1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Tundra Limited OEM LED partial install option?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bracky, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:10 AM
    Bracky

Bracky [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited with TRD Package
    Hello! New to the forum and Tundras.

Maybe a silly question but I haven’t seen this specific question so far in the threads. Maybe because no one would do this lol.

I have a 2017 Tundra Limited with halogens and amber DRL. For look and function I’m wanting to upgrade to LED. I would like to use the 2019 OEM lights. I don’t consider myself handy but the basic install seems simple. However, if I theoretically just wanted to maintain the amber DRL but not the LED DRL (don’t want to try and figure out the dimming harness install) could I theoretically install the OEM headlights with a conversion harness but NOT hook up the DRL portion into the fuse box?

Basically, would installing like this basically allow me to continue to have amber DRL and then use the LED hi and low beam function if the new OEM LED lights? Albeit without the LED DRL?

again, may seem like an odd choice but I like the amber DRL but love the LED headlight aesthetics.

2. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
  3. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    Bracky

Bracky [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hello!

I have been reading that thread pretty extensively I think. I think I understand the general installation.

My ultimate question I guess is more hypothetical for people with more experience than me.

My question really is if I were to install the 2018+ OEM LEDs or say the Morimoto XB LED into my 2017 Tundra (that has amber DRL at baseline) with a conversion harness but DO NOT connect the DRL component of the harness, what functionality would the lights actually have?

4. Sep 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    Armstrs

Armstrs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver CrewMax 5.7L 4x4
    Amp research power steps OEM tow mirrors OEM tonneau cover TRD Sway Bar Black Texas Lone Star plates :) Auto tail gate lock KB Voodoo 22” aluminum bed rack TRD Pro headlights Katzkin seats Black badges
    Unusual choice for sure haha. The LED DRL strips are pretty sweet... Reading that other thread though, it seems to me like you could buy the non-dimming harness and then just not hook up the LED DRL power wire to the fuse. (See steps in post #1) If you leave it unconnected, the only DRL should be the OEM amber ones. But you may want to PM iHacker and see if he has any thoughts on it or a less expensive harness without the DRL pieces. I just did the dimming harness and the amber DRL delete on my 2017. Have you seen the pics of guys that kept the amber with the LEDs? Because that is a great look too.

Inquiringone likes this.
  5. Sep 16, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Bracky

Bracky [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yes! It is an unusual request I am sure. It’s mainly because I don’t think I have the know how to install the dimming feature for the DRL LED. I’m concerned they would be too bright if I ran them without the dimming feature (when the low headlights are turned on). I don’t really mind having both the led and the amber DRL on at the same time.

6. Sep 16, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    Armstrs

Armstrs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver CrewMax 5.7L 4x4
    Amp research power steps OEM tow mirrors OEM tonneau cover TRD Sway Bar Black Texas Lone Star plates :) Auto tail gate lock KB Voodoo 22” aluminum bed rack TRD Pro headlights Katzkin seats Black badges
    I would not worry about the install. If you can follow the rest of the steps: removing the grill, trim pieces below the lights and the headlights, then 3 wires under the dash should not be a deal breaker. Follow the instructions exactly and you will be fine. I just did the dimming install under the dash yesterday and the iHacker harness made it really easy. Having amber and led means the install is even easier. No depinning. It does mean you need another wire tap since iHacker gives you one but you would need two.
    The hard part for me was getting the wire in the cab. I finally cut off the tip of the nipple and it slid right into the cab.
    BUT a lot of people say the non-dimming DRL is not giving them any issues with being too bright so you could go the easier route and keep them bright all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top