1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Increase in MPG??

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Quartermeter, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Feb 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    Quartermeter

Quartermeter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC WHITE
    FOX 2.0 REARS, OME FRONTS FIRESTONE AIR BAGS RCI SKID PLATE
    I try and keep my foot out of it but its difficult. I usually keep it on the mpg bar graph screen so im thinking about getting better mileage. I coast alot ant try not to brake. About 1/2 of my gas is ethanol free. I drive mostly highway. I installed the Hypertech and have an 8" BAMUFFLER on the way. Im averaging 15.5. Anyone doing alot better. Ive done other mods but nothing that will help Mpg.
    Thanks great site. Jim

2. Feb 25, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    Fly'n Family

Fly'n Family New Member

Member:
    TX / CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM Limited
    From what I've read on here, 15.5 seems pretty decent. I drive it easy as well and get a little more than that - but I attribute that to altitude.

A heavy truck with a big V8 and good gas mileage is an oxymoron. If I average 15+ it'll be great - if I average less that that - oh well, it is what it is - didn't buy it to let mileage bother me.

3. Feb 25, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    Boodles07

Boodles07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC OFF ROAD Quicksand
    I'm getting my Tundra on Tuesday and I'm going to drive like grandma so even though I know gas mileage sucks on these trucks I'm still going to continue striving for the best I can get. Anyone have a recommendation on tire pressure? Assuming going higher than factory recommendations is the order of the day?

4. Feb 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Quartermeter

Quartermeter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC WHITE
    FOX 2.0 REARS, OME FRONTS FIRESTONE AIR BAGS RCI SKID PLATE
    Yeah i was getting 17 with a 2007 LBZ 4X4 Duramax. Supposed to get 19 but oh well. I couldnt afford to keep the duramax running. Chevrolet trucks all have the same problems. I see why they got bailed out. All have hyd.hose leaks, power steer pumps failures, leaking tail shafts, overheating issues, fuel leaks, brakes dont last, bad emergency brk design...theres more.
    I hope the BA Muffler will help some. Also going to get a drop in K&N filter for the Tundra. Have a nice day...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Filthyphil likes this.
  5. Feb 25, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    Get 17.5 consistently mixed hwy and small town. Not much heavy traffic. But I keep it about 60 on the 20 mile drive to town. Not in much of a hurry anymore.

Filthyphil likes this.
  6. Feb 26, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    Number 1 don't look at that electronic vacuum gauge, just drive it. Mine is all stock and right now with winter mix I'm getting a solid 17 with around 70% highway driving on my 45 mile one-way trip to work but it'll creep up with the summer blend. You won't like the truck if you worry about the MPG, just enjoy it.

joonbug and Patriot like this.
  7. Feb 26, 2017 at 4:33 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    On point...I never bought my 5.7 for economy. Enjoy your Tundra!

8. Feb 26, 2017 at 4:40 AM
    SoCalTundra213

SoCalTundra213 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Limited DC
  9. Dec 24, 2022 at 6:52 AM
    Gilaville

Gilaville New Member

Member:
    "Chevrolet trucks all have the same problems. I see why they got bailed out. All have hyd.hose leaks, power steer pumps failures, leaking tail shafts, overheating issues, fuel leaks, brakes dont last, bad emergency brk design...theres more".
    Sad But true however I do get 19 highway with our 00 silverado 1500/5.3. Heres the scoop on our fine like a rock truck. 175K miles, 2 transmissions, one $1.25 oil pump pick up tube O ring. A $500 repair due to having to drop the front diff to drop the pan, one heater core @ $1600 to replace, U joints, 1 exploding AC compressor, E brakes falling apart. Granted we bought it used but what a pee pee poor excuse for what was once a good company. We've had numerous Toyotas and never a problem to speak of. If our soon to be had Tundra is ike the chevy Im I'll ride the horse from now on.

10. Dec 24, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    Why do these trucks get such crap mileage? I’ve had plenty of other half ton gas trucks that got substantially better mileage than this one and they were 4wd v8’s. These things get the mileage of the old early 90’s tbi engines. Not complaining, just generally curious.

11. Dec 24, 2022 at 7:09 AM
    hBaz

hBaz New Member

Member:
    middle of nowhere south of OK City
    Vehicle:
    2021 black 1794 Edition with TRD package
    My first drive in new2me 21 from north side of Kansas to central Oklahoma got 15.2. Dealer had filled it, I filled at arrival to calculate. All highway but much stop and go due to storm and accidents.

I use fuelly for accuracy. Dash meter read 15.3 for above, not bad.

Next tank was driving local, mix highway, county roads, some in town. Fuelly 13.8.

Cold now so expect worse. Dash meter showing 12.6 at half tank. Ah well.

I think about it but don't worry about it. That nice V8 sound seems to work against me trying to be light footed.

From fuelly those first 2 tanks avg 17 cents per mile. 5 cents more than our SUV but 6 cents less than f250 diesel that it replaced. So ok I guess.

