1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 SR5 4.7 Exhaust

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Ghostly.-, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Dec 27, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    Ghostly.-

Ghostly.- [OP] Tragic.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Montana
    Hello all, I came here because I have been dealing with the dreaded exhaust leak and Was planning on pulling the whole exhaust and going new. Right now I'm looking at JBA long tubes from DirtyDeeds, but I'm not sure if I should go ceramic coated or not. I've heard the placement of the o2 sensors caused both a cel, and the engine to run rich. Also, what are you guys running for cat-back? I currently have my mind set on a stainless steel Gibson system, because the sound is good, they have a lifetime warranty for rust-through, and its cheaper than most. I would love to pay for a bamuffler system, but I can't come close to affording it right now. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Dec 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    Dirty Deeds FTW. Complete system was around $600, and cannot beat the sound or ease of installation and customer service.

3. Dec 27, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    I tried to mess with my 02 sensor, and ended up just pulling the bulb on the dash.

4. Dec 27, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I did not know that the JBA caused a CEL Condition due to the o2 Sensor Holes. I have read the Sensor Holes are not properly aligned for easy service if one does go bad later on. IOW, the entire Header needs loosening to service/install new a Sensor.

I’ve been eyeing Gibson Chrome Headers ($450) and the JBA Titanium Coated ($670). A member installed some Gibsons not to long ago with a nice DIY write up.

Future Difficult Sensor Servicing and a CEL would be a deal breaker for me on these Shorty Headers considering the amount of work to install.

Other than @Darkness and @revtune, @04 Tundra is the only member I can remember that didn’t mangle their DIY Shorty Headers install, have to have another shop save the day, or run into long term problems afterwards. Looks like a two day job.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/so-you-want-to-do-your-manifolds-do-you.66506/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/nee...ng-for-high-quality.65598/page-3#post-1738639

04 Tundra likes this.
  5. Dec 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    Ghostly.-

Ghostly.- [OP] Tragic.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Montana
    Smokey, what system did you get from Dirty Deeds? A stainless dual system on their website is $899, with no mid pipes. A bolt on standard one is $695. It's just a lot of money compared to the Gibson system I'm looking at. Also, stainless is a requirement because I live in Montana. I am 90% sure I want to go with long tubes because the power gains seem to be well worth it.

6. Dec 27, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    From behind the headers just pick a muffler you like and have a shop custom build your piping out of stainless. You'll be well under $500. Run 2.5" pipe if going single, thats the closest you'll find to stock sized piping and you don't want to go bigger.

I have run shorty jba since 2010, no problems and not running rich, installed myself over the course of a day (included an 18 pack of beer and taking a break for a party). From there back I run stock cats to the y pipe, stock piping and a Spintech Prostreet muffler.

Products Discussed in

To Top