1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Toyota Tundra Starter Problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by pailwriter, Nov 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

1. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    pailwriter

pailwriter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aubrey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7
    I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L that is having starter problems.

If the pickup sets for about 8 hours or longer, the starter doesn’t disengage properly.

I try starting it, and it turns the engine but the engine won’t start right away, and when I turn the key back to the “run” position, the starter keeps spinning until I turn the key to the off position.

Sometimes the starter will keep spinning until the engine starts while the key is in the “run” position. Sometimes I have to try this 2 or 3 times. When it does start, it revs up to a very high RPM for a while. Much higher than normal.

Once I get it started and drive it for a while, then turn it off, it will start right up like normal.

A work around I have found is to put the key in, turn it the run position and let it set there till it finishes with all 5 dings (those little bell/chime noises that all cars do) then I give it just little gas (mash the gas pedal) as I start it.

I also pulled the negative battery cable off for about 45 minutes to reset the computer. This helped with the above “delay” trick and it no longer revs up real high.

However, this is a “work-around”, and I would really like to solve the real problem.

The pickup is 6 years old but only has 54,000 miles on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 T-Rex Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Almost sounds fuel related. It’s not getting gas until you mash the pedal; forcing more fuel into the lines.

3. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    pailwriter

pailwriter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aubrey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7
    Thank you for your reply.
    I read about that on other forums, some said they changed the battery, fuel pump etc with no change/improvement.
    Some say the throttle body needs cleaning, but I haven't found anyone with this issue that has posted a real fix or even the reason for the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top