1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5.7L Transmission Cooler Kits

Discussion in 'Genuine Cooling Systems' started by Genuine Cooling Systems, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Aug 24, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    Big thanks to @chasenicholas93 , his kit went in beautifully, and works as advertised.

Temps on the way to the dealer were at 212 steady, and that was with me 'only' driving on flat roads, with only me in the truck (150 pounds). A family of 4 and 6k on the back, my trans would fry:
    Screenshot_20210824-150212_Gallery.jpg

I didn't get a picture on the way back, but it never went over 190. What a relief! It looks sharp too, had my dealer do mine so it's on paper.

20210824_150730.jpg

2. Aug 25, 2021 at 3:09 AM
    Clemsonman14

Clemsonman14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Crewmax 4x2
    How much did your dealer charge to put it on?

ryanwgregg likes this.
  3. Aug 25, 2021 at 3:18 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Having a dealership do it vs any other ASE certified mechanic doesn't make a difference.

diablodalton likes this.
  4. Aug 25, 2021 at 3:21 AM
    Bammer

Bammer I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Crew Max 4x4

OH?? I bet IT DOES !

ryanwgregg and Clemsonman14 like this.
  5. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:19 AM
    JDM FTW

JDM FTW New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Limited TRDOR
    Not according to MY dealer. YSMV.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  6. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    JDM FTW

JDM FTW New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Limited TRDOR
    I have the old ScanGauge. Been considering the new one, any issues with getting it to sync up with your Tundra?

7. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    Bammer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    More clout having a Toyota dealer install something, especially if there is an issue down the road.

JDM FTW[QUOTED] and diablodalton like this.
  8. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    It's a bet you'd lose unless your warranty is through your dealer" because a manufacturer's warranty claim isn't approved or denied by the dealership. It's up to Toyota corporate. On top of that, the transmission is highly unlikely to experience any trouble within the warranty period. So, again, having it "on paper" means very little.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  9. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:34 AM
    Bammer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:

I see your point....

10. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:46 AM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    Jesus tap dancing Christ on a Cracker, boys... my bad... I'll never go to the dealer for anything, ever again!

Did you see what just happened? Too much to risk losing street cred with all the super cool edgy folks here! Get an ASE certified mechanic to do it, or you're an absolute tool!

Seriously though, I paid $900, and I'm fine with it... I wanted the next person that bought my truck to see that 'Toyota' (not the morbidly obese, 'ASE' mechanic that flies the Confederate flag down the street) did it, so that cost me about $500 extra.

11. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    Bammer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    I think you covered yourself and the truck the best way possible.

diablodalton likes this.
  12. Aug 25, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    diablodalton

diablodalton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Platinum MGM
    8" Ready Lift, SPC UCA's., Bilstein B8 8125, Amp Steps, 37/12.5R 20 Cooper STT PRO, On order: Valhalla Armor, Dirty Deeds Exhaust
    I run into this on the forum quite a bit... It does and doesn't. I really depends on the dealership. I had one dealership install my supercharger, lift kit, aftermarket bumpers... blah blah blah... which was an hour away from my house. Not very convenient for maintenance and check up intervals... I took my truck in to my local Toyota Dealership for a maintenance interval check up (no oil change just a check up) and I got it back with warning stickers everywhere stating that it was lifted and the safety sense should be disengaged and a warning sticker over my cruise control... and they documented in the system that they would not service my truck under warranty due to unsafe modifications. I then had to REMOVE said stickers (not fun) and have my original dealership who installed the upgrades (before I received the vehicle from the lot, btw) make a note in the system that it WAS IN FACT covered and that they TOYOTA did the installation.

Long story short... find a reputable dealer that will support what you are "modifying" to your truck.

13. Aug 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    diablodalton

diablodalton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    8" Ready Lift, SPC UCA's., Bilstein B8 8125, Amp Steps, 37/12.5R 20 Cooper STT PRO, On order: Valhalla Armor, Dirty Deeds Exhaust
    Same question

14. Aug 25, 2021 at 1:14 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I agree that dealers can be different, but a dealer does not equal Toyota. Just because a dealer installed it doesn’t mean Toyota won’t deny warranty claims in the future. Unless your dealer themselves are covering the warranty cost, which is unlikely, Toyota can deny anything they want no matter who installed the aftermarket parts. Yes there is the magnussen moss act. But dealers don’t approve warranty claims. They just submit it to Toyota and go by what Toyota says.

