1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tundra 5.7L V8 AC Issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by yamahasynth, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Feb 15, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    yamahasynth

yamahasynth [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all,
    I have a '12 Tundra 5.7L V8 that is having an a/c issue. The a/c light on the dash will blink and blow warm air. This started seemingly randomly during the middle of a 2 hour trip. I have googled and tried to remedy the issue but have come up short so far. I was trying to see if anyone had any better ideas or advice to give before I spend an arm and leg replacing parts. Below is what I've tried.
    1-A/C light flashed and blew warm. Whats happening is when the a/c is turned on, the compressor will spin and blow cold for about 3 seconds before shutting off.
    2- Replaced Mag Clutch Relay- same results
    3-Checked ground to compressor- Ground good
    4- Uncoupled all wire harnesses and re-coupled on compressor and from underneath the passenger-side dash
    5-Checked all Fuses- All good
    6-Vacuum Tested and Recharged system- Same results/ No leaks
    7- Jumped the Mag Clutch Relay- COLD AIR! A/c light is still flashing
    8- Replaced Mag Clutch Relay again- back to short cycle/ flashing
    9- Emptied system- No flashing lights but I'm too afraid to run the system for too long
    From what I can gather it could be the clutch speed sensor or the compressor lock sensor (maybe they are the same thing?? idk...) , both of which are located inside the compressor requiring a complete replacement. If this is true, why would the light not blink when the system was empty?
    If I do have to replace the compressor, would I also need to replace the parallel condenser as to not shorten the life of the compressor? Thanks for any help.

2. Jun 27, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    rocks860

rocks860 New Member

Member:
    I am having same problem. What did you find as a culprit?

3. Jul 3, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    SMS56

SMS56 New Member

Member:
    Same problem here as well. Compressor and clutch replaced. With the mag Clutch relay removed i get about 9.5 volts from the terminals thats supposed to engage the relay, only for about 3 seconds after ac button is depressed. Not sure what would cause that low voltage. Relay doesnt engage nor does compressor. I can jump the other 2 terminals with the relay removed and it works fine. With jumper installed and ac blowing cold i can hit the ac button to turn off the flashing and turn back on. Light stays solid.

4. Jul 3, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    TemujinNomad

TemujinNomad New Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jul 3, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    SMS56

SMS56 New Member

Member:
    Relay was first thing I replaced. Never engages unless you jump the relay terminals. What i dont get is how everything works normal when jumper is installed but 9.5 volts wont engage the relay to engage clutch. I know its a 12 volt relay and im not sure what voltage im supposed to be getting but id assume 9.5 would engage the relay. If it is indeed low i need to find the source. Need to verify the correct voltage at this point before proceeding any further if someone could help verifying that. That is the voltage im reading the first 3 to 5 seconds after turning on the a/c with the relay removed. Not sure if i would get that reading if the cover were removed from the relay so i could check with a meter while installed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  6. Jul 3, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    Just a thought
    Maybe the AC button/controller is bad?

7. Oct 11, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    NTROUBLEWXOE

NTROUBLEWXOE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ZACK
    Vehicle:
    2012 CREW SC
    Any results with this problem? My 2012 CM 47k miles is doing the same thing. Cannot find the problem and very reluctant to let someone else work on it for me.

8. Oct 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    rocks860

rocks860 New Member

Member:
    I did two things, and I wish I had tested each at a time.
    I Replaced the compressor and same symptoms appeared.
    O did not know how much oil was in it, so I had to remove it and check.
    I bought the compressor from eBay and it said that it comes with 4oz of oil and only needed 2.
    When I checked it had around 2, but at the same time I removed the control panel and cleaned it.
    Put it back together and worked great.

So I am not sure If the issue was the control panel or not, since I did not do anything else with the new compressor I just I installed.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Oct 11, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    NTROUBLEWXOE

NTROUBLEWXOE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ZACK
    Vehicle:
    2012 CREW SC
    Thanks for the reply. I will try the control panel. Everything on the compressor checks ok, the clutch and the speed sensor.

Ilgie likes this.
  10. Jul 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM
    Ilgie

Ilgie New Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Limited 5.7 4x4
    What was the outcome of cleaning the control panel? I’m currently going through the same issue with my truck. I just replaced the A/C compressor, turns on for a few seconds then clicks off and light flashes.

My mechanic did have to use the relay from the tow package for the A/C system as p/o had removed it for some reason?? Would love this to be as simple as giving the control panel a deep clean…

11. Jul 1, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    audiowize

audiowize New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul B.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR-5 4x4 5.7
    Pressure switches can fail. If forcing the compressor to run magically makes your AC work, that's where I would look.

12. Jul 4, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    I didn’t watch the video above, but I had a flashing ac light problem on my 4Runner- make sure you use the correct oem relay. It looks the same, but isn’t the same as others.

Products Discussed in

To Top