1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Stock Platinum Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by scurdyness, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Dec 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    scurdyness

scurdyness [OP] One thing is sure, uncertainty is certain

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MBM Platinum_BlackOps
    TRD CAI, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, T-Rex Sport grilles upper and lower, full window tint and brow, de-chromed, powder coat OEM wheels, blue LED interior, Winjet Tails, Retrofit headlights
    Hello folks,
    OK, the stock Platinum wheels, duly color matched (MBM) and centre caps are now on 'Zeus', HOWEVER...the lug nuts are still chrome!!!!.
    Shop reckons that these Yota nuts deals are 'special':- thread, diameters, profile, etc and therefore very difficult to change out?. I have looked on-line but I cannot completely verify the 'make-up' of these simple items.
    No way I am going to powder-coat these, after just getting hit will a bill which was nearly the cost of 'new after market wheels' - off the shelf!!!! wtf!!!

Your advice and help will be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks all...

2. Dec 28, 2016 at 6:29 AM
    HUTCHJ

HUTCHJ I can ride my bike with no handlebars

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    You wanting to replace the lug nuts?? Should be pretty easy to find. Have you called Toyota?

3. Dec 28, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Look at Gorilla Lug Nuts. They make them in black. I bought a set with conical tapers for my winter wheels (steelies that I painted black). They are good quality and a set of 20 cost me about $120, much less than OEM. I'd be willing to bet that they make black ones that are designed to fit the alloy wheels.

4. Dec 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    OP, I received your pm, but I'm posting here to share with the forum and allowing others to verify.

Tundra 2007 - present lugs require nuts with a M14 x 1.50 splines. I was never really able to verify whether we need 21mm or 7/8" lugs but the difference is really negligible (21mm = 13/16") and I think our lug wrenches will fit both. I measured the oem flat washer style ones that I had and they were 7/8" so that is what I bought.

Steel wheels use a conical shape referred to as Acorn style and have to be torqued down to 150 ft/lbs since the steel wheel is lug centric.

Alloys use a lug that looks like it has a flat washer and are only torqued down to about 95 ft/lbs since the wheels are hub centric.

Gorilla lugs makes ones that fit in chrome or black chrome.

Gorilla Black Chrome Acorn style is 61147BCX (21mm (13/16") lug wrench)
    Gorilla Black Chrome Acorn style is 66147BDX (7/8" lug wrench) - I bought this one for my steelies
    Gorilla Black Chrome Washer style is 73148TXXBC (7/8" lug wrench- does not come in 21mm lug wrench style) this one says it fits Toyota Trucks and SUV's

Here's a link to Gorilla Lug nuts http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-09.

Page 8 & 9 have Toyota fitment and you can see the chrome and black chrome choices with measurements. If you need to verify, take off an existing lug nut and measure the oem yourself. I bought some Black Chrome Acorn style for my steel wheels that I use for my winter setup (I painted some old steelies black). They fit well and are really well made.

Bag, Bulk and Clamshell refers to the packaging size that they come in. You would have to contact Gorilla or a retailer to find out how many come in each package. I believe the clamshell package has 4 in each, so you will need to buy 5 packages. I'm not sure how many are in the Bag and Bulk packages.

If you are looking for Black Chrome that fits alloys (has a shape that looks like it has a washer) then 73148TXXBC looks like it will work. I haven't tried them myself. Please report back after you tried them though, as others may want to have definitive proof.

And I do not work for Gorilla or have any relationship with them whatsoever. I was looking for lug nuts before and no-one could answer my question, so I started to research and test myself.

Hope this helps.

5. Dec 29, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    JPW

JPW New Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky Tundra CM SR5
    Might need someone else to confirm this, but I was told that 2017 Tundras returned to M12 x 1.5 lug nuts. I just bought a 2017 SR5 with steelies. Switched over to alloy wheels I got off a 2015 Tundra. But.....the lug nuts that came with didn't work. Dealership told me that I needed the M12 x 1.5 for my 2017. Fortunately was able to find a set from another 2017 off this forum.

6. Dec 29, 2016 at 7:01 AM
    scurdyness

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, T-Rex Sport grilles upper and lower, full window tint and brow, de-chromed, powder coat OEM wheels, blue LED interior, Winjet Tails, Retrofit headlights
    I just emailed the guys at Gorilla, soon as I get a reply, I will post here for reference....

7. Dec 29, 2016 at 8:27 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Not sure about the switch over to M12. I know that lugs that come with steelies won't work on alloys since alloys require the Washer shape lugs. However, oem lugs that come with allows have a conical shape that alloys them to work with steelies since they need to work for our spares which are steel. Wish Toyota would just keep things simple. Is that too much to ask?

8. Dec 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM
    scurdyness

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    I just heard back from Jon at Gorilla...message below....
    Hope this helps some folks out there..

"My part number 73148TXXBC is a black chrome plated version of the OEM lug
    nut for your Tundra, that is a good fit. I believe I found a Forum post
    about these lugs, and there was some confusion about the thread size
    changing on the 2017 Tundras. I don't have official updated information, but
    as they are still a 5 lug application similar to the 2016, it's highly
    unlikely that anything has changed there
    ."

;)

9. Dec 29, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Yeah, not sure about the M14 vx M12 thing that was posted by JPW. You should call a Toyota dealer and ask their parts dept about the lugs on a 2017. They would know for certain if it changed to M12. I can vouch that the Gorilla lugs that I purchased are high quality and the M14 fit a 2014.

10. Jan 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Scurdyness - any update on this? Did the gorilla lugs with M14 x 1.5 work?

11. Jan 5, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    scurdyness

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Still awaiting delivery, will keep you posted...

Products Discussed in

To Top