1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Tundra 4WD 191K, $6700...thoughts?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Brad243, May 9, 2020.

1. May 9, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    Brad243

Brad243 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    I am looking to buy a two-owner 2002 Tundra 4WD. Appears to be in great shape. The truck has 191K on the clock, and the timing belt and water pump have been changed. Should I buy this truck with with miles or stay away from it. 6700 is the asking price. Your comments are appreciated. God bless.

2. May 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    lsaami

lsaami Let ‘er buck

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra 4x4 "$1100 Build"
    3/2" lift, visor, 33s, eibach pro-truck, Cvj axles BFF Bumper 4.56 Tacoma Diffs
    Where you from? Any pics?

check the frame for rust, that’s about the only weak point that can’t be remedied easily.

3. May 9, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Inspect like Chief Eagle Eye for rust. 191k miles is low for this engine. Sounds like the maintenance has been performed on the other critical items. Be like Chief Eagle Eye.

Rex Kramer likes this.
  4. May 9, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    Dog

Dog sit!

Member:
    Rocky Mountain high...
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 AC 4x4 TRD-OR

WHEN was the timing belt changed? If at 90-100k miles, it is due again. If recent, then great. +3 on checking for frame rust, really the only Achilles heel of these trucks.

GeezePlease, Tundra2 and Rex Kramer like this.
  5. May 9, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Biggest thing is rust on the frame and proof of timing belt replacement. Check trans fluid color/level and suspension parts, specifically lower ball joints. At that mileage, they are probably due.

I didn’t believe it when people said mileage was just a number for these trucks, but it really is true. Even when they are neglected, they still continue to keep trucking along.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Darkness and N84434 like this.
  6. May 14, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Private sale, or dealer?

7. May 14, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    $11k one is going for on Fantasy Island. Good shape and low miles.

theBIGnaud[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 14, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Peeps around on this site be payin’ $16k fo foe-doe DC cabs yo! Its trues.

Darkness likes this.
  9. May 18, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    I'd shoot for an '05+ cuz of the VVT-i, good for 40 more ponies and pounds of torque....

10. May 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM
    ToyotaJim

ToyotaJim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    I'll start by saying I am impressed with the Gen 1 Tundra, a truck I over looked for 2 decades. It's a perfect sized frame, nimble enough, and quite powerful and good handling. In my search in my budget, it essentially was between the F150 and Tundra. The rest are trucks of lower quality (unless you find a mint well loved one sitting in a barn somewhere, essentially a museum piece unicorn for dirt cheap).

The 4x4 is more versatile, but also more expensive to buy and maintain. So it seems that's the key question to answer first. If the OP needs a 4x4, it's a very good choice.

I'm also new to the Tundra, but familiar with the era since I own a similar generation 4Runner with same motor and similar specs. Darn good vehicle that 4Runner. I purchased 2 Tundras this month because I've wanted a truck, and found a great deal on a 4x4 and then a great deal on a 2WD.

RUST is the first thing to look for. Get down on your back and look up at the entire frame, from every angle, look at the floor and everything under the truck and at the bottom of the engine. Rust cannot be fixed. I bring a flashlight and a camera with a good flash and take dozens of pictures from all angles and then review on my computer later. I've heard of bringing a small hammer and tapping on the frame to see if there's any hollow feeling spots. Also, get service records, and get a carfax report and run the Vin on stolen/loss databases. This small step will possibly spare you a lot of wasted money and regret.

As for mechanical, my familiarity with the 4Runner and research on the Tundras confirm that you want service records to know what has been done and absent that, plan on spending up to $2000 if you have a mechanic do catch up maintenance. The timing belt is the big one, about a grand. And when that's done, you may as well do about a half dozen other things like water pump, and little parts and seals and belts. Lower ball joints serviced as well. And all the transfer cases, fluids, etc. flushed and serviced. Since yours has some of that recently done that will save you some money, but not a whole lot. It depends on if the WP was also done, b/c if not it will require almost the same amount of labor.

