1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Tundra vs .......

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by AlexanderMoragne, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Apr 14, 2021 at 8:37 PM
    AlexanderMoragne

AlexanderMoragne [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone, I'm currently in the market of buying a new pickup truck. Currently I'm leaving heavily towards 2021 Tundra as it has the notoriously reliable 5.7, for which I've been reading 300k is a break in with regular maintenance. I'm waiting for Toyotas announcement of the 4th gen, to see if they will offer the 5.7, in the 4th gen. Also I've been looking at Fords 5.0 F150, their 10 gear transmission, also looks like a good option, but I'm still worried because of reliability questions. I would like to know what opinions you guys have regarding picking Tundra over other pickups, since I would much rather hear it from Tundra owners rather then salesman. Thanks in advance!

Metro14536 likes this.
  2. Apr 14, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    4th gen is doing away with the v8 so get one now if thats what you want

3. Apr 14, 2021 at 8:48 PM
    AlexanderMoragne

AlexanderMoragne [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've heard after announcement of a new truck to come, you can get a better deal on the going away truck. Can you confirm or deny that info?

4. Apr 14, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    The truck market is so hot right now, I doubt it will make a difference.

5. Apr 14, 2021 at 9:25 PM
    13TundraRW

13TundraRW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White Tundra CM RW
    MCM UCA, MCM Shackles, 2.5 ADS C/O, Durobumps Front, Deaver U748, 2.5 ADS Bypasses, Wheelers/Timbren bumps rear, SoftTop
    Plus with toyota doing away with the v8 could increase the value of the older models.

Metro14536 and TundraTeddy like this.
  6. Apr 14, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Terndrerrr and JimboSlice413 like this.
  7. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    If you haul or tow heavy, be aware that the 2019-2021 Tundras no longer have an external transmission cooler. You can add one if you're concerned about it. Lots of threads on that here.

The bigger issue if you're going to tow is the payload MAY be a little lower than certain offerings from the big 3.

The EPA claims the Tundra gets worse fuel economy than the others but in the real world they're all pretty close.

That being said, even without the cooler, the Tundra is head and shoulders more reliable than the others.

The biggest issues with the Tundra (no cooler, no rear underseat storage in the CM, poor audio system) can all be rectified if you're willing to pay. They're also not likely to leave you stranded.

If you do consider a different brand, Dashboard Light would imply that GM is the least bad of the domestics and Ford is the worst. That's also mentioned in another thread here if you can't find it on their site.

8. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  9. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    My findings after researching full size, coming from mid-size:
    GM
    • Leaky cab
    • transmission problems (GM still doesn't know how to design a transmission that lasts)
    • Brake issues
    Ford
    • Ecoboost (wasn't interested, heard to many issues from owners to investigate)
    • 5.0 can burn oil and has had engine knock in some cases
    • electrical/infotainment
    • Rattle machine
    Ram
    • QC nightmare (seems to be a lottery when buying a Ram)
    • body panels touching/rubbing
    • electrical/infotainment
    Toyota
    • Gas mileage
    Also I would not count on discounted Tundra's after 4th gen announced, I still remember people waiting on the 3rd gen tacomas announcement to buy a 2nd gen and sales actually rose on tacomas after 3rd gen was announced and only relented due to COVID slow down. Toyota really seems to build to demand, therefore not providing an abundant supply.

TundraTeddy and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  10. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I thought the GM brake issues were fixed by recalls about a year ago. They also have infotainment issues, though.

The Ford 5.0 also leaks oil from its plastic oil pan as of 2018.

11. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    They did to be fair, but it was a software patch. They did not address the design flaw IMO which is a build up in the vacuum pump which will now cause premature failure of the pump

12. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    TundraTeddy

TundraTeddy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Teddy
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green 4x4 Tundra CrewMax
    All of these posts are good feedback. If anyone is really interested in buying, it's not the best time to do so, I've seen up to 10k markup on tundras, it's insane!
    I got real lucky ,I purchased in late February. Even used market is up, and it isn't going down any time soon, especially on the 5.7's since this is the last year with a reliable engine. IMO, the gas is worth it lol.

THOR's, Cpl_Punishment and Bakershack like this.
  13. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Pretty much. I bought my truck for $41.7K; right now I can trade it in for $46.5K if I feel so inclined. I'd be super surprised if it lost a ton of its value.

14. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    If I'm not mistaken, they changed the internal build of the cylinders (eliminated something or other to save weight) that year which didn't help matters. Trying to find info on it.

15. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    Jonross227

Jonross227 New Member

Member:
    I've driven everything under the sun since I travel for work and need a truck to haul equipment.

You couldn't pay me to drive a Ford. The interior is nice but every one I've been in has a dead spot in the steering and I hate it.

Dodge has probably the best interior. But the brakes are terrible, the climate control doesn't work right half the time, it eats wheel bearings, and it sounds like a 12 valve with the lifters ticking. Plus I hate the dial gear selector.

I actually like the gm's styling and interior is decent. But their gas engine are terrible.The 5.3 is a complete turd. No problems in 45k but its just lackluster.
    My buddy's dad bought a 6.2 Silverado. We pulled his little 3k pound runabout to the lake in it and it absolutely did not impress. I'd classify it as a premium fuel burning turd. The little runabout felt heavier than my 21' bass boat behind my tundra full of too much tackle and 50 gallons of gas.

