1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 gauge cluster in a 2016?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by JeremyGSU, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    JeremyGSU

JeremyGSU [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Can you swap a 2018 gauge cluster into a 2016 SR5? I like the new digital speedometer option.

My guess is no.

2. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I suspect that you can't just plug in play.
    Agreed I like the new digital speedo.

3. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    With all of the new electronics associated with it, I don’t believe it will be possible

4. Dec 14, 2017 at 12:06 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    I highly doubt it since the harness plug is probably different due to the added features (like LDA). But then you never know since CAN Bus can transmit all kinds of data through a single wire.

5. Dec 14, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    Rhubarb Johnson

Rhubarb Johnson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhubarb
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Pro Dbl Cab; Barc Red
    New windshield wipers....just getting started
    A Toyota mechanic friend told me this, when I asked a question about modifications...."If you have enough time and money anything is possible."

I just wish it was a simple software update. Not really impressed with the small info screen. My '05 Buick Rainier actually had more information available than a '17 Toyota Tundra. Of course, the Buick was in the repair shop a lot more....;)

Jsena likes this.
  6. Dec 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    would love to get speedo on the screen since Toyota designed the steering wheel to block the 60-75mph zone on the dial.

7. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM
    JeremyGSU

JeremyGSU [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Thanks for the replies. I figured it was a long shot but worth looking into at least.

8. Apr 26, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    Spvrtan

Spvrtan Amateur fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black '14 CM SR5 w/ SC; 40s on 17s; 5.29s
    Has anyone actually tried this yet?

Williams likes this.
  9. Apr 26, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    darkknight2014

darkknight2014 Mods mods and more mods!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New york
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    20" Cooper STT Pros on md rims, quadfire lights, pro grille, leather interior, navi, retrofitted headlights, blacked out chrome, TRD sway bar, hypertech interceptor, k&n air intake, Banks exhaust
    I asked my parts guy and he said wire harness might be different due to tss and completey different setup.

10. Feb 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    Williams

Williams New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Has anyone ever purchased this as a add on after market option? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ta-to-offer-low-cost-accident-avoidance-tech/
    Stop Is Cheap: Toyota to Offer Low-Cost Accident-Avoidance Tech
    STEVE SILER
    MAR 30, 2015

[​IMG]

MICHAEL SIMARI AND THE MANUFACTURER
    ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

In what could amount to a minor coup in the safety realm among non-luxury car brands, Toyota has announced that it will make several of its electronic safety features available at a very low cost in its small and mid-size offerings. The safety systems will be bundled in two different packages and come first to the refreshed 2016 Toyota RAV4 and Avalon this fall before spreading to more vehicles by the end of 2017.

[​IMG]

For $300, the Toyota Safety Sense C system is available for compact cars and combines a pre-collision system, lane-departure warning, and automatic high beams. It uses a camera and laser radar to notify the driver of hazards with an audio and visual alert. If he or she does not respond, it will help mitigate pre-collision speeds by approximately 19 mph if the driver does not apply the brakes on his or her own, and helps provide additional stopping power if the system determines that more is necessary. Toyota says that the pre-collision system covers speeds “at which at least 80 percent of rear-end collisions occur,” (i.e. relative speeds of between approximately 7 and 50 mph. The lane-departure alert uses a camera to detect visible white and yellow lane markings and informs the driver with an audio and visual alerts in the event he or she is about to leave the lane. The automatic high-beam system works like most others, using the camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the taillights of vehicles ahead, switching to low beams so as not to dazzle other drivers.

For $500, the Toyota Safety Sense P package available for “mid-size and premium models” includes all of the above plus pedestrian detection and adaptive cruise control, thanks to the fitment of a millimeter-wave radar. Like the pre-collision system, the pedestrian-detection system works at relative speeds of between 7 and 50 mph and can reduce impact speed by approximately 19 mph, Toyota says. The radar cruise-control system works like most others, sensing cars ahead and adjusting vehicle speeds to compensate.

“The idea is to make them widely available,” Toyota spokesperson Cindy Knight told us, “but I can’t be more specific at this time.” She did point out that Toyota plans to eventually make the systems accessible to some 70 percent of its European customers, so how about that, America?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io

Ready to ride shotgun with us?

Email address
    This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.

Sort by

• 31 Mar, 2015
      Does it force slow drivers to the right?

• 30 Mar, 2015
      How about redesigning the RAV4 while you're at it? That thing is hideous. Good job on the tech though.

• 31 Apr, 2015
      Wake me up when Toyota brings back the Cellica, MR2, and Supra. Their cars are sleep inducing.

• 31 Mar, 2015
      And the stupification of our species continues.

• 31 Mar, 2015
      How about taking that $800 and spending it on a trackday driver safety course instead?

• 31 Mar, 2015
      If they only would have thought of this before the recalls.

• 31 Apr, 2015
      I wish Toyota would come out with a proper sports sedan

• 31 Apr, 2015
      There you go brain, one less thing to worry about...now back to that text.

• 31 Mar, 2015
      Didnt Toyota's accident avoidance perform awfully in IIHS tests?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top