1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Alternator Dead At 90k

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Getdirections, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Jun 7, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Getdirections

Getdirections [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TSS DC 2WD 4.6
    Picked up my used 2017 DC SR5 TSS 4.6 about month and a half ago from Family Toyota of Burleson (Texas). 90k on the clock, high miles for a 2017 I know but only way I could afford one that new. Battery light came on Monday but I was able to make it home before it discharged too much. Tested and determined it was the alternator, decided I didn't really wanna change it myself, looked like a PITA where it was located. Was a little surprised it died at 90k but it is mounted where water splashes on it. Had it towed to Family Toyota of Arlington (closer to my house than the Burleson store). When they called and confirmed it was the alternator I was ready for the sticker shock of the repair estimate.... but they said they called the Burleson store and got the repair approved by them, no charge!! This was a used vehicle so I didn't think it had any warranty and it was well out of factory warranty at 90k miles. I guess they were just providing good customer service? What do you think? Was only down one day as they had to order the part, and they got it done by noon the day the part came in. Good service. I confirmed they used a new genuine Toyota alternator not a reman.

2. Jun 7, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Wow, good for you. Wondering if mileage was not considered, only year model? 3yr 36k standard.

3. Jun 7, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    Getdirections

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TSS DC 2WD 4.6
    yeah, really not sure why they fixed it but sure glad they did, the better half was pissed!! "YOU JUST BOUGHT THAT @#$%*&% TRUCK AND IT'S ALREADY BROKEN?!?!?" :eek2::mad:
    They said the repair would have been $1600, sounds pretty high, part was $550. If they woulda quoted me that price I woulda said ring me up the part and give me enough charge to get home, I'll fix it myself! :thumbsup:

4. Jun 7, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    That is for the whole kit-and-kabootle alternator. But the only wear part (unless one somehow torches the bearing) are the piss ant brushes inside there. A set of brushes is $20 or less. I still don't know if the Mama Toyota Tundra alternator is serviceable from the factory. Meaning that you can take the "basket" side off by simply pulling three bolts. Which then allows the brushes to popped out and new brushes popped in.

All of my previous Toyotas (there are many) have had serviceable alternators where I simply swap out brushes and go again.

The "fix" for your dealer may not have been as costly as one is lead to believe.

Here is a set that sits in the glove box of my T100 just waiting for the day.

EDIT: 90,000 miles seems incredibly soon for a Mama Toyota alternator to go out/bad.

Brushes.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    jeremyd, Black Wolf and TheBeast like this.
  5. Jun 7, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    Getdirections

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TSS DC 2WD 4.6
    the part number on the invoice was for a whole new unit (150Amp) and I checked and a whole new alternator was installed. Thanks for the info on the brushes tho, will deff remember that in the future.

6. Jun 7, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    good info. thanks

7. Jun 7, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    APatt

APatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement SR5 CM 4x4
    Diamondback Bed Cover, Voodoo Steel Max Modular Bed Rack, iKamper Skycamp
    Glad to hear Family Toyota took care of you. That's where I bought my truck...you never know with these dealers...

8. Jun 7, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    And think about "the game" that they play on the unknowing alternator customer. "They" tell you that your alternator is bad. You need a new one. It's $550 plus a core charge of $60 or bring in your old one. You bring in your old one. They take it from you ---- you just gave it to them for FREE. You then give them $550 and walk out with a new alternator. Everyone's happy. Right?

But what do "they" do with your old alternator? That you gave them for FREE. Why, my dear child, they take out the old brushes, put in new brushes (probably $15 their cost cuz they do ALOT of these), clean it up and then sell it as a reconditioned alternator for $400. Holy shit Batman. WHAT A DEAL.

9. Jun 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    Getdirections

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TSS DC 2WD 4.6
    "RECONDITIONED" :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top