1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Phantom Gray DC X-SP Build and Maintenance Log (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (2000-2006)' started by Openbaffle, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Sep 12, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    Openbaffle

Openbaffle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Phantom Gray Tundra X-SP DC
    The goal of this was to consolidate my build notes and plans, progress on upgrades and documentation of maintenance (scheduled and unscheduled) in a single thread.

I've enjoyed reading through all of the other build threads and learned a lot in the process.

Date: 9/12/2021 Mileage: 191XXX --
    IMG_5774.jpg

Getting the truck:

In June 2019, I had been casually looking for a truck. I hadn't really dug deep into the FGTs yet, and how reliable, perfectly-sized and capable they were.

I was driving a 2008 C300 at the time and wanted something bigger and more useful. I knew I wanted a Toyota or Honda and if I were going to get a truck, I wanted it to be a full-size one and a body-on-frame, so that meant either a first or second-gen Tundra.

I sold the C300 locally and around the same time, this 2006 Phantom Gray Tundra X-SP showed up on Facebook marketplace. It was a very clean 2-owner NC truck. The first owner had it for the bulk of its life and maintained it at the dealership. I had it inspected, made an offer and it was mine.

Date: June 19, 2021 Mileage: 176120 --
    This is when I purchased it.
    00H0H_iHyDAGS3SHy_1200x900.jpg 00l0l_UuvJQExhAX_1200x900.jpg 00m0m_5akkkF1Km5A_1200x900.jpg 00p0p_acvVigX3w7p_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_5CTrkVPqEFl_1200x900.jpg 00x0x_beb9aOb1srx_1200x900.jpg 01414_9TYbcCaOrBq_1200x900.jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.03.24 PM.jpg

Interestingly this was pretty much stock off the lot in '06. The X-SP dealer package listed on the window sticker adds the 20" BBS wheels, side steps, leather seats, chrome exhaust and woodgrain trim. It replaces the stock tire and wheel size and amusingly reduces the load carrying capacity by a very specific 149 lbs.
    IMG_5886.jpg IMG_5887.jpg
    Either the first or second owner did a couple of other items that I plan on fixing/changing/updating in the future. They put on 275/55R20s, which is slightly larger than the X-SP spec'd tires.

They also added a 2" leveling kit to the front. At some point non-OE front shocks and springs were added, which I'd like to replace. An aftermarket stereo and backup camera was also added and I almost immediately ordered another aftermarket stereo that supported CarPlay. They half-replaced some of the OE light bulbs with LEDs, and I spent the good part of summer 2021 getting all of my lights sorted, matching color temperatures, playing around with LED headlights and mini-projectors, baking my headlights open to remove the halogen reflector and finally deciding to get full-blown LED retrofits (audio and lighting covered in another post).

As far as what the pre-purchase inspection showed, it wasn't anything substantial:
    • Headlamps hazed
    • Windshield star
    • Low PS fluid
    • Dirty air filter
    • Pressure switch freon leak
    • LF lower ball joint cotter pin missing
    • Wheels rub UCA when lifted due to leveling kit and larger tires
    • Oil leak from front upper engine area
    • trans and diff service?
    • Both outside mirrors loose
    Prior to me purchasing it, the previous owner had done the timing belt/water pump service. I've got a receipt from that at 165k and the Toyota maintenance book has entries until 143k, so it had pretty much been getting scheduled maintenance even though I don't have detailed receipts for all of it.
    IMG_5885.jpg

Date: Summer 2019 Mileage: 176XXX-177XXX --

Initial work.

After purchasing and doing the DMV title transfer, I got to work on some of the PPI items.

Date: 2019/06/19 Mileage: 176112 --
    • Oil change
    • ATF fluid change
    • Engine air filter
    • Rotate tires
    • Door seal lubricate/window run channels
    • Rear end diff service (redline FS 57914)
    • Headlight de-hazing
    Date: 2019/07/03 Mileage: 176214 --

Unfortunately a couple weeks later the AC was running warm and having a hard time keeping up with the NC summer heat. It would be reasonably cold and then when I was at a stop light, it would warm up and just overall not be comfortable. I made a huge mistake and purchased one of those AC recharge kits from AutoZone. It made no difference and likely made things worse. I ended up paying to replace the AC compressor and condenser and flush the refrigerant and replace most of the hosing.

And even after that it still wasn't that cool. It turned out the fan clutch was not working. So had that replaced as well. Fast forward to this summer 2021, and it still never worked that well (and this was a big, unfortunate expense and one of the biggest regrets in this truck that I've done).

