1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 TRD Tundra Transfer Case Motor Issues.....

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by S Petroff, May 28, 2020.

1. May 28, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    S Petroff

S Petroff [OP] New Member

Member:
    Need a little help. This situation is a little different than the other posts about this problem.
    My 02 Tundra's Transfer case motor got wet internally due to the stupid vacuum line deteriorating falling off and allowing moisture to get inside and destroy the connections inside the "BlackCap". I made repairs as best I could by sanding and cleaning the connections, I have reassembled and timed the motor with the knowledge from this forum. Now the 4 high light flashing on dash and button.
    Front axle motor is disengage. Transfer case is in 4 high, I know because the front drive shaft is not free.
    With the 4 high button pushed in, only the back wheels are engaged, or 2 wheel drive.
    When I put the button in 2 wheel drive mode it engages now into 4 high.....
    Any help is appreciated about timing this type of Transfer Case Motor to the Transfer Case.

2. May 29, 2020 at 4:58 AM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    Sounds like the 2 actuators are out of sync with each other/switch position.

I'd ensure the motors are both in the 2 wheel drive position prior to applying any power to the truck again.

Take the plastic cap you cleaned up off the Transfer case actuator and rotate the big actuator shaft gear inside the actuator with the truck off the ground. Rotating that gear will move the actuator shaft between 2 HI, 4 HI and 4 lo. With the gear rotated all the way clockwise or counter clockwise to it's stop, you will either be in 2 hi or 4 lo (I can't remember which way is 2 HI) Then put the truck in Neutral and rotate the front drive shaft for the front diff, and see if it's connected to the rear drive shaft or not.

If both drive shafts are turning, rotate the gear the other way and repeat. You should then be in 2 HI.

If you haven't touched the front actuator, it should be in sync with the switch position already.

I hope that makes sense to you...

3. May 29, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Awesome diagnostic!

N84434[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 29, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    I went through the same scenario with mine when I attempted to repair the old actuator. Not knowing which position is 2 HI or 4 LO will get the 2 actuators out of sync and confuse the 4X4 module.

My added problem was replacing the front actuator as well.. Doing a bunch of research got my headed in the right direction and now they work.

Just can't wait to get this truck put back together and start enjoying it...

5. May 29, 2020 at 5:42 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    It pays to crawl under the truck and check things out on occasion. About 3 years after I bought my truck I noticed that tube @S Petroff discussed above had come loose on mine during a routine inspection. Such a small deal, but can mess things up.

Make sure everyone exercises those 4WD buttons at least every 2 weeks just to keep the actuators in working shape.

bmf4069 and N84434[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top