1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007-2021 Shifter Squeak Solved *pics*

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by TundraCoast, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Aug 26, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    TundraCoast

TundraCoast [OP] Member In Good Standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    1794 on the inside - PRO on the outside
    Hope this helps fellow Tundra owners that have been annoyed by the constant shifter squeak that seems to be reoccurring on the 2007-2020 Tundras. My 2007 Limited had the shifter squeak and just recently my 2017 1794 started doing and it drove me nuts. Both trucks are detailed and immaculate, nothing ever spilled down the shifter or dirt impeded in the shifter.

As with most squeak and rattle issues, my Toyota dealer was complelty worthless. Took me 2 trips to the dealer for them to tell me they "lubed the sifter" problem solved. As I drove off the squeak is still there.

Helpful tip, since I tried this several times as did the mechanic at my Toyota dealer, no matter how much lubricant is sprayed via straw down your sifter column you won't quiet this squeak. I ended up cleaning all that lube up once I removed the console and got to the shifter assembly :(

The console removal step by step is outlined here and other forms including YouTube vids. Its pretty straight forward, the process is relatively easy mainly prying the push-clips free and a phillips head driver for a few screws.

Once you have the console removed and have full access to the shifter assembly, on the back side you will see a metal tab located by a single Phillips screw. This metal tab where is meets the plastic on the shifter is the culprit of that annoying squeak.

IMG_3865.jpg

The purpose of this metal tab piece IMO is debatable. If you turn your ignition key to "accessory" put your foot on the brake pedal, you can watch the shifter move through its positions and see this part in action. It appears that it is intended to add resistance to the shift lever actuation. In the above pic I have the set screw almost out, I removed the metal tab completely then shifted back through the gears there is almost no noticeable difference with the piece removed.

IMG_3864.jpg
    This angle shows clearly the metal tab and the plastic notches on the shifter assembly. The factory grease works its way out of the grooved notches bare metal on dry plastic create the squeak. You can use heavy grease and a q-tip to apply liberally to the plastic notches. Secondarily you can judge for yourself the relevance of the metal tab and decide if you want to leave this part off.

Hope this helps others, the removal, reinstall and fix took under and hour and was completely satisfying.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    bulldog93, dofu, alexdfw and 3 others like this.
  2. May 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    Slick McFavorite

Slick McFavorite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra Platinum
    I'm going in! Thanks for this thread TC. This squeaking has to go.

SomeGuy4 likes this.
  3. May 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    Post to this thread if you have questions. Once you have the shifter cover assembly removed, its even more apparent where the squeak is coming from if you sit in the drivers seat with the ignition turned to position II foot on the brake move the shifter from park to drive.

4. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    I need to do this

5. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    Link how to remove the plastic and stuff to get to this area?

6. Jun 14, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    YouTube has a few videos of console removals to access the audio head unit which requires the steps needed to remove the main console. Here are the basics, twist off the shifter handle, open the center console lid, with a pry tool you can lift the main console it’s held in place by push-clips, remove the console. The shifter film is held in place by a clear plastic shroud there are (4) tabs, use a small flat head to release those, remove the shifter film. There are (4) phillips screws that hold the shifter body, remove shifter body. At this point if you wiggle the shifter lever you will hear the annoying squeak loud and clear, on the base of the shifter at the rear is the single phillips screw with the metal tab, remove that and enjoy the silence. Reverse the above to put everything back together.

dofu likes this.
  7. Jul 8, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    Slick McFavorite

Slick McFavorite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra Platinum
    I decided to bang this out over the weekend. Should have done it months ago as it was very quick and simple. Funny thing is, I actually never could figure out how to take the shifter body off. Couldnt find all the screws. It didnt matter though I could see the screw that holds the black metal tab.

I got my screwdriver in there and loosened it and tried to shift. Sure as hell that was the cause of the squeak as it was suddenly gone. Here's the thing though. I tightened the screw back and the squeak was still gone. So I just got a q-tip in there and regreased the tab and closed it back up (there was a good amount of lube in there still actually).

I dont know what started the tab to squeak in the first place. Maybe it had some dirt or some such stuck in there, not sure. Either way it's now completely silent and the stock tension Toyota intended to be there remains. We'll see how many more years I get out of it before I have to repeat. Thanks again for the insight TundraCoast!

dofu likes this.
  8. Jul 8, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    Nice work Tyler, update back on how the re-grease holds up.

9. Aug 30, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    4X4XTRD

4X4XTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    TRD dual exhaust, TRD cold air intake, TRD rear sway bar, Firestone airbags
    TundraCoast,

Thank you for taking the time to share this solution, posting pictures, etc. I have taken apart my center console and gear selector three previous times and could not solve the squeak.

Last night, I came across your post and was so excited to find out what the actual issue was, I stopped cooking dinner and went out to the garage and fixed it! (I took my beer with me).

I started working on trucks well before the internet offered all of us the ability to find solutions to problems like this. It was so satisfying to be able to use your post/photos that it caused me to sign up as a Tundras.com member this morning so I could start sharing solutions to other issues I have solved.

Thank you for the time that you put into sharing this solution. I am actually looking forward to putting my truck into gear this morning!

