1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this actually the 2022 Tundra?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by MRQZTNDR93, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:23 AM
    SalsaTheTundra

SalsaTheTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jd
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 Salsa Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7
    Ubar led headlights K&N filter +50HP
    Hmmm so why does the site consider 2014-2020 3rd gen

2. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    FUSE86

FUSE86 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD 4x4 DCLB
    This is exactly why I bought a 2020 tundra. Was even in a more niche market because I wanted a half ton with 4 doors and an 8' bed. Choices were Ford or Toyota. Was a no brainer !

3. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    Because it's wrong. lol

4. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad
    MLED Retrofitted Platinum Headlights, Ranch Hand bumper, Firestone airsprings, Leer 100XR Shell, Amp Research Steps
    So true, should be Gen 2.5 really.

specter208 and Jaypown[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    I think the silhouette looks kinda cool...kinda prerunner front fender lines. I am excited to see the actual power numbers on the new top tier engine. Sounds like this thing is going to be a beast! After towing with a couple Ford Ecoboost engines (which pulled extremely strong) I am excited to potentially have some torque down low in the RPM range with the new turbo setup.

6. Jun 18, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    Does it really matter?

7. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    It’s so funny to me how so many folks on here trust Toyota engineering and reliability when it comes to the 5.7L, but then have their heads in the sand when it comes to not trusting Toyota engineering and reliability when it comes to the twin turbo V6. The Lexus LS 500 uses the twin turbo V6, and gets incredible reviews across the board, in particular compared the the V8 it replaced.

Also it is no fluke that Ford sells so many F-150s with the ecoboost twin turbo V6. It gets roughly 20% better gas mileage than my 5.7L. Towing mileage is fairly similar, but it tows much better.

The Lexus TTV6 will have more power, better mileage, and better reliability than the ecoboost. Toyota has shown across their product lines that they can deliver typical Toyota reliability, along with current technology / amenities. Why is everyone acting like they won’t do it with the Tundra?

8. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:09 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Because they are scared of change.

9. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    trd.james

trd.james New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    2020 TRD PRO | Westcott Lift | 35" KO2's
    I think that's it entirely. I'm self-aware enough to know it's true for me.

10. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    17TundraDCEd

17TundraDCEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 Crewmax
    Rear Sway Bar
    Well said....but that said - there is something visceral about a V-8, especially when hooked to a nice sounding exhaust. I think the lack of a V-8 option is what bothers a lot of people - not the move to TTV6. Even Ford offers a V-8 option even though the ecoboost is their big seller. We'll have to see and feel the real thing when it comes out and judge it then.

11. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Let me preface this with the declaration of playing devil's advocate in the spirit of friendly discussion. I have no dog in this fight as I hope to die before my Tundra does.

I can't speak for everyone who has "their head in the sand" but my avoidance of the new non V8 isn't about not trusting engineering. Broad strokes are usually only good for painting a barn, FYI.That's from a member's sig somewhere on here.

Part of it stems from the fact that the V8 platform is so old, and it got that way by being extremely reliable. It's been around long enough that all the woes are known, and can be prepared for to a greater extent than a more complex system. A brand new platform is always something I hold off on, because all brand new platforms have kinks that need to be worked out. Even if that platform has components that are tried and tested, that doesn't mean that the new creation from them isn't going to have growing pains.
    Another part of it is the love I have for a V8 and it's sound. Nothing you do to a V6 will make it sound like a V8 and playing beefy engine noises through the speakers is cheating. My strong preference is for the V8 because nothing the TTV6 does is a big enough boon to outweigh the things I bought the V8 for in the first place.

Fuel economy improvements are nice, but if it is achieved with a turbo then it also comes with a requirement of premium fuel. See the highlighted bit below, and figure if fuel was about $3.00 a gallon, and there goes your 20% savings. Couple that with the fact that all numbers are based on a stock configuration that usually includes unrealistic tires that 99% of us are going to replace with bigger heavier ones, and the claimed numbers are irrelevant and we need to wait for real world data.
    upload_2020-6-18_10-9-43.jpg
    Also, people get all jazzed up about a bump of 3 MPG between brands, but I would ask you to do some quick and easy math before getting too crazy.
    We will use $3.00 per gallon fuel cost, the higher industry average mileage of 15,000 miles per year, and a 15 MPG average overall. That's 1000 gallons for $3000 per year and $250 per month. A 20% gain in MPG would be a 3 MPG boost up to 18 MPG (numbers may vary, but we are using easy math here) so that drops you down to 833.33 gallons per year and an annual cost of $2500 and $208.33 per month. That is less than $50 per month. Nothing to sneeze at, but if 50 bucks is gonna make or break your monthly budget you are mismanaging your funds in ways that fuel savings are the least of your worries. This math only holds true if you are using the same grade of fuel, too. If you have to go up to premium for those gains, then the gap closes even more.