I happened upon a YouTube video of someone cleaning out the evap coil with no-rinse coil cleaner from the blower resistor hole. I also found out that our trucks don't have a cabin air filter. Well, I did it and now I have a cold AC... for $15. I'll likely plan on doing that yearly.

Date: 2019/07/08 Mileage: 176400 --
    Windshield replacement to get rid of the star.

Date: 2019/07/12 Mileage: 176517 --
    After the fan clutch issues, I picked up a ScanGauge II from AutoZone and wired it to the OBDII port. This has turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made for the truck. Driving and seeing the real-time gauges and being able to quickly get CEL codes has been invaluable.
    IMG_2161.jpg

Date: 2019/07/31 Mileage: 177000 --
    Added ceramic tint to the truck. Went with IRX40 for the front two doors and IRX15 for the rear two doors and sliding back window. This made a huge difference in the heat and made the truck look way better IMO.
    Here is the truck the day I brought it in to get tinted:
    IMG_2086.jpg
    And directly after:
    IMG_2295.jpg

Date: 2019/08/03 Mileage: 177020 --
    Bullet Liner day. I was a bit concerned about the drop-in plastic bedliner and rust issues so was happy to be able to get a spray-in bedliner. The drop-in wasn't in horrible shape, just wanted something a bit more rugged.
    IMG_2068.jpg IMG_5583.jpg
    I'm really happy with the way this had come out and it's aged really well in the two+ years since I got it sprayed in.

Date: 2019/09/26 Mileage: 178,344 --
    Had a CEL P0051 B2S1 code this week. Bad O2 sensor. Bank 2, sensor 1. This is the sensor ahead of the catalytic convertor on the passenger side. Got the sensor replaced and CEL went off. I asked if I should replace the other 3, and my mechanic said just do them as they fail, although I do see others have just replaced all 4 to get it done and have seen some improvements to MPG and overall performance.

Date: 2020/02/10 Mileage: 180050 --
    Oil change, tire rotation, 194 mini bulb replacement.

Date: 2020/04/09 Mileage: 181900 --
    Headlights have hazed up again not even a year after paying for them to be restored so I ordered a pair from eBay that have clear corners. The replacement headlights were less than the cost of the initial restoration, plus the clear corner headlights look better than the OE ones. Should have done this from the start.

Date: 2020/04/17 Mileage: 181910 --
    Had headlights swapped out (although now that I know how easy they are to work on, I should have never paid to have this done).

Date: 2021/02/23 Mileage: 187,019 --
    I've had intermittent issues with the ABS light coming on in the dash. It would come on, then go away, but now it's consistently on and showing a c1249 code. This code was a bit nebulous and could be a stop light switch or faulty ABS and traction actuator or perhaps a bigger issues with the ABS system. Fortunately it was just the brake light switch. So I got that fixed and an oil change at the same time.

Date: 2021/07/05 --
    Broken tail gate latch. This was an easy one for me to fix thanks to a $14 Amazon part and a 3-minute YouTube video. Tailgate back in action.

Date: 2021/07/21 Mileage: 190302 --
    Car won't start. Of course a busy day and running late. Thankfully my wife hadn't left the house yet and I jumped the truck and drove over to Advance Auto Parts. Dead battery. 15 minutes later, I am back in action.

Dates: 2021/09/04-2021/09/06 Mileage: 191,229 --
    Start of Wildpeak AT3W mileage. In the course of these three days I found a pair of 4Runner takeoff rims from a trail edition 4Runner. I literally looked at 1000+ pictures of FGTs on the web, in the Facebook group and on this forum to find a tire, wheel and paint configuration and liked either the 4Runner rims or the TRD bead lockers from the FJ Cruiser.

There was a pair of the matte gray trail edition takeoffs 20 mins from my house so I went for it and got them for a pretty reasonable price. I went right over to Discount Tire and had them put on some Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 265/70R17s, which they also had in stock. All the while I had been talking with someone that wanted to buy my other wheels and tires. On Labor Day, I drove to meet him. He loaded the 20" BBS wheels and tires into his '02 Blue AC and we parted ways.
    Went from this:
    65222315073__C1CBDE66-9D43-4441-A6A6-500A60613BDB.jpg
    To this:
    IMG_5840 (1).jpg
    The ride difference from the 20s to 17s was not subtle. I suspect I saved 10lbs per wheel in rotational weight. They are tucked in a bit more than the BBS 20s. The Wildpeaks are so nice looking. This was a nice outcome to a bunch of research. I may consider adding a 1.25" Spidertrax WHS007 spacers in the future, but I think it looks OK for now.

