1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 toyota tundra, adventures in long term ownership and a question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by 7skulls, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    7skulls

7skulls [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all,
    I am new here and would like to relate the story of my truck to you all and ask your opinions. I bought my truck new (green double cab, 5.7, 4x4, trd) in 2008. This was my first toyota (I have since bought a 2014 scion frs) and I paid 46 000 tax incl (can). The first 5 years were great, no problems, superb in winter with a set of blizzaks and 16 l/100km average (14.7 miles/gallon). Right now, she stands at 171 000km (106 000 miles) on the odometer. Still love that big V-8 on the highway.
    In the first 5 years, the truck really only went back to the garage for routine maintenance. Had a wiring harness chaff through. Lucky, it was a small one and only cost me $200. In year 6, a rear wheel bearing went out and a rear wheel speed sensor broke. $1800 and 2 weeks later, I had the truck back. The following year, the exhaust pipe fell off on the highway. Rusted through right behind the muffler. A couple of hundred bucks to the local muffler shop and I was back on the road. Another year goes by, I fly back from work and go to start my truck at the airport parking lot. The alternator was seized. A week later, $1200 for a new alternator install and $800 for a rental, I had my truck back. Another year rolls by and I see that the antifreeze level is dropping. A quick look found that my rad was leaking. $300 for a new rad, which I put in myself. Then this summer, the front diff actuator went out. Expense on that one wasn't too bad. In between these breakdowns, I've averaged new pads and rotors every 2-3 years as well as 2 new front callipers.
    Now, I still love my truck and since the value had bottomed out ($8000) I plan on riding her into the ground. My question is: Have I had a typical tundra experience?
    If/when, my truck does die, those new tacos look nice but I don't know if I could ever go back to toyota expecting to keep it for the long term. (The scion is more subaru than toyota.)

2. Oct 10, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    My 07 with 93k+ has had none of your issues yet.

3. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    32vsnake

32vsnake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC Limited
    My 08 has been in the family since new. Truck has had regular servicing since day one and the only unexpected issue so far has been the water pump at around 110,000 km. Truck now sits at 132,000 km, looks and runs damn near like new.

4. Oct 10, 2018 at 9:51 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    I don't think that's abnormal costs. Still cheaper than a car payment.

I'm about 120k. I just made a 2k mile trip last week and planning a 3k trip next months.

You will hate a 3rd Gen Tacoma after experiencing the Tundrs power.

Watt maker and TheBeast like this.
  5. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    7skulls

7skulls [OP] New Member

Member:
    Almost forgot... AIPs went out at 120 000km. Repaired under toyota warranty thankfully. Also add a rear diff. seal when the front diff actuator went.
    I have test driven the 3rd gen taco and am willing to trade (alot) less power for better mpg. Hell, I've even cross shopped a mazda cx-3 and a nissan titan, just thinking ahead since I am wary of another long term toyota. Right now, I am at about $12 000 in repair cost. It's not even the money so much as waiting for an appointment at the dealer. A 2 or 3 week delay for a repair isn't fun.

6. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    parker44

parker44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra - Desert Sand Mica
    My 2008 has 138k on it and I fortunately have not had any of those big repairs. I think you just got a "bad" one.

7skulls[OP] and Watt maker like this.
  7. Oct 12, 2018 at 1:28 AM
    mnm

mnm Old Guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Smithfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited 4x4 DC
    123k on my 2008 and nothing but regular maintenance items done...hope you find a great vehicle soon.

Watt maker likes this.
  8. Oct 12, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    7skulls

7skulls [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought lack of use might have caused some of my issues but seeing tundras here the same year with fewer kms, it doesn't seem like it. Forgot to add that the muffler split open.
    For the high mileage guys or those who live with salt in the winter, watch that rear diff. vent. It will corrode and stop working. Had mine replaced the last dealer visit. Secondly, no one can believe the great condition of my frame. I had the truck done with rust proofing at the dealer before purchase. Every year in the spring, I crawl underneath the truck, with the front tires on ramps, and hose off underneath and wash out the frame rails, getting all that saltly sand from the highway out of there. Then a through application of green can Rust Check. It really works. On the body, I had some rust starting on the door sills and above the windshield due to rock chips. Nothing beyond surface rust but something to look at and catch in time.

9. Oct 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    Diver Dee

Diver Dee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DEE
    Gun Barrel city Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 and 2019 Tundra
    I ALSO BOUGHT MY FIRST TUNDRA IN '08 AND THE TRUCK HAS BEEN SO GOOD I KEPT IT AND GOT A NEW ONE.
    CHANGED THE OIL REGULARLY AND HAVE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. 145,000 MILES ON SAME BRAKE PADS! SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR ISSUES THOUGH.

7skulls[OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 5, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    vawildtundra

vawildtundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2008 Gold Tundra
    6” suspension lift, 2” body lift. 18” Rockstars wrapped in 35” Nitto Trail Grapplers
    My 08 runs like a champ. I am looking hard at the new Jeep Wranglers but am struggling with letting my Tundra go.

11. Nov 5, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    7skulls

7skulls [OP] New Member

Member:
    Last week I had the opportunity to trade my truck and get a new 2018 tundra (same spec as mine,4x4, trd, dbl cab) for $37 000 on the road. $8000 off and $8500 for my trade. After all that's happened with my truck, I just couldn't do it.

12. Nov 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    Maybe a bit more issues than most, but seeing as you're from the great white north and probably have some rougher road conditions in the winter than most of us, I'd say your truck is holding up great.

Watt maker likes this.
  13. Nov 5, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I hate to say it but most of what you've experienced is living in the salt belt. $1800 for a rear wheel bearing and sensor sounds like a LOT to me. Unless the exhaust is stainless it's going to need replacing. The 4wd actuators are a known problem. The road salt eventually gets inside them. Living in the salt belt to I can feel your pain. As for the rear axle breather simply twisting it every so often will keep it from corroding. Another option is to pull the sheet metal cap off of it and secure a rubber hose to it running up to the frame with a loop in the hose to prevent water from getting in it. My wife had a SantaFe that had the alternator seize. At first I thought it was the starter as it wouldn't turn over. It happened after it had been sitting for a few weeks not long after the state started using brine to melt snow off the roads.

14. Nov 6, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    7skulls

7skulls [OP] New Member

Member:
    No doubt salt hasn't helped. The exhaust is fine but the welds aren't. That's where it rusted. The muffler split from the inside as the baffles rusted out along with the spot welds. As for the alternator, its location down under the V doesn't help. The wheel bearing and sensor includes a week of diagnostic work that went all the way to the shop foreman as they figured out what was wrong. $12 000 in repairs is 2 times what we have spent on other 10 year vehicles we have had. If the AIP wasn't covered that would be at least $4000 more. If my truck went down tomorrow, I would try a tacoma. Can't lie though, if we didn't already have a new ridgeline in the family, I'd have a black edition.

15. Nov 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I purchased my '07 a little over a year ago, it had 270k undocumented miles on it when I drove it home. I have spent a few thousand setting it up the way I want it, and the only failures I have experienced are the fuel pump and drive shaft/rear transmission seal. The truck has a little more than 280k today, and it is reliably solid.

Products Discussed in

To Top