1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 Platinum, cranks over and won't start, sporadically.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by redzman, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Jul 12, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    redzman

redzman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra 4X4 - Black
    33X12.50 Toyo M/T 20X9, +20 Offset Fuel Pump Wheels 2.5 in level kit (front only) Hellwig Sway Bar (rear) Steal Running Boards
    I have a 2016 Platinum Tundra.
    I have a viper 2-way 5806 and Smarstart.
    - It has been working fine for over a year

Recently, it started sporadically just cranking over and not starting the vehicle. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it cranks over for 10 seconds, then starts the process again. Sometimes it cranks on the second time, sometimes it doesn't. Generally after a failed sequence, it will start

Most of the time I start the vehicle with the remote start. On two occasions when I was experiencing the remote start failure, i used the key, and it just cranked over as well, without starting.

I took it to a viper installer who replaced the brain, and reviewed the wiring. It seemed like it was fixed. It started failing again the next day.

When it does crank after these failures, the exhaust does smell bad; Not like raw fuel but a concentred, distinct and foul smell.

This issue appears to happen after the vehicle has sat for some time and particularly in the morning / night, when it is cooler out.

Any help, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Given the key seems to have the same issue as the remote start, it may be unrelated to the remote start, but that seems unlikely.

Products Discussed in

To Top