? I have not had any issues at all with mine. I know 5 other people personally who have had 0 issues. I think we too often have this expectation that something brand new will be perfect 100% of the time and just because a very small percentage has some issues, they are all crap. That's just not true.

Allrsdup, Marshal, Buildn and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:28 AM
    tundraiggy73

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Trust me when I say that when TSBs roll out, the problems are NOT few and far between.

I've grown more and more frustrated with Toyota's quality over the past 10 or 12 years. They preach and preach to us techs about 'fix it right the first time', and we argue 'build it right the first time'.

These trucks are going to be problematic, like it or not. Toyota will do the right thing, but at what cost?

5. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:34 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Speaking as a Toyota Tech then, if for any reason you simply had to purchase a 2022 1/2 ton pickup, which would you purchase today?

natl_parks22 likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    tundraiggy73

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Honestly, I like some other trucks... but I am a Toyota guy. I'll stick with a naturally aspirated V8 as long as I can, and that's my 2021 Tundra. I don't drive it much... so I will keep it. My 2012 only had 50k on it when I got rid of it in October. I have a 2018 Sequoia as well that will stay since the new Sequoia is mostly the new v6 TT Hybrid.

7. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    I'd probably still buy a Tundra. I'm a glutton for punishment. :D

Maybe these setbacks will bring down the price of the Tundra until it's straightened out? One can only hope. :rolleyes:

If I had to go used, I might buy a 2005 2500 RAM with the 5.9L Cummins.

OnThaLake likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:47 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Reading threads like this makes me lol. I really hope you guys can make it through.

Archive, Metro14536 and Toyota1234 like this.
  9. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    Yeah, no recalls and no TSBs. This is why I can't believe all this wonderful "advice" from owners of prior generations. Short memory is a problem, and all models have problems. "Pro" or not. Please.upload_2022-2-8_9-57-9.jpgupload_2022-2-8_9-57-9.jpg

=JSG=, SneakyTundra, crepr12 and 10 others like this.
  10. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Nope. It's just 2022's. The sky is actually falling this time.

11. Feb 8, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    If you can pull that up, why not pull it up for every new gen or refresh since 2000 so we can see how every one has gone.

=JSG=, OnThaLake and gosolo like this.
  12. Feb 8, 2022 at 8:10 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Better check to see if any of those TSB's have been completed on your truck.

13. Feb 8, 2022 at 8:13 AM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2022, army green limited, off road, DC
    I always wonder about posts like this. When every problem a truck has makes it to social media I think it makes it sound worse then it is. The 2022 has issues. The 2021 has problems, and every year before that has some potential problems. Mechanical and electrical components fail.

My truck is not free of problems but they are all cosmetic and will be fixed in time. If little things start failing over the years on a consistent basis I will trade it in on a newer model. But a later year truck will still be prone to having issues like every vehicle. Just the roll of the dice you take with vehicles. If the power train and engine never leaves me on the side of the road that’s what I really care about, but we will see..

SirSwish32 likes this.
  14. Feb 8, 2022 at 8:49 AM
    tundraiggy73

Member:
    Vehicle:
    As someone with 'inside information', these new Tundras ARE proving problematic. I'm not trying to cause a problem here, just having a conversation.

Roselaker, equin, Joro43 and 12 others like this.
  15. Feb 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    Well, I was on a long boring phone conversation and to keep myself amused I pulled up the following - only back to 2011 and only recalls because they finally quit talking. (note that recalls are only issued for safety reasons, so this doesn't include the dreaded cam tower problem and others like that.)
    Amazing the things that may cause a vehicle to suddenly burst into flames, your wheels to fall off, the seat to come loose, the airbag to not properly deploy, etc. Also note the personal injury from stepping on the corner of the bumper in 2016...hmmm...
    I love the safety recall for improper labeling of payload because they counted the floor mats twice in calculations!
    Finally, congrats to the 2012 for no safety recalls.

2021 3 recalls (2 on loss of power steering, 1 on headlights catching on fire)

2020 5 recalls (above 3 + failing fuel pump and weak turn signals (Lol)

2019 10 recalls (power steering, fuel pump, air bags not deploying properly and 3 on mislabeling of load capacity - 1 where they counted the floor mats weight twice)

2018 9 recalls (steering, fire from wiring fault, failing fuel pump, airbag failure, failure of stability control, mislabeling.)

2017 6 recalls (steering, split rear seat comes loose in crash, lug nuts crack and wheels fall off, if you use the corner of the bumper to step on, it may break and cause injury)

2016 6 recalls (steering, faulty knee airbags, cracking lug nuts, corner bumper breaking, mislabeling.)

2015 5 recalls (2 on steering, mislabeled tires, cracking lug nuts, other mislabeling.)

2014 5 recalls (2 on steering, 2 on lug nuts failing, side window airbag)

2013 1 recall (cracking lug nuts)

2012 0 recalls

2011 7 recalls (3 on tire pressure monitoring system, 1 on labeling, driveshaft may fall on the road surface, seat may catch on fire, power window may catch on fire.)

=JSG=, Booney, Mrconnsmythe and 7 others like this.
  16. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:03 AM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2022, army green limited, off road, DC
    I’ll be curious to see how many recalls there are. And how long does it usually take for recalls to come out. None so far that I’m aware of.

17. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:05 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

toyota used to follow this

18. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:13 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    They kind of did.

