1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Tundra where to get shark fin removed?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by bbells, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Dec 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    My brand new Tundra can't fit into my garage because of the shark fin antenna. It is the same height as my 2016's antenna, but that was a flexible wire that would bend when going into the garage. I am almost positive my camper will not fit on the truck because of the shark fin antenna. The shark fin is the antenna for everything; XM, FM, AM, GPS, etc.
    I don't want to dig around changing things on my brand new truck.
    Where in the heck would I go to get this antenna removed, modified, chopped off, or replaced with something that has a lower profile? On the web there are several posts about replacing it on older trucks when it was just the XM antenna, but not the newer everything antenna. Thanks for any help.
    I don't see myself cutting a slice out of my garage door to get it in. Nor, removing the concrete pad to lower the truck.
    I would still like to have some radio reception after the modification.
    I have talked to several dealers and Toyota Corp. to no avail.
    Any help?

2. Dec 28, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    It doesn't help with the camper fitment, but can you adjust the stop on your garage door to open just little higher? Most doors I've seen are adjusted to stop with the bottom slightly below the top door frame. They can usually be adjusted to stop above the frame. Just another couple inches of travel.

Sometimes this might involve shortening the arm that attaches the door to the trolley, and then adjusting the down stop. Other times it's as easy as merely adjusting the up stop.

3. Dec 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    I wish. It was the first thing I tried. Thanks for the input.

4. Dec 28, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    Predator Tundra

Predator Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fallon, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    If you don’t need to remove it completely you can chop it down. Check out Meso’s Tacoma build on TW. He did it and explains that the important parts of the fin are actually at the bottom. Just an option

rodm1 likes this.
  5. Dec 28, 2019 at 12:07 PM
    tech1208

tech1208 Old Salt, New truck

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4X4 Blueprint Blue
    You either have a a custom garage door size and or a negative slope entrance or you have lifted your truck. The truck was designed to fit into a standard garage door opening height (84 inches). The TRD Pro Tundra is just under 78 inches. My 2020 Platinum 4X4 is 77.4 inches. I'd take another look at the door and the opener. Unless you have the irregular size from an old house build/design?

6. Dec 28, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    I was told you can't chop down the newer shark fins because they are multi tasking and the wires and stuff are higher up in the fin.

AggiePhil and TWJLee like this.
  7. Dec 28, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    Sorry. That does not help. Obviously there are fluctuations. The height of my truck is 79 inches with the shark fin. The fin is also too high for my camper. The "standard garage door height" in my area is not anything close to 84 inches. I measured four of them. All the houses were made in the last 10-20 years.

MaxMB likes this.
  8. Dec 29, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    I tried sanding it down with my belt sander. Only made it down 1/8 inch before hitting screws and antenna plates. I guess the only solution is to call an aftermarket antenna/stereo place.

9. Jan 2, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    Ok. I have called a half dozen body shops and car audio places and none have a solution. Toyota has no solution, and my dealer said others are having the same problem - Usually they find out by hitting their garage door with the antenna, requiring body work. I can only sand the shark fin down 1/8 inch before hitting wires. It is obvious Toyota thinks garage openings are 84 inches. Unfortunately, they did not figure in that the garage doors hang down 4-6 inches below that. The only thing I can come up with is have a body shop remove the shark fin, cover the hole, and install a rear window antenna, thus disconnecting the xm and gps features. Earlier years the shark fin did not include the FM and GPS antennas, only XM, so you could easily cut them down or remove them and replace with a puck antenna. Searching the net is not coming up with any lower profile replacement antennas. Changing the garage is out of the question because my camper will also hit the fin. Plus, the garage of neighbors are about the same actual height, either a little taller or shorter.

10. Jan 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    tech1208

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    I post this not wanting to poke you in the eye. This situation seems different from what most of us have experienced. While I understand your garage door hangs down 4-6 inches is that the whole door as in when its retracted, its 4-6 inches below the cross beam above your garage threshold?

If that's the case, I have no idea how to assist. If your threshold is actually 82 plus inches off the ground, and the door is stopping 4-6 inches on the incline to retract, most openers can pull the door back further above the crossbeam. If you have a one piece door that swings up, I get it, I've never seen it before though.

If your past that, so be it. I also understand your camper won't fit with the current location of the antenna. Couldn't you buffer that by a couple of inches when in use to make that clear? My only other offering is where you concluded, to weld up the opening, and relocate the antenna to possibly the hood so it will still function as designed assuming the hood offers a grounding plane like the roof.

11. Jan 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Can you swap it out with one from a 2018, they are flat?

12. Jan 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    The 2018's roof antennae are satellite radio-only - GPS is in the dash and AM/FM are a traditional mast antenna.

13. Jan 2, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    bbells

bbells [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra sr5 5.7l
    Not to poke you in the eye, but as stated before, according to Toyota I am not the only one with the problem. It is impossible to have a garage door on most garages and retain the same opening as the raw opening. It does not matter if your garage door is different. What is, is. The truck won't fit in my garage door, or my neighbors or my barn. I will never be parking it in your garage, so the height of yours does not matter. Neither does any idea about raising the garage door. Please reread the question. I don't need info on the garage. I have already done what I can do there. What I am looking for is a real solution to the problem. Where to get a different antenna for the truck, or if anyone knows of an antenna that I can replace the shark fin with. Unfortunately the newer shark fin antennas have all the truck antennas in them and can only be cut down 1/8 inch without affecting the signals so they can't be cut down. I also cannot find a plate to plug the hole if I switch to a window or regular antenna. I am on Toyota's notification list for when they find a solution. But, I would rather fix this sooner than that.

