1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 CrewMax SR5 Monitor/Sensor Question

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by RoxxW, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Sep 9, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    RoxxW

RoxxW [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Just purchased the base SR5 model because of the cost of buying higher models is just to pricey for me. Also I can do upgrades along the way that will be less painful to my budget.

The SR5 has TSS-P which is basically the Pre-Collision System w/Pedestrian Detection. Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert and Auto High Beams.

As time goes forward and my budget can afford to upgrade the truck, can additional sensors be added? Are the sensor plug n play? I would think the necessary programming is already in the CPU, just add the sensor and the CPU sees it.

For example, I got the standard side view mirrors w/heat. I want to upgrade to the tow mirrors with heat. As I was looking at the heated tow mirrors, I noticed some had the BSM feature. If I paid the price for those heated BSM tow mirrors, would the SR5 model CPU see the new BSM sensor mirrors and enable them?

Or say Lane Departure Assist. if I purchased those senors and installed them, would the SR5 CPU "see" those and enable them?

2. Sep 9, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    Dragracer_Art

Dragracer_Art New Member

Member:
    Dawsonville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax 4x4
    5100's/+2.5" Eibachs, 18x9 +25 Methods,37x12.5 BFG KM3's
    Interested in seeing the responses here.

From my experience... Toyota is pretty good about redundancy and simplicity... so there may be some good options... but I cant answer your specific questions.<sorry>
    There might be a setting in Techstream to enable/disable certain functions/add-ons.

I will say however... you might be the first Tundra owner that actually WANTS those BSM/lane departure sensors to work. :rofl:
    The very first thing I did to mine (after the annoying drive home from the dealership) was to turn all those annoying beepers and nanny sensors off. :)

PeakIT, RoxxW[OP] and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  3. Sep 9, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    RoxxW

RoxxW [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well at age 57, I do start to wander into other lanes so BSM may be of use to me. Lane Assist is what I was really wondering about. Again, at age 57, it may help me while driving long distances. I am not interested in Parking Assist at all. And it just plain make sense that the factory would want the shops to not have the hassle of configuring these features...

Looking forward to the responses also........

I agree the beeping DOES get annoying. Perhaps that should have made the steering wheel vibrate instead

4. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    Adding BSM into any vehicle isn’t just possible if it doesn’t already have it. Your best bet is to buy blindspot mirrors. Just my .2 cents

5. Sep 10, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    OTX

OTX 2018 Tundra SR5 Off-road Crewmax 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    North Chicago, Illinois
    I have a 2018 Crewmax and while it’s equipped with all the safety features, I have yet to use it and I don’t think I ever will.

6. Sep 10, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    I had a 2020 SR5 4WD that came with the TSS, pre-collision, and lane departure. The dealer added a rear parking sensor. It's spliced unto the back-up lights and the buzzer is just mounted behind the rear seats. It's an easy install. I bought another set for the front and placed the buzzer by the passenger kick panel. As for the BSM, based on my research, it's not applicable to be placed behind metal bumpers. You need to upgrade your bumpers with plastic and ditch the chrome/metal. There are two options for the monitor, one is to get a tow mirror or aftermarket replacement side mirror with bsm embedded in the mirror. Or just a dummy LED light placed at the side mirror mounting cover.

I am with you with buying the base SR5 and upgrading what you need and want vs financing the options for 3 to 6 years.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/2020-toyota-tundra-sprinter-xlk-4x4-off-road-build.56864/

RoxxW[OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    RoxxW

RoxxW [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:

Thanks. I was looking for this type of validation. The other two commentators were making assumptions/personal preferences and not answering the question like I had asked. Thank you for taking the time to read and understand what I was asking.

I also found it hard to believe Toyota Engineering would not have pre-programmed the CPU/DB at the factory so the dealership service centers would have to do the programming themselves. It should be plug n play. (like almost every other electronic device in society)

I've located factory tow mirrors with the BSM embedded in the tow mirror. A bit pricey (398/each) but to have to buy a Limited, Plat or TRD Pro to just have that BSM option is way more expensive!!

Do you have any thoughts on the Lane Assist??? (not Lane Departure warning beep) Not sure where this sensor is located. I can see this feature being of value for long distance travel and the truck keeping me in the lane versus the Lane Departure which is just a beeper.

