1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 tundra 5.7 sets p0352,p0353,p0355,p0358 code when put in reverse

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by oksailor, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    oksailor

oksailor [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra dbl-cab long bed 4x4
    none
    Hello, I'm new to the forum.
    I have a relatively unmodified 2008 Tundra double cab long bed 4x4 5.7 liter and it's giving me some interesting issues. The truck will run fine with no codes or misfires for days as long as I don't put it into reverse. When I do put it into reverse, it starts for misfire and sets the P0352, P0353, P0355, and P0358 ignition codes. it sets the engine light, the Lo4 light and the traction control light and the VSC light as well.
    I just put all new spark plugs and replaced / checked coils on these cylinders and no change.
    If i clear the codes with the engine off and then restart the issue and misfire goes away and does not return until the next time I put it into reverse. If I do not stop and clear the codes, the misfire, codes and lights remain on.
    I don't have any LED lights. I've checked the fuses and all appear good. Ground strap is good.
    I'm inclined to think it is the gear position sensor shorting or ? but shifting, starting in park and neutral and transmission indicators PRD123 are lit normally.
    I just got this truck last month and I've just been resetting and resetting but would like any ideas on how or where to go with this.
    Thanks much
    Mark

2. Jul 14, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Ground cable on the Reverse sensor may be damaged somewhere between the sensor and the harness.... You may need to do some digging to see if any rodents have climbed in there and snacked on any insulation... Sounds like wiring issue, so you may need to do a thorough look through in the wiring..

oksailor[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    oksailor

oksailor [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra dbl-cab long bed 4x4
    none
    Thanks, I took the sensor off completely tonight. no issues found action is smooth and sprayed with de-oxit (a contact cleaner). reinstalled did not help, in fact made the issue happen all the time. So It's going into the shop tomorrow for the professionals to give it a try. totally bizarre how putting you truck into reverse could set ignition codes

4. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    sounds like you may have been close to the issue, since you triggered it all the time with the contact cleaner.

5. Jan 2, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    Tundrain4low

Tundrain4low New Member

Member:
    oksailr, I happen to be having a similar issue. Did the professionals find the problem and solution?

6. Jan 4, 2022 at 3:52 AM
    FWD Tundra

FWD Tundra New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4WD Double Cab
    These lights will normally come on when the check engine light comes on. These systems are disabled when the check engine light comes on and will extinguish when the CEL is reset and or problem is fixed and reset.
    I would say replace the switch. There must be something going bad inside of that switch. And or wires going into the switch may be loose or corroded.

Any findings you can give us for the future?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  7. Jan 4, 2022 at 5:03 AM
    Tundrain4low

Tundrain4low New Member

Member:
    My lights illuminated as I was on the gas and went over some ripples in the pavement. I only had the P0355 code but all the same lights as mentioned above. I found that when I changed spark plugs last month I didn't fully seat the connector to the coil. It was an easy fix for me.

8. Jan 4, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    FWD Tundra

FWD Tundra New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4WD Double Cab
    OK glad you found a fix and you are back on the road with no issues!

Products Discussed in

To Top