2017 to current LS500 has zero recalls related to the release issues of the MY22 Tundra. It had the typical fuel pump recalls as most other models did.

Suppliers change, suppliers processes change, suppliers suppliers change. Lot of things happen in the background that Toyota themselves has little control over.

The 3.5 TT was rather issue free until it went into a different platform and overall build suppliers probably changed.

Unfortunately, for them to try to "compete" in the segment (lets be real, they never will based of volume) they have to adapt and try to compete.

Seemingly, the issues still seem rather small when compared to what owners experience from the Big 3.

Just my 2 cents.

To add: a lot of the time what they test prior to release doesnt actually make it to release, release components change because the bean counters realized they could save 2 cents changing suppliers at the line. Then this can happen because there is no mileage accumulation on the series part to verify its use and durability.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    JLS in WA and SirSwish32 like this.
  19. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    the dissemination of information these days can really change opinions and not necessarily in a good way. Not saying you shouldn't do research, but negative information is usually over represented

Still no debating a new first generation twin turbo hybrid powertrain is much more complicated then the typical motors of years past and will no doubt have some issues. Therefore you won't find me in any of them anytime soon. I enjoy simplicity and reliability rather than latest and greatest. But this new gen needs time to prove itself.

Joro43, Ruggybuggy, Archive and 2 others like this.
  20. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Hey, I very much appreciate you sharing your experience. I'd just like to put these current '22 issues in perspective as I don't have all of the facts.
    I'd also like a comparison between the rest of the 1/2 ton market because they all share several similar challenges (pandemic, supply chain, chips, increases global competition, inflation, employee retention, EPA, government, shareholder interest etc).
    I can see where Toyota reliability could be slipping based on historical data but I'd be curious to know how that relates to their competition.
    Are they less reliable today but still the most reliable? In other words, these issues are unavoidable.

21. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:21 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    GM had a stop sale on their 5.3/6.2 due to AFM lifter issues right out of the gate. Dealers had to replace the problematic lifters installed from assembly before delivering to the customer.

Supplier issues affect every mfg.

To add: their AFM powerplants are sold without the feature active (due to chip shortage) but the engine is still built with the problematic hardware installed. Imagine being a customer, just passed warranty, and having poor running and an MIL for an inactive system that failed rendering your vehicle not drivable.

Mattedfred[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 8, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    tbrady

tbrady New Member

Member:
    Southern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2022 DC LTD Army Green
    Leer Canopy, TRD Steps
    Blind luck I bought a 2012. It was a good year. 81000 miles and never seen a dealership after Toyota Care ended.

23. Feb 8, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    But apparently not ever with a Tundra.
    Since I had another long boring call, here is the rest of the list of Toyota Tundra years and recalls.

2010 12 recalls (5 regarding tire and payload labeling, 3 on tire monitor system, 2 on seats catching on fire, 1 on power window fire, and the small matter of an accelerator getting stuck open.)

2009 12 recalls (same as on the 2010)

2008 10 recalls (4 regarding tire and payload labeling, 2 on tire monitor system, 2 on seats catching on fire, 1 on power window fire, and the accelerator getting stuck open.)

2007 8 recalls (2 regarding tire and payload labeling, 2 on seats catching on fire, 1 on power window fire, 1 accelerator getting stuck open, -and my newest nightmare- 1 on front passenger airbag inflator rupturing “with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the passenger seat occupant.)

So far the minor issues with the 2022 are just inconvenient. If my truck seat catches fire, or the wheel falls off, the accelerator sticks, or if the airbags shoots metal shards into my chest, then I will be upset. - But I shouldn't be surprised, should I?

MTRock, RavingOx, =JSG= and 3 others like this.
  24. Feb 8, 2022 at 1:03 PM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    And since this lady on the phone can't stop talking (so I'll finish answering your post)....

TSB Counts by Model Year
    2022 7 (so far) https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tundra/2022/tsbs/
    2021 28 https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tundra/2021/tsbs/
    Clicking on a model year will bring you to CarComplaints.com which has a full list of documents from the NHTSA.
    edited to make it clear the reason I did this is I was still stuck on the phone and bored out of my mind.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  25. Feb 8, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    You did start the conversation with "as a long term Toyota Tech"? Be specific on what's the issues and Tech Bulletins and TSB's . Can't argue the facts.

Also know all large companies have disclosure agreements so understand the statement is way over that line. Again, not trying to cause trouble and stir the pot. But this is the way the initial post comes across. I too work for a huge international company and my job is compliance.

26. Feb 8, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    Totherion

Totherion New Member

Member:
    You should go to the Smith and Wesson forums. You would think every gun Smith has made since 1980 is hot garbage.

texasrho83 and doublethebass like this.
  27. Feb 8, 2022 at 5:04 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    The problem and disappointment for me is not only the engine choice but rather the exterior looks of the truck. I will say the interior is beautiful but I just can’t get over the exterior looks. The ugliest full size truck out there imo….which makes no sense since the new Sequoia looks bad ass!

28. Feb 8, 2022 at 6:07 PM
    Totherion

Totherion New Member

Member:
    :deadhorse:

29. Feb 8, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    texmln

texmln New Member

Member:
    There's cracked lug nuts and tire/payload sticker problems and then there's pulling your cab off to replace a turbo in a week old truck. I would even prefer a heated seat fire to that.

30. Feb 8, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    They pretty much are….

Products Discussed in

To Top