If the 4th gen debuts as a flop, I will look at a GMC with the little duramax in it. I've talked to quite a few people that have them and they all love it. I'll find a dealer that will let me hook my boat to one and if I don't like it either I'll hook my boat back to the tundra, and go trade it on a new one then just keep my 16' tundra till she dies.

But the best thing is just go drive them a and decide for yourself

16. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    With the current demand for the 5.7, which is higher than the new model, these trucks are not sitting on the lots long at all. Many are sold before they ever hit the lots. Prices won't drop with the demand being so high. Start shopping now if you want one. Also, you will get a better deal on a new one. The used prices are too high.

17. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:14 PM
    marshmellow

marshmellow New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tundra CM
    I was looking to buy a used Tundra, saw the prices and just bought new. I bought one now because I just love V8's. If the new Tundra impresses, I would consider it but I'm really happy with the choice I made.

18. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Funny thing is that's why I bought one back in March of 2020. I could have gotten a used one for $38K at the time, but a new one *with* $200 in parts and a lifetime engine warranty was $3k more.

Now? Holy crap....people are making serious bank on it. I will say that depending on how the new Tundra is, I may indeed trade this one in on a new one, but I'm totally happy with what I've got. :)

TundraTeddy likes this.
  19. Apr 16, 2021 at 3:19 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    I have always been a Toyota truck owner. Never any other trucks. Reliably and value that is the biggest thing for me. Now is not a good time to buy a tundra where a lot a guys have said. Everyones is in different position to buying one. I buy Pros all the time and I pay msrp. But it sounds like there are guys buying not even pros and close to the price on them. Toyota is not giving any kind of deals on any of the tundras unless your lucky enough to find one. Just my opinion my situation I’m waiting for my LunaRock tundra pro to come in. I can keep this for 3 years and wait till Toyota has the bugs worked out if the new tundra. If I decide to move up I will be in a good position again. But I’m not planning on it because I want the last year built. I did the same with my C7 Corvette Z06 it’s a 19. Last year for the manual. The value on that is crazy also just like the tundras.

TundraTeddy likes this.
  20. May 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    Diesel5610

Diesel5610 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black TRD Pro
    I almost always buy used. Bought my Tundra in late February after watching the market for several months. The used trucks were almost the same as a new Tundra, so I bought a new one. Love it.

21. May 4, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    eyecandynsx

eyecandynsx New Member

Member:
    Ive had 3 F150's over the years. Im going to be in the market soon for a truck and seeing issues not resolved over the years and new features that will end up being issues (5.0 now has cylinder deactivation... Ill pass on that) is what brought me to looking at Tundras. My 3.5 EB never gave me engine issues but the electronic power steering unit was another story...

Metro14536 likes this.
  22. May 4, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    serbiansizzle

serbiansizzle New Member

Member:
    I shopped around for a while just to see if anything else would deter me from buying a Tundra. The Tundra just seemed to be the most truck like out of all the other brands, now that they are all in this arms race of who can come up with the most ridiculous feature. I think that the Tundra is a great value, drives great, has all the Tech you'd want, and the reliability/resale are fantastic.

I purchased it because my plan is to keep it for at least 10 years. I did find mine used - it's a 2018 Limited CrewMax with 90k miles. It was on a GM lot and they didn't really want it. I was able to grab it for 29.9k OTD while trading in my 16 year old Lexus. Buying used isn't for everyone but I did find one that was priced under current market value. There is no other truck I would have considered used besides the Tundra.

The things that bother me about the Tundra is the shitty JBL and the lack of usable front parking sensors. I don't get why there are 4 sonars in the rear and the front only picks up corners. This can be fixed with the FRAC Camera and the sound system is also an easy upgrade. Neither are terribly expensive. Other than that, it's great.

Many are saying that the new generation will not impact the current Gen because of the Turbo. I think there may be some truth to it. I didn't want to wait and wanted to hold on to this 5.7 for the proven reliability, simplicity, and sound it makes.

23. May 5, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    TRDer

TRDer New Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD Pro
    I made the switch to the Tundra a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. This is my first gasser after owning diesels (Cummins) for over 20 years. If you would have told me I would buy a Tundra 1 month ago, I would have laughed at you. It was between the F150/F250 Tremor, and the RAM 1500, with a heavy lean towards the RAM. The wife loved the Tundras, and I finally grudgingly agreed to go look at one. The rest is history. :)

24. May 5, 2021 at 5:17 PM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    People argue left and right about Ford vs Chevy vs Ram vs Toyota vs ad nauseous.
    When it's all out there in front of God and whatever, RESALE dictates the best quality truck over time.
    Time and time again Toyota clearly comes out on top by a good amount.
    That should answer your question.

Metro14536 and TundraTeddy like this.
  25. May 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    TundraTeddy

TundraTeddy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Teddy
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green 4x4 Tundra CrewMax
    Welcome aboard! You won't regret it.

TRDer[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. May 5, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    If I haven't already welcomed you elsewhere, welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)!

TRDer[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top