1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Starting Problems-Help!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Gwpandco, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Dec 20, 2017 at 10:29 PM
    Gwpandco

Gwpandco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Over the past several years, I have on random occasion experienced this; get into the truck, usually the key is in the ignition, turn the key, truck starts normal and immediately dies like there is a fuel problem. Further efforts to start result in the truck cranking but not firing. Occasionally after you release the key...the starter will remain ingaged cranking (without even touching the key) until you turn the key back counter clockwise to the off position. With continuing constant effort after 3-5 min (25-100) tries the truck will just as randomly start right up normally and run great for month, week, day, without incident. Over the past several weeks it has become much more frequent happening 3-4 times in a couple of days. I have tried to detect any pattern but there is none. I purchased truck new in 2008 (130k miles) I drive and use daily in my Contracting business, stop and go local driving. It has been dealer serviced regularly, it will randomly happen anywhere, summer or winter, parked level or sloped. I can't remember it happening ever on a cold crank first thing in the morning, but generally after the truck has been in use but been parked for a bit. It has never left me stranded but I have been late and mad a time or too. Two Toyota dealerships and general auto repair shop have looked at it and I have it at a dealership now. Because it runs and acts great when I drive over, they have been unable to get codes or diagnostics. They are skilled technicians not mechanics. I know from forums, YouTube etc. others have described this exact same same problem...I just haven't found any follow up after they got it correct. I am lookin for the one owner that knows exactly what I am talking about....the completely radom appearance of a gremlin that takes possession of your ignition/starter just for the hell of it, who leaves as randomly as it comes. 99.7% trouble free truck. Just getting tired of telling the helpful Chevy owner standing jumper cables in hand.... "thank-you sir, it's got a great battery and it's a Toyota that will start-up just fine in a minutes". Seriously, if there is anyone with a cure for this problem....please share, before the dealership starts replacing perfectly good parts. I will try to keep this updated because I know there are others-Gwp

2. Dec 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM
    mnm

mnm Old Guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Smithfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited 4x4 DC
    My son's car acted the same way and he ended up changing out the fuel pump. Problem was intermittent but did gradually get worse. Once started, it ran perfect until that next random episode of not starting but just engine turning over. He would turn ignition switch back off, wait a minute and try again and it would start and run like nothing was wrong.

Onrie likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2017 at 2:21 AM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    I had a weird problem kinda like what your describing on my first gen. It ended up being that the throttle body just needed cleaned out.

4. Oct 3, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    Mattwasatch

Mattwasatch New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited Crew Max
    GWP were you ever able to figure this out? I’ve got the same issues with my 2007 and I’d love to know.
    Thanks

5. Oct 15, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    Trident

Trident New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra DC 4X4
    My 2007 does something similar and from my research I think it's an anti-theft problem. I keep the brown (valet) key in my truck and when an episode happens I grab it and it starts my truck fine every time without fail. Happens maybe once every 3-4 months.

Products Discussed in

To Top