1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 ohms, 4 ohms ... or mix?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RB1, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Nov 13, 2018 at 9:40 AM
    RB1

RB1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Sport DoubleCab 5.7
    Doing research on a system for my 2018 Tundra DC Sport (non JBL) ... learning lots from this forum ... thanks to all ... I have a couple of rookie questions tho ...

1) What ohms are the stock front and rear door speakers ... 4 or 2?

2) Keeping my stock HU but adding a 5ch amp should one keep all outputs the same ohm'age ... ie: if the F/R doors are 4 ohms can or should a person stick with wiring a 4 ohm sub? Or can you wire in a 2 ohm setup? Or will that just cause problems?

I'm wanting to be sure I don't have similar issues I had with my last Taco system where I had lots of background hiss at higher levels ... want to get it right this time.

Thanks

2. Nov 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    Lambeau

Lambeau New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tundra Platinum 4x4
    XP Package, 20” Rockstar, 295/60/R20 Nitto G2, Line-X Bedliner, Undercover Elite LX Tonneau Cover, Remote Start, NSV Hood Bulge Light Bar, Predator Running Boards, TacoTunes SQ1 Sound System, Toytec Boss front coilovers, Toytec Boss rear shocks, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles
    Look up *********. They can help.

I ordered a full replacement kit (keeping the head unit) from them.

You may need to add a DSP to clean up the signal.

3. Nov 13, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Get an aftermarket head unit and you'll have zero hiss.

4. Nov 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    I know the factory JBL shittune suckjob speakers are all 2ohms. Dunno about non JBL but they're all terrible, throw away junk.

If your amp is capable of 2ohm loads, you will be fine. But driving the amp into 2ohms for mids and highs will result in harsher sound quality because the rated distortion of the amp will increase as impedance decreases... Sound quality suffers.
    Generally speaking, subs should be the only speakers running a lower impeadance... Pick up an aftermarket set of speakers to compliment your amp and you will have the best results.

Truckinewbie and Black Wolf like this.
  5. Nov 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    RB1

RB1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Sport DoubleCab 5.7
    So then it is ok to have 4 ohm's in the doors and 2 ohm's as a sub? Or should I be wiring the sub for 4 ohms as well?

6. Nov 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    Stock non-JBL doors are 2ohm, can't remember the dash ones, but they are powered by the head unit and not the amp, so it doesn't matter. When you replace the stock amp with an aftermarket one, the new amp doesn't care what ohm speakers are hooked up (as long at it states that it can handle lower ohm speakers). In fact, the amp could care less if you mix them as the channels are seperated. I originally used 6.5 Infinities front and rear that are 2ohm and when I realized I was missing some mid range from the front I swapped just the front to aftermarket JBL 6 x 9s that I believe are listed at 3ohms. And of course, my sub runs at 2.

7. Nov 13, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    The oem sub is 2ohms, you can't wire it for anything different.
    And you can't just wire whatever impedance you want. The speaker determines that. Some subs have multiple voice coils to allow for different impedance configurations.

You have to come up with a better plan than gives you a complete system BEFORE you try to wire anything up. Know what 2 & 4 ohms actually mean and why, BEFORE you go out and buy an amp or speakers. There's a way to do it right, and then there's the other way. It sounds like you need to further your research, so you can make a educated choice.

Rica25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top