1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 TRD cold start issue

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by briangrandlake, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Jan 26, 2023 at 6:57 AM
    briangrandlake

briangrandlake [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TRD
    Hi folks! I've done some research on this issue. My '14 Tundra TRD has developed the infamous cold start issue. After motor is warm, never an issue. I have 27K miles. I've read about T-SB-0166-19 and fuel pump needs replaced. For those who have had this issue did dealer cover the cost? I know the drive train warranty is passed, at 5 year mark, but I'm well under the 50K. If dealer doesn't cover, what was a typical charge for pump replacement/labor? Thanks!

2. Jan 27, 2023 at 7:29 AM
    Rock Warrior Guy

Rock Warrior Guy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
    Ok, I have seen some of you other folks with the same issue.
    Truck has 175,000 miles and is a 2012 Rock Warrior TRD.
    It seems whenever the temp outside falls below around 45 degrees my truck cranks and cranks and won't start. On the second attempt, it cranks for around 5 seconds then a bumpy start with some blue/white smoke. I recently took it in and they did a computer/program update as well as replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body and (new fuel pump 3 years ago).
    It seemed to fix the issue for about 10 days, this morning it did it again. So its not fixed.
    Anyone else have this experience and any solutions/suggestions?

3. Jan 27, 2023 at 8:09 AM
    briangrandlake

briangrandlake [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TRD
    I've done alot of research on this issue since my '14 Tundra with FlexFuel motor with only 27K miles has exhibited this issue. I've talked to two service advisors at two different Toyota dealerships. One service advisor said you must replace the fuel pump at same time the TSB is implemented. Said they have not had any repeat issues with doing both at same time. The issue is, the fuel pumps are on backorder, one said over 1,000 pumps are on back order! And no idea when they will receive more. The recent shipments they received were all damaged, all the other Toyota dealers in Tulsa experienced the same issue he indicated. Not sure why this hasn't been a recall instead of a TSB. I shouldn't have faulty fuel pump at 27K miles! And it's not covered now under the emissions warranty. And I almost choked when the quote was $1500 to perform the TSB and pump replacement, plus I have to pay for the pump in advance as I wait, possibly months for the pump to arrive.

So now I'm thinking my son and I are going to drop the fuel tank and replace the pump ourselves, great video on Youtube on the process. Then take truck in to dealer to just do the TSB. Not sure what other options there are. The service advisor said he has so many vehicles parked in their lot waiting weeks/months on parts! Nuts!!

4. Mar 23, 2023 at 12:24 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    Did you ever get your pump?

5. Mar 24, 2023 at 10:28 AM
    DTund18

DTund18 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited
    My 2018 truck had the same issue at 57k. I had no idea about the TSB but thankfully the dealership brought to my attention after the finally duplicated my complaint for the hesitation/etc at cold starts. Toyota warranties this for trucks up to 80k no charge. So my repair was covered. I was told this only affects the flex fuel 5.7L. Dealer had my truck for about 3 months because of the back order.

Products Discussed in

To Top