A lot of dealers install aftermarket parts before selling the truck. That doesn’t mean it was approved by Toyota.

GODZILLA likes this.
  15. Aug 25, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    SchnauzerMan

SchnauzerMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM 4x4
    Sumo Struts, Tiger Steps, Bed Rug, Undercover Flex Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
    There seems to be lot's of speculation about this. Does anyone out there have any specific experience with Toyota approving or denying a warranty claim in circumstances such as this?

16. Aug 25, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I’ve had good luck with dealers working with me and even “fighting” for me from my point of view in getting warranty claims taken care of. There have been some posts on here of Toyota denying warranty claims. About a week ago there was a post where a guy said his steering rack went out in his unmodified 2018 and Toyota initially denied the claim.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/steering-rack-replacement.93587/#post-2365018

I don’t think Toyota should deny any properly installed atf cooler, esp since you use oem parts for the lines and thermostat. However, if it wasn’t properly installed and leaked fluid everywhere and broke the transmission I’d expect them to deny it, just like if you drained your oil and tried to drive your truck.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/if-you-are-asking-can-this-void-my-warranty-please-read.60493/

Bammer and GODZILLA like this.
  17. Aug 25, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Let's keep the religiously disrespectful cursing off the forum.

Nobody was saying you can't have a dealership do it. Just that the dealership techs are only ASE certified. It's not like they're specially certified by Toyota and that having them do it will somehow give leverage in a warranty claim with Toyota Corporate. The best thing you can do is have a certified mechanic you trust perform the work. If they happen to work at a Toyota Dealership then that's great, but if they have their own shop that's fine too.

18. Aug 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    diablodalton

diablodalton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I totally here you. Again, if you align yourself with the right dealership they will work hard for you. I have owned 9 Toyotas in my life all but one purchased new and from the same dealership. Which may be a part of the equation regarding my good luck as well.

Bammer, timsp8[QUOTED] and GODZILLA like this.
  19. Aug 25, 2021 at 3:20 PM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    Okay, my apologies to those of you with skygods that I may have offended. I deployed to fight religious extremists, so that's what my addled brain sees as colloquial banter. Still, coming from a guy that is a 'self proclaimed' D-Bag? Sorry if it got you in the feels, D-Bag.

I'm not going to lament how market economic forces complicate pandemic auto hobby pursuits, but you're 'really' under-selling the current process. Did you read the part of my content where I stated my intentions were mostly centered around optics and perception? My 8 year old could install that cooler with the right YouTube video, but I wouldn't be able to get him to pay for a new front end if he broke it during the installation, not with any 'ease'. You're acting like I had the dealer 'rebuild' the transmission, not add an external cooler, and the hyperbole isn't lost.

I share your distrust of our corporate overlords, but not enough to wait 8 weeks to have my local mechanic 'get around to it'. I wanted it done, I wanted it to show up on my Carfax years from now, so I succeeded in my mission. Many thanks to any skygod that helped me along the way!

Azblue likes this.
  20. Aug 25, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    Dallas007

Dallas007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Pro Max
    [QUOTE="diablodalton, post: 2378386, member: 8307"I took my truck in to my local Toyota Dealership for a maintenance interval check up (no oil change just a check up) and I got it back with warning stickers everywhere stating that it was lifted and the safety sense should be disengaged and a warning sticker over my cruise control... and they documented in the system that they would not service my truck under warranty due to unsafe modifications. I then had to REMOVE said stickers.

Stickers help Toyota at trial when your spouse or their attorney claim “Even if the added lift kit contributed to his death why didn’t the Toyota dealership say/do anything when it was in for service?? They saw it but didn’t say/do anything?”. Toyota lawyer simply gets up, shows a blown up photo of your vehicle with all the warning stickers to the jury and says “We did your honor”. Then sits back down…

avssuc likes this.
  21. Aug 25, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    My comment regarding the cooler/warranty stuff had nothing to do with the difficulty of the work. I was only pointing out that any certified mechanic working on your vehicle is going to hold the same sway in a warranty case as a certified mechanic at a dealership. I have no qualms about going to the dealership for service, and I like and trust the dealer tech who does work on my truck. I go to the dealership for those reasons, not because I have any illusions about better support from corporate as a result.

