1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Tundra starts and shuts off 2 seconds later

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Dook55, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Sep 15, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    Dook55

Dook55 [OP] New Member

Member:
    My dog alerted me and I found a packrat under the hood of my 2006 V8 4x4 regular cab Tundra this morning and used brakleen to herd it into my dog's mouth, but not before the rat did some damage to my wiring. In several places under the hood I've found where she chewed plastic covering off the wiring harnesses, but I didn't find any actual wire insulation chewed....not yet anyway. Nothing down to bare copper anywhere.
    It starts up every time, but shuts down 2 seconds later. The only way I can keep it running is by pushing the accelerator enough to maintain 3000+ RPM.
    I can't find any indication what or where the problem is, but don't know what to look for. I'm pretty handy mechanically but a total zero when it comes to electronics.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. Sep 15, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    Dook55

Dook55 [OP] New Member

Member:
    OK, I think I found the problem. She chewed a wire in two that went to the 2 wire module on top of the right front fenderwell. I spliced it back together, re-booted the battery and it seems to work fine now.

3. Sep 15, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    PenderBen

PenderBen Forum lurker…

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Any chance it got into the air filter housing? Maybe it started to nest in there and blocked things up, I’ve had mice do that and pack a lot of debris in there. Are there any fault codes?

Dook55[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 15, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    PenderBen

PenderBen Forum lurker…

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Never mind, sounds like you’ve got it :)

Dook55[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 15, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Next step, come up with a deterrent to keep that little shit away from your truck. Dryer sheets, mothballs, peppermint oil or specific deterrent sprays.

Dook55[OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 15, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    Dook55

Dook55 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks!
    I'll try mothballs under the hood. I do use peppermint oil in the interior but it doesn't always work, they get into my Cherokee anyway. The Tundra cab is secure enough to keep them out. That was the third packrat old Blue killed in the last month.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 15, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Good luck man. That’s gotta be the one of the worst things to have to deal with. You do your best to take care of your truck and do all the maintenance. Then something completely out of your control comes and chews up your wires. I consider it worse than having a car accident or some uncontrolled act of nature like hail. Little bastards!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    GODZILLA and Dook55[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Sep 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    MS22

MS22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra 4x4
    I boiled up a bunch of diced Jalapoes and basically any other type of hot pepper you can find and add alot of cayenne pepper. Strain it and dump the juice in a spray bottle and spray engine bay and around your truck. Works awesome well for me it does. Good Luck

Dook55[OP] and 15whtrd like this.
  9. Sep 15, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    What a great idea! Just be careful when you’re working on your truck you don’t rub your eyes!

MS22[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 15, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Also to add to your idea, maybe using some type of oil with it so it stays on everything for longer. Chop up all the peppers and mash it with a light automotive oil.

MS22[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 15, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    DireWolf

DireWolf The Dark Lord - Tundra Owner

Member:
    North East Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Dark Gray Tundra SR5 (MGM)
    none
    This may sound stupid but in an F 150 i had that with a spare key i had that had no chip in it, it opened door fine would start the truck and then die.

Filthyphil and Dook55[OP] like this.
  12. Sep 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it definitely needs to chip in the key to keep the antitheft unlocked.

Dook55[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top