MaxMB likes this.
  14. Jan 2, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    Ericbike6

Ericbike6 So we're doing this shit today?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD 4X4 sport
    Air bags, ARK liners, misc bullshit added also
    Easiest fix, would be much lower tire pressure... :rofl:

Maybe smaller wheels and tires? :bananadance:

Just kidding, shitty situation. Good to know, though.

Haggis777 likes this.
  15. Jan 2, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    The standard garage door height s 7 feet, or 84 inches. 2 most common sized garage doors sold are a 8x7 and 9x7.

Unless your garage was framed differently.

I may have overlooked it if already answered is it the garage door itself that is hitting the antenna or the header of the garage door opening?

AggiePhil and Rider0120 like this.
  16. Jan 2, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    tech1208

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    :boink::angrygirl:

:popcorn:

Elevatormatt likes this.
  17. Jan 2, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    How many inches do you need to clear? Are you renting or you own your own house? Is the actual garage door hitting or the garage door frame opening? Is the garage door opening have concrete header?

Overhead garage doors tracks can be raised a couple of inches from the ground up to the motor.

The header trim board can be replaced by a thinner material.

The door gasket can be notched and replaced by a bristle brush sweeper.

As for your truck, relocating it to the front of the roof will be the ideal place since it's the lowest part of the roof line.

I apologize if you already considered my suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  18. Jan 2, 2020 at 4:26 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    I was rubbing my garage door too, as it sat a few inches lower than the opening and no matter what I did, I couldn’t get it raised. Beat the hell out of it going in and out, and the 30 year old garage door motor stopped working...bummer...sort of...
    I replaced it with a $200 belt drive from Lowe’s, suuuuuper quiet comparatively and upon installation, you press a button where you want the belt drive to open the garage door to; and also close to, meaning I was able to raise to garage door far above the actual opening...you know that scene where griswold’s Xmas lights finally turn on? That was me...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    D4x4TRD and dittothat like this.
  19. Jan 2, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Before doing that, I would park it outside in the driveway.

Unless your house is masonry with an angle iron lintel setting the height of the garage door, I would reframe the garage door to a standard door size. It doesn't matter what size garage door openings in your neighborhood are...standard garage doors are 9' X 7' or 8' X 7' and that's what Toyota considered.

Typically, garage doors are framed such that jambs of 2" X 8" or 2" X 10" lumber can be used inside the opening with a slight overlap (<1/2") of the garage door on each side and the top. That means that by removing the top jamb, you can probably gain 1.5" without affecting the door fit at the top (assumes the door is a standard door). If that's not enough, reframe the opening or park in the driveway. You wouldn't be the first whose Tundra didn't fit their garage.

stuckinohio and SprinterAE86 like this.
  20. Jan 2, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    Buster1

Buster1 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Limited TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Let the air out of your tires, then it'll fit into your garage.....

21. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    Tinabell85

Tinabell85 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5
    Searched the internet to see if anyone else has had the same issue. I went to pull my Tundra in the garage and almost ripped the shark fin clean off.

My issue is the actual frame of the garage not the door. Instead of modifying the garage door I would much rather replace the shark fin. I had to remove the cover and part of the shark fin just to pull the truck out of the garage.

I use android auto, google maps gps and google play music... is there really a need for the sharkfin?

22. Mar 6, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    jemnoriega

jemnoriega THANOS TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Migz
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum CM
    STOCK
    I’m not having problems yet. But I will be once I lift the truck up. I have like 4inches of clearance from the top of the sharks fin.

23. Mar 6, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    I'm going to have this same problem once my lift is in. I was just planning to remove the fin and welding on some metal to cover the hole. Didn't know the GPS was in that fin too. That kinda sucks I'm going to lose that even though I mostly use google maps on carplay. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.

GodlessPro likes this.
  24. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    dsurfkiller

dsurfkiller New Member

Member:
    I just bought a 2020 Tundra 4x4 SR.

I had actually measured out my garage height, 78.5", and compared it to the 2020 brochure... 76.4", so good to go...

Not quite...with the shark fin it's over 80. Hence I found this thread. Please post if anyone finds a workable replacement.

Fortunately its not a huge issue because I wasn't planning to store the truck in the garage. But i was planning to get a camper shell and store that during dirt bike season with a hoist system I have in the garage, so that's out for now.

25. Jul 30, 2020 at 1:39 PM
    HappyCamper7424

HappyCamper7424 New Member

Member:
    My garage height is 78" so I have the same concern. I test drove a 2WD SR home to see if it would fit. It did, within about 1 inch. So I was wondering, do you have larger than the standard 18" wheels or do you think the 76.4" does not include the height of the shark fin?

26. Jul 30, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    Maybe it’s just me but I would have exhausted every other possibility of modifying/replacing the garage door before I took a belt sander to a brand new truck.

27. Jul 30, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    It's not just you.

28. Jul 31, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Maybe time to move?

Elevatormatt and AggiePhil like this.
  29. Jul 31, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    Dragracer_Art

Dragracer_Art New Member

Member:
    Dawsonville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax 4x4
    5100's/+2.5" Eibachs, 18x9 +25 Methods,37x12.5 BFG KM3's
    WTF was Toyota thinking by putting a hard, fixed, non-flexible object on top of the roof... making it the first thing to hit a tree limb or overhead garage door ???
    And... when it DOES hit... it damages the roof in the process.

I swear...

They make some of the best trucks on the planet... and overlook stupid shit like this. :facepalm:

30. Jul 31, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    Yeah, it’s Toyota’s fault the guy didn’t do any research and make sure the truck he was buying would fit in his garage. It’s Toyota’s fault people don’t know how to drive. God Damn Toyota!

Products Discussed in

To Top