The d-bag bit is an inside joke from the Toyomafia thread, and a way for my friends on here to recognize me with a new username. I generally avoid being a d-bag and try not to go out of my way to offend anyone. If I happen to and they are respectful and polite in the raising of the issue I will return the respect with an apology and some effort to not intentionally offend them again. Just part of being as decent a human as I can be. I try to respect other's beliefs, insofar as they don't intrude or oppress my own, and I don't expect everyone to believe as I do. Live and let live.

My apologies if my polite request to limit intentionally offensive comments was offensive to you. It was actually a bit of looking out for you, as mods have issued bans for things like that. If somebody was really offended by it they could report it (not my style) and then it's a headache.

Jtundra81 and French Avocado like this.
  22. Aug 25, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    No, that's your rear hanging out after moralizing, then getting called on hypocrisy... but dress that window how you like. If your puritanical beliefs have some notable exceptions, just make sure everyone is tracking.

Please continue to tell me how I should spend my money (even tho I didn't ask here), and I'll put some in a jar... for my insubordination. Hopefully we are square after this.

23. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    :rolleyes:

24. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:40 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I didn't moralize, and what hypocrisy? Everyone is hypocritical at some point, because people change, and sometimes a hypocrite is a man in the process of changing.

I think you are misusing this phrase. Puritanical beliefs would LITERALLY be tied to the puritans way back when, and I have no association. I never actually said I believe in anything. I just asked for disrespectful religious cursing to be kept off the forum. A complete atheist can still be respectful of other's beliefs. I've met plenty, and have been one myself.

Where did I tell you how to spend your money? Quote it for me. I'll wait.

Anyway, this is a thread for Nick to sell his kits. If you'd like to continue this discussion, let's take it to PMs and not clutter his stuff.

French Avocado likes this.
  25. Aug 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    1) That's a euphemism, just like my JC quip. That's the definition you should be concerned with, because you seem oblivious.

2) When you and the gang commented on my comment thanking Nick, bashing me for not subscribing to your newsletter.

3) So why even comment on my content? There was no question, you had no context on my decision, so why?

I didn't know they had ❄'s that big in Wyoming.

26. Aug 25, 2021 at 6:03 PM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    Guys it’s beer:30 everywhere.

avssuc[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Aug 25, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    For your number 2:
    There was no bashing in my comment and I asked you to subscribe to nothing.

For number 3: I was purely providing info that others may not be aware of. There is much confusion on warranties and how "you will void" them. My comment was to put it into perspective for any future passerby that having a dealership perform the work is not going to have any greater impact on warranty preservation than having any certified mechanic perform the work. The context of your decision to have the work "on paper" is irrelevant to the fact that who performs the work has no bearing on Corporate's warranty decisions. So long as the certifications are present, you are in no better bargaining position having had a dealership do the work than somebody who had another certified mechanic do it. I also, SPECIFICALLY stated that everyone should take it to whatever mechanic, dealership or otherwise, they feel best about. Your assumption that I am making some claim that you shouldn't have a dealership do work is false. I have the dealership perform work on my truck, but it has nothing to do with it being a dealership and everything to do with having a competent mechanic working on my rig.

The only thing that I was calling out was that some might think that having a dealer do it somehow bettered your odds of getting warranty work approved. You've stated that you just wanted it on the carfax, and my guess would be that is to help in the event of selling the truck. That might actually work out in your favor if the buyer is under the assumption that work performed at a dealership is superior to any other certified mechanic.

If you've chosen to take this information as a personal attack and instruction on how you should spend your money, then that assumption is purely a fabrication of your own mind. Do as you will, and let others do the same.

The invitation to take this to PMs stands.

28. Aug 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    Here here, cheers to Nick for putting together a great plug and play trans cooler kit!

diablodalton and GODZILLA like this.
  29. Aug 25, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    Guys, regardless of your feelings about the magical man in the sky, I will say that knowing how the Mods here operate, it's probably best not to bring religion up.

Besides, we all know that our one true Lord and Savior is Beavis Christ.

avssuc likes this.
  30. Aug 25, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    diablodalton

diablodalton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    “I don’t recall”. :rofl:

To Top