12. Jun 18, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    19crewmaxTRD

19crewmaxTRD Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    2019 white tundra crewmax
    I’m all for new technology and the fact that it sounds like a supercharged 5.7 was used as a benchmark for power train is awesome. But the biggest reason I’m in a tundra is proven reliability. I need my truck to be up 7 days a week and only go in for Maintence. My truck just had to go in for warranty and they had it for 4 days and that really put a hurt on my day to day operations. I believe the next gen tundra will be just as reliable as the current one after a couple years of recalls and tsbs, but I won’t put my money into one before it has an established track record. <<< that’s my sentiments on the issue and I bet a lot of people here are in a tundra currently for the same reasons.

Cpl_Punishment, Boerseun and GODZILLA like this.
  13. Jun 18, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    I'm not so worried, because of Toyota's track record. 2007 did have some frame issues, but like the cam seal leak it's not something that you can't plan around. So there's still a lot of 1st year of an all new truck out there, and the 2022 sounds more like an evolution rather than all new. I bet other than redoing the actual screen the finicky electronics will be very similar from 2021 to 2022. So when you dig down to it the 2022 Tundra will have a tweaked Lexus TTV6, tweaked 2021 Tundra frame and electronics. So that leaves transmission and suspension as the big unknowns at this point - transmission I see coming from Lexus or the Land Cruiser, and the suspension even if they go to rear coils it's not like they're reinventing the wheel with that on a pickup.

Elevatormatt and trd.james like this.
  14. Jun 18, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    gjcarving

gjcarving New Member

Member:
    Anybody notice the video got taken down due to Copyright?

Boerseun likes this.
  15. Jun 18, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    Toyota is serious about keeping the next gen under wraps. Bet they don't want Ford or Ram to get sniffs of what they're after so they can get a year or two of class leading claims.

16. Jun 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I think the majority of the population out there has no clue that a new model is coming out. Neither do they know that the V8 is going away. It's just the handful of us on this site and other similar enthusiast groups that take notice of that, so I don't think there will be a significant spike in sales in order to get the last V8s.

I personally think the V8 will stay and be an option along side the V6.

GODZILLA likes this.
  17. Jun 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    ka1sersoze

ka1sersoze Newish

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    '20 DC 4x4 limited TRD cement
    3" toytec coils,18x9 fuel tactic, 35s
    looks like the new ugly front on a ram

18. Jun 18, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    Give me a RAV4 front end please. Now that's would be ugly af

19. Jun 18, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    I hope you're right. There is no replacement for displacement.

20. Jun 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Imagine the squawking when the full electric truck comes that can tow.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    akmerle likes this.
  21. Jun 18, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    Lol.
    Those trucks are made for me and guys like me who buy trucks not to haul stuff all day long but occasionally and may do a home Depot run every so often only.

It's my daily driver and I only haul kids and family and shopping but I get to do project works every so often couple times a year which is good enough. Go camping and fishing.

I don't plan to tow the space shuttle

GODZILLA likes this.
  22. Jun 18, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    I think it looks like a completely subjective fake drawing some internet click bait expert made up and published on the internet about a year ago.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  23. Jun 19, 2020 at 12:13 AM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    My post had nothing to do with reliability at all I assure you of that. I was simply stating I would need to see real world numbers as far as Towing Fuel economy goes because even though it is Toyota I still have my experiences being a little voice in my head telling me to have caution before buying and wait and see. I am sure it will have better unloaded Fuel economy and higher power numbers and in fact will probably tow faster than my 5.7L. But on the long haul when I am sitting at a stable speed is my mpgs still going to be in the average 10 range or is it going to be like the Ecoboost at 6-7. I suspect with a decent trailer it would need to be in boost more often which means more fuel will be needed than an NA V8. If it performs well and get the same or better towing mpg than I will add it to my future truck buy list. I have towed with two Ecoboost trucks as a contracted driver a couple to a few years back before the Tundra. They belonged to the company good power awful Towing FE. Again though it is a just wait and see for me at this point. I will wait and see what TFL or other press agencies get when doing a fuel economy loop with a decent weight trailer and pay attention to these forums after the new truck and engine is out.

Wallygator and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  24. Jun 19, 2020 at 12:19 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
  25. Jun 19, 2020 at 7:11 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Also have to wait and see if they bring the transmission cooler back. o_O

Wallygator and Devcom[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Jun 19, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad
    MLED Retrofitted Platinum Headlights, Ranch Hand bumper, Firestone airsprings, Leer 100XR Shell, Amp Research Steps
    No, its not a big deal. nodak67 is technically correct though.

27. Jun 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    HA! You know that's not happening. Maybe they will have a small fan that is hooked up to the hybrid battery blowing on the trans. Super effective!:fingerscrossed: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  28. Jun 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    specter208

specter208 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma and 2005 Tundra RGCAB
    Did anyone get a screen cap of that video?

29. Jun 22, 2020 at 4:22 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    well the biggest issue we will have is when the 3rd gen comes out and what the forum is going to call that sub thread. 4th gen when its technically the 3rd gen?

then the ocd's will have a fit :)

probably call it 3rd gen 2021+, then sit back and grab some :popcorn: to watch the fun.

30. Jun 22, 2020 at 4:24 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    yeah unfortunately. i have some friends that love the T-100 compared to the tundra.

Wallygator likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top