1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Tundra 4X4 won't engage into 4WD for first time in 2020.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tundrarandy, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Dec 15, 2020 at 2:06 PM
    Tundrarandy

Tundrarandy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra crew cab TRD 4wd
    2.5" lift, 285/75/16 tires
    I have a 2006 4X4 TRD that I bought new back in 12/06. It has about 53,500 miles on it bacause I drive my company work truck weekdays and weekends often drive my wife's SUV when we're together. It has a 2" lift and 285 tires now. I've been doing the Mojave Road trail every year I can with a mixed group of 4x4s and have never had a problem until 12/4,5,6, 2020. We all aired down tires before going far off road, although my 285/75/16Es are another issue, too stiff for a light truck!
    After driving a while on the trail, we dropped into a soft sand wash that I made fine last year but drier and softer this year. Put it into 4hi and dash light flashes.
    I realize I'm not in 4wd when I start getting stuck. Tried back and forth, neutral etc trying to engage hi and then low. I ended up with both hi and lo flashing in both places, lower dash center buttons and in instrument cluster left of speedo. Fortunately a friend with his modified Tacoma pulled me about about 1/10th mile, where we reached firmer ground and I was fine on my own. I drove the entire trail in from there in 2wd, having to try some uphill areas a couple times. The hi and low lights flashing the whole time. My Tacoma friend and a Rubicon friend said very possibly a solenoid on the side of the transfer case is likely my problem, although not absolutely sure.
    So here I am a new member of your group forum with one major issue and many questions in the future. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has either experienced this same issue or has knowledge in regards to it. I prefer not to take it to a shop if I can do it myself. Thanks in advance for any information or input you may have.

YardBird likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
  3. Dec 15, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Welcome from the wet side of WA.

Unfortunately, can't offer any help except that someone should be along that can...

Products Discussed in

To Top