1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Tundra "Woo Woo Woo" noise with slight vibration in the steering wheel

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by juice8200, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Nov 8, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    juice8200

juice8200 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2020 Tundra that I purchased a couple of months ago with 27k miles. I am noticing an
    intermittent 15-40mph woo woo sound coming from front end that goes seems to go away when truck is put in 4 wheel drive. When the noise is happening it matches up to a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Drivers side front differential needle bearing has more up and down play than passenger side. New tires have been installed and have been rotated with no change. I really didn't notice the sound when I purchased.

I am adding a video of the noise and play in the needle bearing on the drivers side. In listening to the sound, is this the sound of the needle bearing or something else?

I am going to take the truck to Toyota to look at it under warranty, however I wanted to get some thoughts of what this could be. Also if any other 2020 Tundra owners have seen this issue.

Woo Woo Noise:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4dUHoF_mHPk

Drivers Side Needle Bearing Play:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O50UEfwZjXo

Thanks!

2. Nov 8, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    :woot::woot:

Tundra just sounds happy

3. Nov 8, 2022 at 1:06 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    The whistles go WOO. WOO WOO!

Doesn't sound like catastrophe to me. Could be a lot of things. If it goes away in 4wd, then it might be the diff. The hubs are always locked, so your spinning the front diff all the time. Perhaps applying power to it makes it go away. It's in permanent coast when in 2wd. But IDK.

WaterTrash likes this.
  4. Nov 8, 2022 at 1:59 PM
    WaterTrash

WaterTrash New Member

Member:
    I immediately thought of the whistle tips lol.

Could be a dif. The wife's tacoma has the rear dif whine and it sounds like a wooooo

5. Jan 17, 2023 at 9:34 AM
    shoggan

shoggan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    2020 cement grey Tundra
    I have the same issue on my 2020!

Had it to dealership multiple times over two year and they can't find any thing. l was in last week and they said it was the tires and switched them over, which was bull as I had issue on previous set. It was good for my return home from dealership which me me suspicious they knew what the problem was and tried to do a quick fix.
    My issue is that it could be very intermittent at the start but now getting worse. I notice it around 40kph and worse when coasting, slowing down or turning right. It disappears in 4wd and can be heard when I drop out to 2wd. I have decided to take it to another dealership for a second opinion.

I have the issue is that it is just out of the 3 years warranty but hope that it would be covered under the drivetrain warranty. I also have all the paperwork from previous visits to back up my concerns.

Will see this Friday what this other dealership has to say.

6. Jan 17, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    juice8200

juice8200 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I was able to take it to the dealer and they put a new front differential in under the 36 month warranty. Noise is completely gone now. The dealer really didn't fight me on it as I suspected they would have. It should be covered under the drive train warranty as well. I think taking a video of the truck having the issue could help to get them to fix it. Good Luck, hope you can get yours fixed as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top