1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 TOYOTA TUNDRA IS HAVING ISSUES

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by stucker69, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Apr 16, 2021 at 12:56 AM
    stucker69

stucker69 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello from Texas!! I am new to this group and I hope that someone can help me. I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra that acts like its starving for fuel. It will turn over but it will not start. I did get it to start and run the other day for a minute or two and then it died. The truck is not throwing any codes and the engine light is on. My son is a mechanic but he deals mainly with diesel's. He also lives a good distance away from me. So far he has changed the fuel pump, spark plugs and changed the oil. He also cleaned the injectors, changed the fuel pump fuse and put Seafoam in the fuel tank. Nothing seems to be helping and I'm a single mom and do not have the money to take it to a dealership. Does anyone have any suggestions? I ordered a fuel pump relay tonight but beyond that I'm at a loss. All help is appreciated.

2. Apr 16, 2021 at 2:50 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    Get the battery tested. Try your other key...i had a key lose the alarm sync stuff and it was not starting in my 07.

3. Apr 16, 2021 at 4:56 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I would also go with battery. If you havent changed the battery and you get it to turn on, watch the idle, if it starts dropping below 500 rpm give it a little gas and bring it up to 1k or 1.5k rpm for about minute or 2. Let the accelerator go slowly and let the idle drop to 500, sometimes it will catch the idle by itself and go back up to 1k or between at the 700 mark. If it doesn't rev it up to 1.5k again for a few more minutes. It will usually recharge the battery and will start idling normally again.

4. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:10 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Welcome to Tundras.com from the Hill Country.

If the light is the image of a motor with "CHECK" underneath, that is your "malfunction indicator light". That light is telling you there's a problem if it's ON with the engine running. The MIL light should be ON during the start cycle, but only to tell you the bulb is not burned out. There should be codes, but they may be recorded in the ECU history.

You may get bigger bang from your buck spending it on professional diagnosis (Toyota dealer) instead of parts.

Is your truck a 5.7L Flex Fuel model?

Does your truck have an aftermarket remote start or other aftermarket electronic modifications installed?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  5. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 didn't come with Flex fuel, that was for the 2010+ with the semi face lift, and SR grade and other options.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  6. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Lucky for the OP.

It's not the battery. If the engine cranks, and starts, it's not the battery. Universal knowledge across all automotive brands, models, and years.

7. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    My '07 had a similar problem when I first bought it, the problem was a fuel pump going out and the chipped key. Both were replaced, and I haven't had a problem since.

8. Apr 16, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Subjective.... mine crank, starts and dies.. will stall by driving... usually my battery is dying... only truck I've had charging issues with... I've been dealing with this for over a decade... just experience, since she's also already replaced the fuel pump...

Rex Kramer likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Agreed... the more these vehicles rely on electronics the healthier your battery and alternator need to be.

MTRock and blackdemon_tt[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top