1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1997 Extended Cab hanger bearing

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by se3388, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jul 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    se3388

se3388 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota T100 SR5 Ext. Cab 4x4, 2014 Tacoma Dbl Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    I recently bought a 97 SR5 T100 and was replacing a few things such as rotors, shocks and noticed that the hanger bearing has about 3/8th inch play, I can grab the drive shaft and move it up and down and side to side about 3/8th inch. That is one thing I have never in my life had to change on a vehicle Lord knows I have changed everything else numerous times. I believe the play is between the rubber and the outer housing. I am thinking this excessive, the cv joint by the bearing is pretty tight with no play or slack. Should it be replaced right away or should it last for a while longer? Thanks for any advice.

Steve........

2. Jul 23, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    With that much play the center bearing has failed long time ago. I would replace it when you can. The cardon joint is a pain in the ass to work with.. if you replace the center bearing replace in the spider joints and inspect u joints for excessive wear if so replace.

Fyi just remember to mark the shafts and flange with a pen so you don't have to play drive line 90degree turns to get it to stop vibration on you.

3. Jul 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM
    se3388

se3388 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota T100 SR5 Ext. Cab 4x4, 2014 Tacoma Dbl Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    I was kind of thinking that may be the case. I've never messed with a cardon joint, I guess this my chance, if it is loose then I know it needs repair but if it is tight (no play) then I should leave it alone right?

Steve.............

4. Jul 23, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    The proper way is to get it on a lift and listen to the bearings spin with a stethoscope..that way you can confirm it needs replacing.

You can have spider joints tight (rusted) and they feel fine on the truck but once you break the flange bolts off o boy they where beyond the wear point you can feel how bad they where worn out..

I have a 95 Tacoma same as t100 I just replace all my spiders and center bearing at 278,000..

Imo if I would have had the time I would have had a custom made drive shaft done.. less joints no center bearing no cardon joints and runs so much smoother...

TRDGen likes this.
  5. Sep 11, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    TRDGen

TRDGen Schnooogins

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 4wd, 03 T3, 06 4wd
    I need to replace mine bad. May try to get a solid shaft instead since I plan to supercharge it eventually.

Products Discussed in

To Top