Date: 2021/09/07 --
    Replacement bumper ordered. Someone hit my rear bumper in a parking lot a couple of weeks ago and didn't leave a note. I decided that it's time to start deleting the rest of the chrome on the truck so I pulled the trigger on a Tough Country custom traditional rear bumper. Of all the bumpers that I've seen available for the FGTs, I think this one is one of the nicest. It looks rocks solid, understated and should protect the back end very nicely as well. It's going to be another 6 weeks before it ships to stay tuned.

Working to do list:
    • 2021/09/16: Bring truck to local suspension shop to have the LBJs and rest of suspension looked at. I want to replace the LBJs, pull out the QuickStruts and non-OE springs up front as well as remove the leveling kit and get a 5100 lift or 6112 lift (when it's back in stock). I also need to figure out what to do with the rear and make sure it's not going to sag with the added weight of the rear bumper. This work likely won't be done until early 2022. I also want to do the SuspensionMaxx Extended Sway Bar Links.
    • 2021/10/XX: Dirty Deeds 16x5 weld in exhaust should be here by now and need to have it installed and replace the stock exhaust. Super excited about this one.
    • 12-hole injectors from Dirty Deeds?
    • 2021/09/13 (See Below): Check ignition coils for cracks. Replace spark plugs. Replace ignition coils if they are cracked. Ordered 8 ignition coils. Going to replace them all.
    • BXBuilt LED headlight retrofits should be coming sometime in Oct. Get those installed. Write about LED color matching saga and BoM.
    • Lamin-x yellow fog light covers (cheap and easy and I like the look).
    • Write about TPMS delete. AIP problems.
    • Stereo setup and wiring.
    • Delete the rest of the chrome -- swap out chrome step plates. TRD grill mod would be cool. Find color-matched sequoia mirror to delete the chrome on those?
    • Update rear backup cam with one that sees in the dark better.
    • Install bumper.
    • Address cowl leak on passenger side when it rains. Likely need RTV and to re-seal everything.
    • Black weathertech matching floor mats?
    • Valve clean/jectron?
    • Rock sliders? Not very many options and all quite expensive.
    • Clean engine bay.
    • Detail and clean everything when I have time.
    • Mishimoto aluminum radiator and HPS radiator hoses.
    • Find better LEDs for interior lights that aren't 6000k. Want a warmer color temp.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 12, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    reserved...

3. Sep 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    reserved...

4. Sep 12, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    YodasRbest

YodasRbest New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra ltd
    Nice truck !

5. Sep 13, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Date: 9/13/2021 Mileage: 191,603 --
    Went to change my spark plugs and check my ignition coils this afternoon. Picked up 8 SK20R11 from Advance Auto Parts this morning. I am reasonable sure they were changed around 120k, but if they weren't, they would be well past due and if they were, I'm only a bit (maybe more than a bit) early, but I wanted to check the ignition coils for cracking too.

So first thing I noticed is the coil #6 was missing a rubber seal. So off to Advance Auto Parts again for a new ignition coil. I am going to have to order 3 more from Amazon as they are cheaper because several of them have cracked down the body. Edit: I ended up ordering the rest of the 7 remaining coils and will replace them all this weekend.

This is annoying. Glad I found the missing seal and got it replaced.
    IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5895.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5897.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    Found more cracked ones as I changed the plugs...
    IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5901.jpg IMG_5902.jpg
    I was able to save one of the coils that was missing the seal as it wasn't cracked. I cleaned it up and put the rubber seal from one of the cracked ones. So at least three more to change that were cracked later this week. Moved 6 to 8. 6 is new. 2 is cracked. 5 is cracked and 7 is also cracked.

Plugs weren't that bad, I guess, but good enough to find that missing seal. Torqued everything back to 17 N m and put the coils back on. Amazon order will occur this evening and I will swap out those remaining cracked coils and should be good for another 105k miles or so.
    IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5900.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  6. Sep 13, 2021 at 4:21 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Got some pictures of my bumper progress today and also heard from Kieth at Dirty Deeds that they are fabricating my exhaust today.
    DA0B6579-D4BE-4AEC-A30B-2ED952389BFB.jpg 00732D2B-7DA8-4C8E-AA20-0B039A5ABCFF.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    des2mtn likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Date 9/18/2021 Mileage: 191,634 --
    Well went to get my truck's alignment checked yesterday after installing the new wheels and tires last week and it's in rough shape. LCA bushings are seized and won't move. I knew my shocks need to be replaced (they are non-OE and ride crappy compounded by a leveling spacer in the front). But this pushes the timeline forward a bit now. Brainstorming what to do. Talked to Josh at 1stgenoffroad today and he's got OME and Icon stuff in stock. Thinking of doing the SPC UCAs, Toyota OE LBJs and Moog LCAs since they don't seem to be a bad wear point and the Toyota OE LCAs are pretty pricey. Suspension Maxx extended sway bar links for sure. The ADS stuff looks really nice too, but super pricey and backordered for a while. I am hoping to get a 2" lift in the front and level the whole thing.

