1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Suspension Issue

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 02tundi, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Dec 19, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    02tundi

02tundi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Sr5
    Hi everyone. First time poster, long time forum visitor. Much appreciate all the insight I get from here.

Hoping to get some help on something I’ve seen discussed plenty, but can’t seem to find a thread that hits the nail on the head for my issue. I have an 02 tundra 4.7 2x4 that came new from the dealership with Fabtech coilovers with a 2.5 lift. The ride is incredibly stiff and every crack in the road feels like I’m running over a bicycle. I don’t do a ton of off roading and if I do it’s light. But I like the option to do so and want to retain the 2.5 height. I’ve been suggested Bilstein 5100s more than once and they seem to be a standard go-to. The issue I’m running into - if I’m understanding things correctly - is that I need to essentially rebuild the strut. I don’t have any of the oe parts and the oe springs are discontinued and not as readily available as some have suggested on here. In short - what is the best way to get the Bilsteins on my truck while retaining the 2.5” lift and without breaking the bank? Buy complete aftermarket struts - like a set of Moogs - and then replace the shocks the with Bilsteins? Continue scouring the internet for old used oe struts and swap the shock? Or is there another way to go about it? If you have any suggestions on specific springs and mounting caps, Please let me know. Looking for a nice comfortable ride. But also trying to keep the project in the $500-$600 range for parts. Mucho thanks.

Darkness and YardBird like this.
  2. Dec 19, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Welcome to the forum. I believe the most popular non OEM combo for the front is Bilstein 5100's with either Old Man Emu springs or Eibach springs. Some springs will create some front end lift without having to raise the clip on the 5100's. I have the original TRD springs on mine, perhaps other members with the OME or Eibach setup could chime in as well. The most comfortable ride will be no lift, as intended from the factory. Lift comes with some compromise. Other factors up front can affect the harshness of the ride as well. Ball joints, bushings etc.

torino69 likes this.
  3. Dec 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
  4. Dec 20, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    02tundi

02tundi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Sr5
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will take a look at Eibach. Bilstein responded to a message I sent them and suggested some of their coilovers. I’m going to take into those as well. Thanks again for the help and the hospitality.

5. Dec 20, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    Surf_spear_Mex

Surf_spear_Mex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    05 tundra ac
    I used 5100s and dobinsons c59314 but these are heavy duty springs I believe the c59307 are closest to stock for $180 but there are cheaper springs. Otd with billies, stock springs from ebay, new insulators, new strut mount plates you would get by with $450ish spent. But remember the geometry is changed at this point so extended away links (suspensionmaxx) and a diff drop will save you headaches in the future. CV axle boots start to tear, worn ball joints wear faster etc. Good luck

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    Take a look at 1stgenoffroad or toytec, they both offer fully assembled options. You can also buy the top hat, spring, shock and reducer. 1stgenoffroad has all of them on the site (assuming it's all in stock)

7. Dec 23, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    02tundi

02tundi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Sr5
    Tons of great info. Exactly what I looking for. Much appreciated. Happy holidays, amigos.

Tundra2 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top