As for price, it's market dependent but right now it's a buyers market. That partly explains my good deals. Price is going to entirely depend on condition and service records. If it's been well maintained and all records are present and everything caught up, and the truck is pristine, $7k is not an unfair price, but is certainly not a low price. It might be fair, or it might be high. Now, if the truck has unknown service history or has blemishes (seat, paint, bald tires, etc.) I would expect it to be closer to $4-5k.

Service records are really important. For instance, my 2WD came with some records that shows me that the spark plugs, coils, alternator, and battery were just replaced, and the fluids all recently serviced. That saves me five hundred bucks and peace of mind. It also shows what prior shops recommended be done, but the prior owner declined. This saves me time and I know it has some priority issues like the timing belt & water pump service and shocks and struts...

These are great trucks. Toyota hit a home run with their trucks in this era. My 4Runner with the 4.7L has 200,000 miles with routine maintenance and runs strong. My new Tundras have 155,000 and 244,000 miles and I wouldn't have bought them if they had problems. They just need to be caught up on some routine maintenance.

If you want it go with cash. If there's a sticking point in negotiations, offer $5k cash right now or walk away. Many people, especially in tough times, can't turn down that type of cash if the truck isn't selling.

11. May 26, 2020 at 1:30 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    On the rust topic, also be mindful of rust that's just been painted over. If you see crusty looking paint on the frame it might be hiding rust. Also look at the rear axle and the leaf springs for rust indications. Pop the hood and look at the core support and cross members from the birds eye view.

If frame looks good I would try to get them down to 5k, depending on area and actual location 6k tops but only if it's really cherry. 191k is still a youngster for these trucks, lots of life left.

12. May 26, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    jcrob33

jcrob33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tundra DC // 295k+
    Depends on where you are.

I just bought mine, DC 281k, for 5500. Which around here, thats a pretty good deal. Its worth it to run the carfax.

I land on Maintenance > Miles. The reason i bought mine is because it was taken to the dealer every 10k with 1 owner.

bmf4069, Darkness and speedtre like this.
  13. May 26, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    [​IMG]

bmf4069 and Darkness like this.
  14. May 26, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    ToyotaJim

ToyotaJim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Of the two, maintenance wins I agree. I prefer both. As soon as I get a vehicle I sit down and I recreate a maintenance log, as I do on all my vehicles now to keep track using an excel spreadsheet (date, mileage, maintenance, cost, location, etc.) along with VIN and all important notes on fluids, part numbers, etc. as I go so it's easier to keep track. And make notes on what needs to be done going forward.

I bought two Tundras this month.

1. 154,000 miles, 2 prior owners, dealership auto, no provided records, and carfax spotty but fairly good records but appeared in well loved condition, and I'd grade overall 8-9 out of 10 in all categories. California truck, no rust, very clean, everything important works, lifted, quality parts used. Any issues with the truck are trivial and easily remedied. $7000.

2. 244,000 miles, 1 owner, used for suburban errands for 18 years. I was reluctant to consider anything at or above 200,000 miles but this was both a really good example with good records and history, not abused, and the price was a steal. Owner provided good records showing routine maintenance but there were some holes in records. Between his records and carfax I recreated a good log showing pretty good routine care. No rust, no mechanical problems, some minor electrical issues but nothing urgent, clean body, and most everything works as it should. I'd grade the truck 8-9 out of 10 overall and in each category. The only concern is high mileage, and anything else is trivial and easily remedied. $3000.

So there are deals out there.

With mine, now or very soon, this summer for sure, I'm going to overhaul the maintenance on both - timing belts, water pumps, plugs, wires/coils, flush and fill and change fluids, oil, air, fuel filters, and one needs a new set of tires. Ordered most of the parts so I can get started.

bmf4069 and Darkness like this.
  15. May 26, 2020 at 4:06 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    @Brad243 what state are you in? That gives a better idea what price range is acceptable. A truck in Maryland may fetch 3k and the same truck in California may fetch 5k.

Products Discussed in

To Top