1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck would crank and run then die immediately

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by JK1, May 20, 2022.

1. May 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    JK1

JK1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 pickup
    2008 Tundra. Drove about 1 hour stopped to eat a bite and truck wouldn't start again. Would crank and run about 1 second and die. After sitting about 2 hours it started and I drove home about an hour. Starts fine now

2. May 21, 2022 at 7:38 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Hard to tell from limited information.

Assume battery, starting circuit is fine as it started 2 hours after no problem.

Might need to drive it and wait for it to happen again.

A few things that come to mind quickly.

Key/security issue. This would kill spark and not let it start

Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump ECU. This would not deliver fuel to allow it to start.

Next time it does it check to see if you are still getting spark or fuel. Could help narrow it down.

3. Jul 30, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    aaron800

aaron800 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    Mine does it intermittently, it will always start I just have to cycle my key after 10 seconds and try to start again and she will go. If I can run 91 octane this issue goes away. I can’t get 91 octane here now and she will have the same start issue intermittently.

4. Aug 3, 2022 at 6:22 AM
    Landodnal

Landodnal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra Limited Slate Grey 4WD
    2" Leveling Kit
    I also have an '08 and have had this issue intermittently. I've had the truck 5 years and it has happened probably around 10 times. It starts, the rpm's shoot up, as it comes back to idle, the rpm's go straight to 0 and it dies. It takes about 2 seconds. It will do the same thing 3-5 starts in a row even if I give it a bunch of gas. The gas peddle will keep it running at higher rpm's, but as soon as I let off the gas pedal, it immediately dies. If I just let it sit for 5-10 minutes, it then starts just fine. It never has any dash lights associated with it and everything works just fine after it starts. My goal was to get a good video next time it happened so guys on here can compare symptoms, but it has only happened once since I decided to take video, and I took a picture instead of a video by accident. I suggest the same for you. Next time it happens (if it happens), see if you can get a good video of your dash on startup.

I've done some research on this issue and unfortunately I haven't found any definitive answers or fixes. I will say that about 2 months ago, I got the dreaded but common P2441 code. My secondary air intake valve was stuck closed. I replaced the valve. Since changing the valve, I have NOT had the starting problem. I have no idea if these issues are related. It seems like the intake valve could maybe cause a startup issue, but who knows. If the starting problem never happens again, I'll probably associate it with the intake valve. But it's only been 2 months since I replaced it. We'll see over the next year if it happens again. If it does happen, I'll try again to get a good video and post something on here.

Good luck. If your problem is the same as mine, it's not the worst thing in the world. It only happens a few times a year. The worst part is the embarrassment when it happens in a public place.

5. Aug 3, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    aaron800

aaron800 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    I have the bypass kit on mine. I cleaned the terminals up on my battery really well and coated it with acf50 and has been starting perfectly now, no bad starts lately.

6. Aug 3, 2022 at 1:24 PM
    chrisf111

chrisf111 New Member

Member:

This is exactly what I've experienced too. It never threw a code though. Best I could figure it was due to low battery voltage for me, attaching some jumper cables let it start up again, each time. Also each time it happened was after extended times parked with radio or lights on.

Landodnal[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top