1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Transfer case noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Dr_Al, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Hello, long time reader who finally has a reason to post.

I recently had to retire my 2000 Tundra thanks to the salt they use around here and picked up a used 2008 double cab with 140k miles that lived it's while life in the south (no rust). I got it for a good price because there's a noise when in 4wd. Sounds like something rubbing (sort of). It only does it when accelerating or decelerating and above about 20 mph. I assumed it was the transfer case, possibly a bearing going bad (or if they use one, the chain).

When up on my lift it's not under load so it doesn't make any noise. When in 2wd if I turn the front drive shaft it doesn't feel smooth, I would say kind of like gears not meshing correctly. I checked the oil in the transfer case and it looks fine. My next step is to remove the driveshaft to eliminate the front diff. It shifts in and out of 4wd fine.

I've done some reading and most everything seams to be related to the actuator. I was hoping for someone might have a suggestion or two. I couldn't find much in the way of parts to repair the transfer case, just seals and bearings. There's a couple local salvage yards that have replacements with under 100k miles for $250 or so. I don't mind spending the money and then taking mine apart at my leisure as long as it is the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top