1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 paint issue?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Taco2tundra12, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jan 6, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    Taco2tundra12

Taco2tundra12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 super white platinum tundra 4x4
    F8998C27-F5D8-4E30-B802-ADA3F693F791.jpg E122A61C-0091-47D0-97D8-7BD120037954.jpg 3BCA169D-30A2-4DC1-86AD-62E236DA1CF4.jpg Hello everyone, just washed my 2018 tundra for the second time since purchase, which was September. It was not terribly dirty but once I had the truck clean I noticed “black water stains” on the front grill. Basically I’ve noticed when it rains water collects in certain spots as it drops off the truck. I’m curious if this is a Toyota paint issue possibly not having a clear coat or just my terrible luck. I have put a lot of elbow grease in trying to see if it would come out with no luck. These water stains were all of over the truck but only stained the front plastic parts of the grill. Does anyone have suggestions? Should I notify the dealership and expect help from them as I am due for the 5,000 mile service this week? Any advice is appreciated.
    If these pictures are not clear please let me know and I will try to get better ones in better sunlight.
    Thanks,
    Blake

2. Jan 6, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    Hammy68

Hammy68 Peak Bagger

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    RC 1.75” Front, 1” Rear, TRD Dual Exhaust, Nitto RGs 275/70/18, TRD Center Caps, Rugged Cover Hard Tonneau, Rhino Liner, LED interior/exterior upgrade
    I would definitely bring it to the dealership and show them as soon as possible. With all the buying etc you’ve tried, that should come out and look absolutely clear and spotless. You shouldn’t expect anything less on a brand new platinum. Maybe some kind of solvent or chemical got onto the truck and reacted differently on the color matched plastic pieces.

3. Jan 6, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Taco2tundra12

Taco2tundra12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 super white platinum tundra 4x4
    Thank you for your response I believe if nothing else maybe they have a dealership detail guy that could possibly buff out the plastic water marks. It’s only on the front plastic the rear is fine and washed away with no issues. I was told by a detail guy that Toyota does not put a clear coat finish on their white vehicles for some reason and that is why most white Toyota show sun fade and look “chalky” within a few years if not waxed several times a year. Not sure if this is true or not.

Products Discussed in

To Top