1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra Flexplate / Torque Converter / Transmission Rattle??

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Tvb1996, May 23, 2022.

1. May 23, 2022 at 4:00 PM
    Tvb1996

Tvb1996 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax TRD OF 4x4 White
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum as this is my first Tundra to own.
    I did a search and did not see any posts about 2022 Tundra's with the noise that I am hearing and figured I would make a post to see if anyone else has experienced this noise.

This is on my 2022 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 w/ TRD Offroad Package.
    When I picked the truck up on 5-19-2022 It was not making any weird sounds, but at about 50 miles on the truck it started to make the clatter that you can hear in the video. It is now sitting at Toyota waiting on their Field Tech to come down from SanAntonio to diagnose the issue.

To me it sounds like either the bolts that hold the Flexplate to the crank have come loose, or the bolts that hold the Torque Converter to the Flex plate have come loose.
    I have only ever heard chatter / clatter like this from a Multi Mass flywheel setup that you would typically see in a Manual Transmission vehicle such as the Nissan 350z etc.

In the video you do hear multiple pitches of sounds, some are perfectly normal Direct Injector noise/sounds and valve train noise. The chatter / clatter is what you need to focus on.

If you have had this issue please chime in and let me know what they ended up finding the problem was. I will update as I hear new info from my Toyota Dealer.

I had to break the video up into 2 parts AND put the video in a ZIP file since it would not let me upload it as an MOV or MP4 or load a file that is more than 20mb!!

Attached Files:

2. May 23, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    22PlatWCP

22PlatWCP New Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2022 WCP Platinum 4x4
    Sorry, didn’t hear anything in the 1st video and the 2nd one didn’t play for me.

3. May 23, 2022 at 5:57 PM
    Tvb1996

Tvb1996 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Humm I wonder why the audio is not coming through. When I played them before sending they worked fine. I may need to re-zip and upload them.

4. May 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    Tvb1996

Tvb1996 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota field tech came out today, he heard the noise but they do not have a solution for it. So that’s basically it they said I will be made aware if and when a solution is created and I should just drive the truck until then.

So I guess that’s it, I figured they would want to maybe take it apart and figure out what was causing it?

I guess all I can do is wait.

5. Jan 10, 2024 at 10:03 AM
    james_1234

james_1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Did anything else over come of this, OP?

Products Discussed in

To Top