1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Cold Weather P2445 Limp Mode ECM?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by AlaskaWheels05, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Jan 23, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    AlaskaWheels05

AlaskaWheels05 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tundra Limited
    Stuck with an ongoing limp mode problem and need help. Haven't been able to find any solutions in the forum or online elsewhere.

Truck (4.7L) throws code P2445 (Secondary Air Injection System Pump Stuck Off Bank 1) in the morning on my way to work in Ohio. Seems to be the freezing temperature glitch in the ECM because it doesn't happen much if at all in the summer, but happens all the time in the winter when I start the truck in below freezing temperatures when it's been off for 7 hours or more and then drive above 50 mph. Currently have Hewitt Tech's full bypass kit installed (Plug & Play SAIS Bypass Kit w/ Pump Proxy Pack (https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=29) because I thought it was just the SAIS pump, but I still get thrown into limp mode regularly, which leads me to believe it is the cold weather ECM glitch.

Any suggestions on how to actually fix this for good? Will buying & installing a new ECM from somewhere like this fix the problem (https://www.fs1inc.com/89661-0c642-...-computer-pcm-ecu-programmed-plug-play.html)? I've heard that a Toyota re-flash of the ECM from a very specific but no longer available limited service campaign would fix the problem, but I don't really feel like / can't afford to get robbed at the dealership, and I don't think they would take too kindly to my bypass kit, even though I run Alaska plates.

This has happened while on the highway stuck between a couple semis and is getting a little dangerous, so need to get it fixed soon, but have exhausted any other fixes that I've been able to find. Any assistance appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. Jan 27, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    Tundrawwwr

Tundrawwwr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4WD
    Same exact thing is happening with me. Hewitt suggested it is an issue with the ECM as you stated. They suggested that I start the truck, let it warm up for 5 min so the temp gauge goes up. Then turn the truck off for a minute and start it again. Apparently counts as a drive cycle and the code is thrown on the first drive cycle so subsequent ones should be fine.
    I tried it today and drove about 30 miles up to 60mph and no codes threw.

revtune likes this.
  3. Jan 30, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    AlaskaWheels05

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Worked for me as well. Just ordered replacement ECM that is supposed to fix the issue. Will install and let everyone know if it works.

4. Feb 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    santac45

santac45 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited
    Any luck with the new ecu? I'm having the same problem

5. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    AlaskaWheels05

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nope. The replacement ECM from FS1 referenced above did not fix the problem. Still have the cold weather glitch code problem. Will throw a pending code first time out, next time it happens will go into limp mode. Back to the drawing board...

6. Mar 31, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    tundrav82020

tundrav82020 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC XSP
  7. Jun 29, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    jeffinity

jeffinity New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax 4x4 Tundra
    I want to talk about this "Limp Mode" as my 2008 5.7L Tundra is showing P2445, and has been in this "Limp Mode" (I think?) for about 2 weeks. From what I'm hearing, it is like you are hitting the gas and it is stuck in 1st gear, and my tachy shows like 2500 RPMS and my engine is really revving, and it seems like I'm barely moving... is that what others experience (in limp mode)? Well I tried something different... it's an automatic, and I played around with 4, 3, 2 to no avail. HOWEVER, based on a certain set of skills (LOL!) namely shifting a VW van and various bugs for 9+ years, and a brief training sesh on a motorcycle where I was told that if you "find the sweetspot" you don't have to use the clutch to shift gears (yes I found the sweetspot), and I always remember the great feeling when I found the sweetspot when shifting my VW's up or down. So... back to the Tundra... when on a flat road... I'm in drive, I think I'm in "limp mode" ... I start out and rev it up to 2500 RPMs, take my foot off the gas and let the RPMs fall to 1000-1500, then put my foot back on the gas and rev it back up to 2500 (and it feels the same as the first time). The 3rd time, I rev it up to 2500 and it is starting to feel normal, I let off the gas and let the RPMs drop again, then I engage the gas once more, and now I feel like I'm in 4th gear, I'm going smoothly on the highway, and I can even use cruise control. But darn, hit a stop light and start all over again! So in a way I'm "pretending" I'm using a clutch, albeit an imaginary one, but I have been successful in getting it into a higher gear and going down the road normally. I would even feel confident going on the interstate. I'll take it into Toyota in a few days for the bad news... and if it's over $500, I'll try the Hewitt bypass that everyone is talking about. For now, however, I feel like I've defeated "limp mode!"

8. Jun 29, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    We don't do 5.7s around these parts.

BubbaW and Lil Steve like this.
  9. Jun 29, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    jeffinity

jeffinity New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax 4x4 Tundra
    Oh but I am in your neck of the words (Eastern Kansas)! Do... you think my 5.7 was, um, sabotaged? (actually if I'm missing something and this is not a 5.7L Tundra forum, please let me know? Thanks!)

10. Jun 30, 2021 at 3:24 AM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    Since this is the 1st Gen Forum, we deal with 4.7L. You will have better success posting in the 2nd Gen Forum where they do have 5.7L. Since P2445 is related to Air Injection pump, perhaps the below thread in the 2nd Gen Forum will help lead you to an answer.

2008 5.7 with a P2445 Code, secondary air pump stuck off | Toyota Tundra Forum (tundras.com)

des2mtn and KNABORES like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top