1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Tundra Ignition Steering Wheel - Shift Lever Park and Lock

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by MikePell66, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Dec 28, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    MikePell66

MikePell66 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hello all, recent 1st time Tundra owner. Just purchased an 02 Access Cab, 2wd, SR5. Runs great and best of all it has a recalled new frame under it. I was able to buy it very reasonable through a dealer auction in my area. Friend of a friend with dealer license. When I got it home, was able to do a little investigating and first thing I noticed was ignition key didn't work on anything else besides ignition, and there was no other keys. I also noticed only 1 screw holding dash panel where ignition is accessed, the other screws/bolts where in glove box. My thought is someone changed out ignition switch before auction to get vehicle to start and run? Also, my son hopped in the truck without keys in the ignition and was able to move steering wheel and auto column shift lever. Truck started to roll, needless to say scared the crap out of me and the wife. I planned on taking apart to see what's going on in there, anything I should look for? I see there is a park and lock cable listed on ignition parts diagram, is that missing or disconnected? Does the steering wheel lock with that cable, or with ignition assembly? Or does steering wheel lock at all? Thanks, Mike

2. Dec 29, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    ZFORCE

ZFORCE New Member

Member:
    2003 Green Tundra Access Cab 2wd
    Hi I have a 2003 tundra and I discovered that my steering wheel does not lock as well, I removed the steering wheel and there are two screws located behind it, and one screw at 6 o’clock position on the lower plastic cover, those 3 screws hold the plastic clamshell together over the steering column assembly. Once you remove the plastic clamshell, you will see the ignition switch. There is a cable coming off the ignition switch it goes deeper down into the column to a metal bracket, which is also part of the cable assembly, and from there the cable comes out and then goes back forward to the steering assembly. That cable is broken on mine, and probably on yours as well. You should disassemble your column as indicated above and check the cable for yourself, I have not replaced mine but it does not look too difficult. Hope this helps. Also could you list the part number? That would help me to order it. Thanks

3. Dec 30, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    MikePell66

MikePell66 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the response. Wanted to give an update. I pulled all the covers off, and found a few interesting things. The cable your talking about, I assume that is the shift lock cable, was just hanging there and not connected to the ignition. I tried to connect it, but screw hole is stripped out so I guess that's why it was hanging there. Another interesting thing I found was in the ignition assembly. There are 2 bolts and a C clamp that attach the assembly to the steering column. The bolts used where standard 3/8" or 1/4" bolts and washers, forced in with an impact. Needless to say they are stripped out and need to be cut off. A major hack job. One problem not associated with ignition is my brakes. They grab hard and stick when I hit the pedal. When looking at the steering column and an online parts diagram, I noticed my Brake Pedal Return Spring is gone. Not broken, just missing. Not sure if that would make brakes grab or not. Anyway, I'm waiting on a used ignition assembly I found on the web for $124, comes complete with 2 keys. Also waiting on Brake Return Spring I ordered through dealer.

4. Dec 30, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    ZFORCE

ZFORCE New Member

Member:
    Glad to help, the more I look into my Tundra the more hacks I found, now at the tail end of that.

5. Dec 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
  6. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    ZFORCE

ZFORCE New Member

Member:
    Sorry new to the forum, will have to do the pic thing later!

7. Jan 2, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    You have unfortunately inherited two things with your new to you Tundra. A truck that suffered rust severe enough to need the frame replaced, and someone else's hack job of replacing it. The frame replacement is not a plus, as you will have all the other non-frame components on the truck likely also suffering from rust corrosion. You also now have a truck that was taken apart and put back together by whoever pulled the short straw at the repair shop. The few issues you have identified are likely the tip of the iceberg. A thorough inspection of all systems by yourself, someone you trust, or a qualified mechanic should be done. Things like steering and braking are so paramount to the function and safety of a vehicle, I would not drive it until it's been thoroughly gone through. Since you purchased at auction, you are left holding the bag with whatever's wrong. These trucks sell well and should have no need to go to auction, it likely got dumped there. Fortunately, this is a good place to find info on whatever problems surface that need repair or maintenance. Welcome to the forum and may the force be with you on your new truck.

Stuck in the '00s and Tundra2 like this.
  8. Jan 4, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    ZFORCE

ZFORCE New Member

Member:
    That’s a lot of assumptions.

9. Jan 6, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    When buying a used car or truck, assume the worst, or it will come back to haunt you. The frame replacement happened, it's not an assumption that there will be lots of other rusty, crusty parts that, when they fail, will be extremely difficult to deal with. They do not replace all the bad parts they see when doing a frame replacement unless the customer wants to pay. He's already found 2 pieces of evidence that the truck has been improperly repaired or missing parts, also not an assumption. And these trucks do sell really well, no need for them to ever go to an auction. Unless they are a problem. Cars get sent to auction because the dealer doesn't want to deal with it.

FrenchToasty likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top