12. Dec 24, 2022 at 7:12 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    My guess is the cyclinder deactivation stuff along with transmission programming to disengage when off throttle that the others use? Perhaps also the Tundra transmission build/gearing to deal with that 4:30 rear axle ratio? The trade off is the Tundra drives like it should, and doesn't have the problems cyclinder deactivation seems to cause - so it's a better driving experience that is more reliable and lasts longer. Totally worth a few MPG to me.

I was going to suggest the OP swap in a 38 gal fuel tank if he doesn't already have one, ignore the mpgs and let 'er rip!
    :burnrubber:

Trailbreaker and dondino like this.
  13. Dec 24, 2022 at 7:29 AM
    dondino

dondino New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tunda Crewmax
    I knew what it was when I bought it.I'm getting approx 14mpg now and less with the cold weather. Still beats my 2013 POS Silverado Rust Bucket any day. Barring the unforseen I'll never get rid of my 2007. All paid for, rust free (from Colorado) and is better hands down in every category except for mileage. I might have to swap in the 38 gal tank myself.....

Filthyphil and Jernik like this.
  14. Dec 24, 2022 at 8:12 AM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    I disable all that crap when I get a vehicle so that’s not it. I’ve been pondering the transmission and gearing side of things. I need to get my hptuner credits and start poking around. I know for a fact that Chevy and dodge both keep their converters locked from 2-OD and back down and adjust shift feeling with converter slippage allowance. Don’t know if the stock converter on the tundra can handle that. I also know disabling that lock up schedule helps throttle response around town and help the converter live longer. Driving my tundra around I’ve gotta really get into the throttle to get it above 2000rpm while accelerating. Probably a combo of the 34’s and 4.30’s but I’m wondering if some shift timing adjustment could help. It’s also interesting to me that 4.30’s are an upgrade to a Chevy or dodge but we run them factory. Leads me to believe Toyota relies on the final axle ratio to get the gearing and driving experience whereas Chevy and Dodge use the gearing in the transmission.

Sorry for the rambling. Just pondering things. There’s not a ton of information out there regarding tuning for these trucks so it’s hard to dig it up.

Jernik[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 24, 2022 at 8:46 AM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    Larger engine with significantly more power than a 5.3 from that era and a higher compression ratio, heavier vehicle overall, transmission stays in gear during coasting where the GM typically drops in to neutral, heavier drivetrain components more rotating weight, but i think the biggest difference is the 4.30 rear axle ratio vs. a 3.07/3.23 thats probably in your GM.

The 5.7 is more comparable to the 6.0 GM trucks which gets poor mileage in comparision to the 5.3

JLS in WA likes this.
  16. Dec 24, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    The newer GM 5.3s have cylinder deactivation, lower highway crusing RPM, less throttle response, direct fuel injection, electric cooling fans, electric power steering and other things that make it less reliable.

If you want good gas mileage, leave the truck stock with original size tires, drive slow and keep it under 70mph. Its just hard to do that with the 5.7 :D

JLS in WA likes this.
  17. Dec 24, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    Not worried about the mileage. Just curious on why the big differences.

18. Dec 24, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I don’t think the difference is as substantial as most people think. Go look at Fuelly.com. Look at the real-world averages people are posting over a whole tank of gas, not just a single highway trip. Your 2nd gen Tundra is only ~4mpg behind the cylinder deactivation GM v8s and Ford ecoboosts. Baby diesels and hybrids are generally a different story…

I’ve said it a lot on here, but I’ll gladly trade a few mpg to never have to visit the dealer again. I’ll roll over 38k miles before the new year, and it runs just as perfectly as it did on day one.

clarkritchie likes this.
  19. Dec 24, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    Again, I disable all the cylinder deactivation and eco modes and everything. They make zero difference in mileage on those vehicles. And 4mpg is significant. That’s a $1,000/yr. Again, don’t care. Just curious.

20. Dec 24, 2022 at 1:16 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Fuelly numbers for you. I picked one year to compare these three drivetrains:

2018 Silverado 5.3L v8 gas — 16.25
    2018 F150 3.5L v6 gas — 16.3
    2018 Tundra 5.7L v8 gas — 13.56

Less than 3mpg difference. Whether or not that is significant is subjective, I suppose. To me, significant means I can actually save money buying a different truck without having to drive it 175k+ miles just to break even. I’d rather stick with the truck most likely to get to that milestone and well beyond with absolutely 0 issues.

People forget that according to Edmunds the 2.5gen Tundra was the cheapest half-ton to own over 5 years in the segment compared to all other similarly equipped offerings (omitting the base model v6s and work trims). You’ll generally spend a little more in gas and a lot less in repairs.

The real kicker for me is that those trucks above that I compared the Tundra to can get 20+ on the highway, but they’re still less than 3mpg better overall.

Products Discussed in

To Top