Party on,

4X4XTRD

dofu, TundraCoast[OP] and Geo4x4 like this.
  10. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    4x4xPro,

Glad that helped you out, I borrowed a friends Tundra a while back (2015 limited) and his had the exact squeak noise. I fixed it while I had his truck when I gave his truck back I waited from him to say something....he called me the next day and was blown away, he said “that always bugged me but i figured that was just how the shifter sounded”

11. Oct 24, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    Jtundra81

Jtundra81 Just a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 cement tundra crewmax
    So Since a month , my 19 developed a squeaky sound in the center console and my OCD kicks in and drive me crazy , as soon as a move the column shifter or even push on the console it would squeak, also squeak while driving. found your thread and wanted to give it a try , went just now to my garage and popped the center console open , moved the shifter but no sound , also couldn't find the screw from your screen shot . I figured it must be coming from the cover rubbing somewhere and it turned to be right were the attached screen shot pointing , I end up putting a tape where the cover sits and voila , it was fixed , can't tell you how Happy I am

0E1F8C18-FDE3-43A2-9868-01D6091D2065.jpg

NightShadeTundra2021 likes this.
  12. Nov 21, 2022 at 1:55 PM
    Cort100

Cort100 New Member

Member:
    The original message in this thread was very helpful. I lived with the squeak for years before fixing it.

A stubby philips screwdriver will remove the screw from the metal squeaker for reapplying grease.
    4B761DBA-68CF-48A2-9940-5423BA2A0DA6.jpg

37B42E25-EA10-4082-98A0-60BDE1DDC7AB.jpg

TundraCoast[OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 21, 2022 at 3:28 PM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    Nice work around & time saver not having to remove the shifter console to get to the tab.

Suprises me that more guys don’t have this issue and or have chinned in. I’ve been in several fiends Tundras (including my 2) and they all have he shifter squeak.

Cort100[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    dofu

dofu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Thank you so much for posting! This squeek has been driving me crazy the last few years.

15. Jul 3, 2023 at 10:34 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    I have never heard mine squeak but it is usually loud in my drivers seat and with my tinnitus I may just be missing it. However if it did squeak I believe my wife would have let me know immediately

16. Jul 3, 2023 at 10:50 AM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    Tile updated to include all Gen 2 and Gen 2.5
    years. I helped a friend with a 21’ he had the same squeak.

17. Jul 15, 2023 at 11:37 AM
    PadreMC

PadreMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra 4x4 Limited CrewMax Nightshade Edition MGM
    In attempting to fix the squeak on my 2021 Tundra I broke the clear plastic shroud/diffuser under the gear indicator assembly. Does anyone know the part number for the clear plastic shroud/diffuser or the part number for the part that includes the clear plastic shroud/diffuser? I worked with Sparks Parts, and they recommended I order 35971-0C020 (HOUSING, POSITION INDICATOR) which is the gear indicator assembly, but the clear plastic piece was not included.

18. Jul 15, 2023 at 11:43 AM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    Check eBay, you might have luck with a dismantler getting that part by itself it or the full assembly for a fraction of the price.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Jul 15, 2023 at 12:30 PM
    PadreMC

PadreMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks TundraCoast. One other question...I'm having trouble locating the four phillips screws that hold the shifter body that need to be removed to get to that metal tab where it meets the plastic on the shifter. Any tips as far as where those are located? I don't need to remove the large console box do I?

20. Jul 15, 2023 at 12:43 PM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    No you don’t have to remove the center console box. The (4) screws are black, there are 2 front and 2 back on the shifter console.

630DFEE8-F341-447B-93DC-2643C3EE14A0.jpg
    Look at the phillips screw circled the screws are in a box pattern around the perimeter, once you look closely again you will see them. Remove those and the whole assembly will lift up.

21. Jul 15, 2023 at 12:51 PM
    PadreMC

PadreMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again. I'll take a look. Did you end up just lubing the metal tab where it meets the plastic or did you remove the metal tab completely? If you removed the metal tab completely, were there any issues with not having it installed or differences in tension when shifting gears?

22. Jul 15, 2023 at 12:58 PM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    No prob, the squeak is total BS Toyota could have fixed at no cost with diff lube or a coating on the metal. The fact that it’s a reoccurring issue from 2007-2021 is ridiculous. I had the same issue now on 3 Tundras. I took the tab off and left it off and can not detect the slightest difference. The first time I did it on my early tundra I lubed it and it came back some months later. Some will argue it’s there for a reason to each their own. I tested it with and without the tab and it’s the same.

23. Jul 15, 2023 at 1:06 PM
    PadreMC

PadreMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm leaning towards removing the metal tab as I don't want to be in the same place later on and have to go thru the disassembly again.

CMikeB likes this.
  24. Jul 15, 2023 at 7:27 PM
    PadreMC

PadreMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TundraCoast, I must be blind. Here's another pic shot straight overhead. I only see two Phillips screws. One on the bottom left and one on the middle right. Can you point out where the other two should be? Thanks.

PXL_20230716_021336027.jpg

25. Jul 16, 2023 at 1:13 PM
    TundraCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    Give this post a closer look, this owner was able to get to the metal tab without removing he shifter console.

26. Jul 16, 2023 at 5:28 PM
    PadreMC

PadreMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your help. After not being able to locate the other two screws or the metal tab I took a closer look at where the squeak is coming from, and it sounds like mine is coming from inside the shifter assembly itself...possibly from the metal shift post rubbing against the various plastic parts inside. I can see some white lithium grease inside the assembly on those various plastic parts so I'm going to try spraying additional grease inside the shifter assembly and go from there.

Products Discussed in

To Top