Many thanks again for your reply.

8. Sep 11, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Lane assist is going to be more complex. That's AI realm already. I would not even attempt to do a retrofit unless you're a developer and doing test in a controlled environment. Not all roads have painted/visible painted stripes. The same goes with traffic cutting you off. Now, the retrofit will be from a wrecked Tesla with autopilot and transfer all the sonar, radar and camera along with the ecu. It's going to be more expensive in the end, but also fun and rewarding when you get it to work.

Did you try looking into after market tow mirrors with power fold options? I think it's going to benefit you when parking without trying to fold it manually.
    https://www.1aauto.com/2014-19-toyo...ror-set-trail-ridge/i/1amrp02082/1255001/2018

I will just go with an aftermarket BSM module and adapt it to the tow mirror's + light and get an OEM BSM switch to turn it on or off.

9. Sep 11, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    What color is your truck and where are you located? I have silver sky bumper corners with the BSM sensors for sale. But I’m not willing to ship them.

SprinterAE86 likes this.
  10. Sep 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM
    Tumbler

Tumbler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 CrewMax Limited HV in MGM
    The only part of BSM that is in the mirror is the LED indicator light. The sensors that detect presence of a vehicle in your blind spot are actually at the back of the truck, on the sides behind the fender/bumper. So adding the mirrors will do nothing. You will not have the rest of the system to back it up (dedicated ECU, wire harnesses, sensors, etc).

Lane Keeping Assist is a whole other animal above and beyond BSM. As mentioned above there is a crap ton of system behind the function. There is no practical way to retrofit this post production.

Frankly speaking expecting the OEM to leave in hardware and wire harnesses for later DIY upgrades is not realistic. Just my 2 cents.

RoxxW[OP] likes this.
  11. Sep 11, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    There have been posts where people had random wires to things that weren’t installed in their truck. Crawl under the truck and look for the wires for the sensors to see if they ran them. Maybe the section at the factory that runs the wires does it for all trucks. First step for me to see if they will work would be to look for the wires.

joonbug likes this.
  12. Sep 11, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Here’s what the BSM sensor in the rear corner looks like.
    1EFF3854-1E1B-49EB-A773-1E55A72EC06D.jpg

And this is what the plug looks like.
    26C385A6-8C20-4632-B3E6-9F7997EF7A89.jpg

As @timsp8 said, I would look for the harness in the rear bumper area. Without this plug, it’s probably not doable.

RoxxW[OP], SprinterAE86 and timsp8 like this.
  13. Oct 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    Tun20

Tun20 New Member

Member:
    I also bought the 2020 SR5 crewmax base model. No parking sensors and no mirror sensors. Contacted another dealership to see if they could install them the answer was no. Then contacted local radio/alarm shop and was told it cost about $1000, but it was hit or miss they would work. They actually advised not to get them. Go figure...

14. Oct 31, 2020 at 3:37 AM
    Doxiedad

Doxiedad Distinguished Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road Cavalry Blue
    The Lane assist is not available on the Tundra. Tundras use an old fashioned hydraulic steering. Cars with the Lane assist (that bumps you back into your lane) use electric steering. That means there is no programming in the ECU for that, If i understood you correctly. We have the Land Departure Alert that beeps at you but that is all our current gen Tundra is capable of.

PeakIT likes this.
  15. Oct 31, 2020 at 4:00 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    If op can't stay in his lane while driving any more, it's time to give up that license.

16. Oct 31, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    PeakIT

PeakIT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Tundra Double cab
    Coachbuilder 3” shackles, King extended travel, SPC upper arms, 5:29 gears, FN FX rims,35"tires, leer shell, grill
    My Denali Duramax, my new Subaru outback, my Raptor all have that beeping distracting crap. Lane keeping where the car turns itself back into its lane hardly works unless you are driving down a freshly paved and painted flat straight highway with no hills or turns or rain or snow or leaves or dirty cameras.

Actually the only one I didn't disable that actually seemed to work unless in a canyon or shitty road or snow was the Raptor. Tesla has good tech for this. Maybe you will like the new truck when they make it. I reserved a Trimotor one for a work truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top