1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Toyota towing advice

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by charlie_tuna1978, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jun 5, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    charlie_tuna1978

charlie_tuna1978 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 tundra V8
    Hello all, New to the forum. I am planning a trip to tow a trailer and have a motorcycle in the bed. The trailer is under 4,800 lbs. so it looks like that should be ok but with the motorcycle in the bed I am wondering if I may need air shocks or add another leaf spring? Also I have never changed the radiator in it and was wondering what your suggestion is as to what one is the best. And should I add a transmission cooler? I'm sure I will have more questions as I move forward on this, so if you have any tips or advice please let me know, Thanks for your time, Chuck.

2. Jun 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Read your manual if its still in your glove box. It gives a few examples of differing tow set ups and variations of tow with a load in the bed along with weight limits to adhere. My 2002 has the tow package factory transmission set up with the extra cooler. Hope you have it as well.

3. Jun 5, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    I used my 01 for towing almost every day. I added super springs and a bigger aftermarket AT cooler. Make sure you always turn OD off when towing or hauling.

4. Jun 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    Wintyfresh

Wintyfresh New Member

Member:
    Ramona, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno 4x4 DC LB SR5
    I'd just get a weight distribution hitch.

5. Jun 5, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    charlie_tuna1978

charlie_tuna1978 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 tundra V8
    Thanks guys, could I ask where you purchased the trans cooler? And was it a simple install? I do have a small trans cooler along with the fluid going into the radiator also, is this the tow package set up? I will look into the weight distribution hitch also. I am also going to replace the radiator as it's the same one from 2001, I have heard stories that they can cause trouble with the transmission. Yea a bigger cooler would give me a little piece of mind, thanks again guys, Chuck.

6. Jun 5, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    Wintyfresh

Wintyfresh New Member

Member:
    Ramona, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno 4x4 DC LB SR5
    I bought my last trans cooler on Amazon. Simple to install if you're comfortable fabricating brackets, the hardest part imho is getting the fluid level right afterwards. Try not to block too much of the radiator.

Mr Swervlin likes this.
  7. Jun 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    I bought mine from auto anything. I left the factory on and just added to it. Should only need hose and clamps. Installed with thick zip ties behind the bumper

Products Discussed in

To Top