1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Tundra Double Cab Carpet Kit

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Andrewb5, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Jan 2, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    Andrewb5

Andrewb5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Double Cab
    I've got an 05 Double Cab Tundra that I'm trying to replace the carpet in. I've already ripped the old junk out and now I can't find anything that'll fit. I see replacement carpet kits for '05 access cabs but nothing for a double cab. I want to put in vinyl instead of the carpet but at this point, I'll take whatever I can get.

2. Jan 2, 2021 at 7:47 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
  3. Jan 2, 2021 at 11:07 PM
    jpink

jpink Aspiring Shade Tree Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tundra DC SR5
  4. Jan 3, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    You would be amazed how well original carpets can be cleaned with the right tools. It's far cheaper than replacing. Best thing to do is pull the seats and then remove the carpeting so you can clean it outside. Lots of detailing videos in YouTube these days.

jpink and Tundra2 like this.
  5. Jan 3, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    Back when I was a young lad doing DIY bed liner in the cab was all the rage. Had minimal holes and wires to deal with in my 87 pickup and it came out great. I'm guessing newer rides would not be so easy. The cool factor might not apply anymore either but I'm still considering it someday when my 05 becomes a dedicated hunting and work rig.

Darkness and Tundra2 like this.
  6. Jan 3, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
  7. Jan 3, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Junkyard, but what a pain that would be. The vinyl would be awesome. The diamond plate or coin looks good. 4' wide rolls. one run across the front, one run across the back. Need about 12'. That would run less than the carpet for sure. maybe $150. Have to "custom" install it yourself. Make all your own cuts and shaping. Would need more sound deadening behind it too.

8. Jan 3, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    jpink

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tundra DC SR5
    Having pulled the front seats, center console, and many many trim pieces I will say my suggestion (and to anyone in the future):

First day pull battery, wait a bit for airbag capacitors to drain, then carefully start pulling everything. Try not to break anything, I ordered 9 clips to hold weather stripping along bottom of door at $4.77/clip. Most expensive, smallest, lightest fastener I’ve ever had the pleasure of replacing. Each strip requires 9 clips.

Second day vacuum everything. Then use the Meguiar’s upholstery cleaner to soak the carpet, a brush to agitate everything, and then one of the handheld “pet stain” type vacs to “hose down” the carpet (I didn’t soak it) and vac it all up. Might as well do with seats too while they’re out.

Third day make sure you didn’t miss anything. Repeat on any tough stains. Then begin detailing all the plastic trim pieces you removed. This will allow everything to continue to dry out.

I removed 10 year old coffee stains from the floor. There are some stains that remain but everything looks so much better.

I’ve seen it recommended around here a lot, but that 303 Protectant is amazing. I’ve put it on everything that makes sense. Maybe some that doesn’t. While my door panels were off I even toothbrush scrubbed the window tracks and applied it there. I used a microfiber rag with some on it and pulled it through the vents that I could because of the claims it helps resist dust build up.

This has certainly been a process but not only do I feel better that I could tackle a future drink mishap by a passenger, I was also able to take advantage of this time and ease of access to do extra things. Soundproofing, insulation, swap out a cigarette outlet for a fancy USB outlet, fix the driver door lock, tighten the passenger door lock, recover a free pen, learn how to better take care of my car.

To me, this experience has been worth the time, the $100 upholstery vac, and misc microfiber/cleaners.

Darkness, Lil Steve, KNABORES and 3 others like this.
  9. Jan 5, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    Now that sound deadener showdown is gone what products are people going with?

10. Jan 5, 2021 at 2:02 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Big Box Butyl Tape for Windows and Doors. Cheap(er) and readily available. Double up over it with Metal HVAC Tape from said location, as well. This only needs light coverage to be optimized. No need to do every square inch of surface area in OCD Mode for max effect. Just some small squares spaced strategically works best.

Check my build page. I got the idea by putting 2 and 2 together after finding some Butyl on a street corner. The info on not needing to do the entire surface was obtained from some Internet Audio Guy that does it for a living.

Add in some OEM Wurrld Peas Natural Organic Fiber Insulation and you’ll make up for your incandescent filament burning sins. :rofl:

11. Jan 5, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    jpink

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tundra DC SR5
    I went with Noico because Amazon Prime could get it to me before my time off, and it came in black. As @Darkness will attest, this means it will work better.

I didn't cover everything, but I covered a lot! Hope to get the vapor barrier reinstalled tonight after work, and put back together tomorrow!

12. Jan 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    Sounds like have some more reading to do. So are you using mass loaded vinyl?

I'll just walk around barefoot for a day and all the hippies should be happy.

13. Jan 5, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    jpink

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tundra DC SR5
    @onesojourner I may go back and cover everything with it in the future, but I didn't at this point. I'm nowhere near an audiophile, just aiming for a more enjoyable ride. I think if I were I would at least do it on the floor over the 80mil to keep the profile thin enough to not cause issues where the factory insulation is.

onesojourner likes this.
  14. Jan 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Scientifically proven
    [​IMG]

15. Jan 5, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    delz05

delz05 Old relic... Living and Loving Life!!!

Member:
    BOSTON
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Limited
    Work in progress...
    I have pulled quite a few carpets and have used a pressure washer (wide fan) to pretty much return a carpet to "as new" condition. I use "Thermo-Tec" https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-14620-Heat-Sound-Suppressor... to use as a underlay mat, . I spray inside all the rocker with either fluid-film or wool-wax, which ever is on hand... as for the seats, if cloth, pull the covers, toss them in the was machine (gentle cycle) and re-install. You will love the results! Takes about 2 days... I do the carpet first and while it is drying, I pull the seat covers and wash them. On a few trucks, i have gone the "leather" route...

Darkness and jpink like this.
  16. Jan 5, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark

Products Discussed in