1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Crewmax Driver Door not closing

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by hrv2017, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Mar 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    hrv2017

hrv2017 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
    I am currently dealing with a minor issue that shouldn't exist. Give you readers a little context, I bought a 2021 Army Green Crewmax Trail Edition and absolutely love it. I waited over a month for it to ship to a dealership 4 hours away for me to go pick it up.

The day it arrived, I made the 4 hour trip to pick it up and man, was it everything I expected EXCEPT the driver side door.

Upon inspecting the vehicle, I opened the door and heard a rather loud "Thunk" noise. I go to close the door to recreate the noise and noticed the door wouldn't fully close. I opened all of my other doors and none of them made the noise and all of them fully closed with minimal effort.

I brought it up to the salesman and had it checked out by the service department who suspected the weather stripping around the frame might have been incorrectly installed and said they could fix it. Only problem is, I'd have to return on a separate day to pick up the truck. Again, I live 4 hours away so I wasn't going back empty handed. They gave me paper work documenting my concern to show my local dealership and reassured me it was covered by my warranty.

I finally got my appointment today and the service manager told me it's a problem common amongst other 2021 Tundras and that it needed an adjustment that the local body shop they contract with can do.

My question to all you fine folks on this forum is; has anyone else faced something similar and if so, what was the solution? Thanks for taking the time in reading this and have a good one.

2. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:00 PM
    Grizzly660

Grizzly660 21 Army Green Sport

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Sport
    20 inch XD Hoss wheels with Nitto EXO Grappler Wetokole seat covers
    My 21 also (all doors) take more effort to close compared to my previous 2015. All doors gaps line up well and seals look good and aligned.

3. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    14CRWMX

14CRWMX New Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Either misaligned lock or the hook. Bad weather stripping should be noticeable when you look at it and also can be pushed to lock in.

hrv2017[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    hrv2017

hrv2017 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Vehicle:
    Have you had your dealership look at it? If so, did they say anything?

5. Mar 1, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    Grizzly660

Grizzly660 21 Army Green Sport

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Sport
    20 inch XD Hoss wheels with Nitto EXO Grappler Wetokole seat covers
    No I havent brought it it in. Figured it was normal and a minor issue that I don't want them to screw up more.
    This guy says the same thing on youtube (not my video @3 min). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jMFfxoACOgc&t=263s

6. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    hrv2017

hrv2017 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Vehicle:
    Huh interesting...I got it back from the shop today. They were able to lower the noise significantly and now my door is easier to close. I didn't get any paperwork behind the adjustment yet as apparently the body shop they outsourced with needs to bill the dealer first before I get a copy.

7. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    bkdelux

bkdelux New Member

Member:
    Ha, yeah have a 2021 Platinum and my kids and wife do the take 2 often. I actually did it at the store the other day, didn't shut the back completely and truck was beeping at me driving down the road! Not a big deal, love how solid the doors and seals are, we'll get used to it. Got the truck with 5 miles on it, BRAND NEW so will adapt.

8. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    grandmabetty

grandmabetty New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SX
    The doors on my 21 are hard to close but they seem to be getting easier to shut with use. My boss also has a 21 and his doors close way easier than mine

9. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:38 PM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    Worked on a 21 taco today that has hard closing doors like I’ve never felt on a new car. Wonder if a weatherstrip spec changed.

10. Mar 2, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    FUTRBLD

FUTRBLD New Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Limited
    The drivers door on my 2020 crewmax has been noticeably harder close than the other doors since day 1, other than taking more force to close there is nothing else out of alignment or appearance on it. I hesitate to bring it up at the dealer and then get the truck back with another issue or misalignment after they messed with it. I actually forgot about it until seeing this thread.

11. Jun 5, 2022 at 12:36 AM
    Roselaker

Roselaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 CM (trail edition)
    The drivers door on my '21 crewmax closes harder than any of the other doors, and has since it was new. The dealer just explains it away as 'normal' behavior.

When I worked at a dealership as a tech, we witnessed more than once, heavy set truck drivers, hanging on the door as they squeeze in to unload vehicles from the car hauler. This can't help...

12. Jun 5, 2022 at 1:15 AM
    Dawoofles

Dawoofles New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cheyenne, WY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tundra SR5
    TRD rear sway bar, SS3 Max Amber Fog Lights, Carthartt Seat Covers, Morimoto LED interior lights, Driver Side Grab Handle, Husky Floor Liners, Weathertech full SunShade, Cat Back Stainless Works Dual Exhaust, OEM metal Oil Canister, Bed Mat, Deck Rail System, OCD Center Console, Full RCI skid Plates(Engine,Transmission, Cat Guard, and fuel tank)
    Could be the door check. Had a wind storm in Wyoming and it blew my driver door back. Noticed it had a different sound when it shut. Dealership replaced the door check but body shop had to adjust the door to align it again. It was a very small adjustment but enough to fix the sound it was making.

Roselaker likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top