Haven't determined what if anything I want to do with the rear leaf springs but keeping an eye towards upgraded/replacing the OE springs in the future.

These are kid of three options for everything except leaf springs.
    242126066_10101490911418536_6848687909885305020_n.jpg

des2mtn likes this.
  8. Sep 21, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Big suspension
    Went with OEM for LBJs, outer tie rods, LCAs and got the new cam hardware kit for the LCAs since they are toast.
    Did the ARB OME Level kit from 1stGenOffroad:
    • OME 2885 Front Springs x 2
    • OME 90004 Front Shocks x 2
    • OME 60091 Rear Shocks x 2 (Rear Shocks Can Accommodate A 0-2" Rear Lift)
    • Poly Spring Insulators (to accommodate the more narrow springs) x 2
    Also grabbed the Suspension Maxx extended sway bar links and need to still order the two pairs of spidertraxx 1.25" wheel spacers.

No change thus far planned for the rear leaf springs. I'll address after I get past all of this work.

Next week getting my Dirty Deeds exhaust welded in and looking to black out all of the chrome around the truck (mirror caps, grill, logos) ahead of my Tough Country bumper delivery. Also looked into wrapping the wood panel accents in the cab of the truck for matte black to complete the look. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel by the end of Oct, hopefully, where the last outstanding thing will be the LED headlight projector retrofits.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    des2mtn likes this.
  9. Sep 22, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    Very nice. Looking forward to seeing it all put together. Good choice on all the OEM stuff too, should be a breeze putting it all together and will ride nicely.

I'll add in a +1 on the SPCs, that's what I've been running the last few years without issue. If you do go with those, you'll want to make sure you have an alignment tech that knows how to adjust them and doesn't just "toe and go".

10. Sep 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the comments on the SPCs. This shop that I am working with has come highly recommended and does a lot of older Toyotas. So I have high hopes.

Woohoo. Stuff is starting to come in. Fedex really knows how to destroy a box...everything looks pretty good however.

2885 Springs:
    65402457496__F2AE61F6-2614-4E6B-8E11-AEEAB7147F7D.jpg
    Dirty Deeds exhaust:
    Went with the 16x5 muffler. The resonator is really cool too. Will post some videos when I get it welded in next week.
    IMG_5989.jpg

11. Sep 22, 2021 at 4:57 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fedex has been at my house a bunch today...

Front and rear shocks arrived, 2885 coils and suspension max links. Every box was ripped open, but everything seems to be ok hopefully and no hardware lost.
    IMG_5994.jpg 65404580359__AF6CFB8F-ED0E-4030-9EE9-1BBC34DA3E10.jpg
    Also, a nice clean engine bay.IMG_5993.jpg

alb1k and des2mtn like this.
  12. Sep 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SPC UCAs arrived today. Another box destroyed by FedEx. These things are pretty stout, however and really nice. Two more boxes of parts coming next week and I'll be ready for the install! Hopefully no more surprises once we start installing all this stuff.
    IMG_6008.jpg

sportbike37 likes this.
  13. Sep 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    Any chance you have the part number handy?

14. Sep 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I got them from here: spc25485.

daveeasa[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 25, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    Openbaffle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers came in. Just waiting on my Toyota suspension parts, poly spring insulators and KYB strut mounts and I'll be in good shape to get rolling on the suspension. Really looking forward to the exhaust install on Monday and hearing that. Was doing a bit of research on LED light pods for fog lights from Baja designs since my fog lenses are still fogged after detailing the engine bay.

I've seen at least one person install the Baja Designs squadron pods in the fog lights of our trucks with a circular mounting plate. I really like the way the squadrons look and perform. Perhaps the next thing to think about. Also been researching replacement steps. I'm going to wait until I install my Tough Country bumper, but I like the way the N-fabs look. The weld on rock sliders are also nice, but end up being a much bigger project.

These Spidertrax are really really nice.
    IMG_6028.jpg IMG_6029.jpg

sportbike37 and des2mtn like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top