1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen JBL front door speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Drfarquad, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019 at 5:51 AM
    Drfarquad

Drfarquad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Milford
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Limited DC
    OME 3 inch lift level, UCAs, Icon AAL
    Ok so I'll try my best to explain this as I feel I did a pretty decent job.

This is on a 2005 double cab with the JBL navigation system.

My front woofers were shot and crackling like crazy, so with some help from people here on the forum and crutchfield, I was able to find "almost" direct swap speakers. They are the 2 ohm speakers that are needed for the JBL system. They set me up with Powerbass L2-6c. They came with new tweeter which I didnt use.

To get these to fit into the factory brackets, I needed to attach them myself since the new mounts didnt come with the tweeter bracket.

This isnt the best idea but for what I have this is what I did.

I used flex seal tape to adhere the outside cover to the new woofer to the original factory mount. Again not the nicest job I've ever done but hey it works and you can use it under water. Lol. Once that was done I just used the screws that came off the factory woofers and attached the speaker to the mount piece.

Once installed.

So with these woofers comes with a little box, not sure what its called or honestly what it even does, so I decided to test the unit and see if maybe I get better sound using it. So to test it I dismantled the factory connector using a small pick and very tiny screwdrivers to open the connector.

Once that small piece is out I was able to pull the 2 wires bringing power to the woofer and the 2 tweeter located in the door.

Now that I have that apart I was able to use testing leads with alligator clips to temporarily wire the "box".

With or without the box the speakers sound the same, so I decided to go against using them. I figure less work and with mo difference why use them.

Once that was done I noticed that my tweeters arent working. Looking around the wiring trying to figure out how its ran. I noticed that the incoming power goes up to the higher mounted tweeter first and is jumped at the connector to bring power to the lower tweeter. But I noticed something strange.

Seems to me that from the factory it was crushed behind this nut that attaches the passenger side mirror to the truck. NOT GOOD! I removed the wire from behind the nut and bam both tweeters work. Happy Happy Happy.

With the crutchfield kit they supply a small harness to allow the powerbass woofer to be wired with connections to the factory speaker. With this extra wiring I had the connector inside where the woofer sits. I was afraid to have rattling when the connector is bouncing around so I though what the hell let me try hot glue. So I busted out my moms hot glue gun and ran a small bead of glue on the back of the woofer to attach the connector.

Last but not least, now that I dont have JBL woofers in the door I decided why do I want to display the fact that there was JBL woofers there. So if you look closely it has a JBL badge on the speaker cover.

Hard to see but didnt think of getting a better shot of it. Well I used needle nose plyers and broke away the back side of the plastic to help the badge on. Pryed the old badge off and once again the hot glue gun is back in action. I removed the badge to the new woofer covers and glued then directly over the spot where the JBL badge was.

Figured this was there wasnt any false advertising.

All said and done with going to the hardware store to pick up the AS SEEN ON TV flex tape. I was in this for about 2 hours or so. That and a couple buddies and my dad stopping by to see what I had going on.

Tested both woofers before reinstalling the door cards then buttoned everything back up. Unfortunately I cant say how the factory system sounded since when I bought this truck the front woofers where shot. But I really like the new sound quality.

Here me truck just for fun.

Hopefully you all like this install. Any questions I'll try my best to help with. I know there are people on here that know way more about this JBL system than I do but I'm slowly starting to understand it more.

Mid-Atlantic Slots and Festerw like this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    Mid-Atlantic Slots

Mid-Atlantic Slots Living the semi retired life, Life is good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Franconia Va
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Dbl cab SR5 / TRD 4wd
    A few little things
    Thank you for posting this, As I am about to change up also. What did you do about the rear doors?

Drfarquad[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 5, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    Drfarquad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Milford
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Limited DC
    Well unfortunately I didn't do the rear doors as I wanted to fix my crackling woofers first. Although now I'm wanting to replace them too. Is this for the JBL system? If it is I was told it's much easier to find speakers to use in the rear. Not sure on mounting them but I would assume it's close to the same as I dis the front.

After thought on what I did, i probably could have made a small L braket and screwed that into the original mount and had a piece to screw the speaker to. But I didnt do that.

That was recommended to me from crutchfield, I would mainly say the connector is the most important part it does make the job slightly easier. Not sure if the mounts would work. I would assume they do because I dont believe there are tweeters in the rear doors.

Good luck man.

Mid-Atlantic Slots likes this.
  4. Nov 6, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Mid-Atlantic Slots

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Franconia Va
    Vehicle:
    A few little things
    Thank you, I am going with that as well. Looked all night and based off what you have said and what Crutchfield has. It seems the best bet.

Drfarquad[OP] likes this.
  5. May 12, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    Mid-Atlantic Slots

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Franconia Va
    Vehicle:
    A few little things
    Well lets see, I bought these speakers in November and now it is May and I am just now getting time to put them in. Panel is off, everything is ready and now I just need to wait to get them wired and in. No NO I don't procrastinate LOL.. Actually, there are other reasons. But I have started.

6. May 12, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    Drfarquad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Milford
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Limited DC
    Lol it's all good as long as your happy with what you got done. My woofers and sounds system are still working great. One day soon lol I'll get to swapping the rear speakers with woofers for more bass.

Mid-Atlantic Slots likes this.
  7. May 13, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Mid-Atlantic Slots

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Franconia Va
    Vehicle:
    A few little things
    Well crap, these will not fit in the original factory housing on this 04. Been trying to find ways, make things to make it work since 10am. Not going to happen.

8. May 13, 2020 at 5:17 PM
    Drfarquad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Milford
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Limited DC
    Maybe 04 and 05 jbl systems are different. Post pics of what you got.

Products Discussed in

To Top