1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

19 starter going out possibly?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by DexterL, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    DexterL

DexterL [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Happy new year everyone! Just got home from a trip to Denver for about a week and when I got back my truck didn’t really want to turn over all that well.

It has struggled on almost every start up recently and this morning I went to remote start it and the truck didn’t start.

I jump started it with a battery pack and got it running but it is struggling to start again.

Truck is 19 with 10k on the clock. Nothing electrical has been done since early December when I installed the winch, battery connections are tight and snug. It hasn’t been overly cold here in Boise so I don’t think that’s it.

2. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:34 AM
    7.62Tundra

7.62Tundra Chromeaphilliac

Member:
    SA Texis
    Vehicle:
    2015 5.7 Crewcab
    Batteries do go bad prematurely. I would suspect that over a starter

3. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I’m almost 100% it’s your battery dude. It seems that Toyota puts a pretty shitty battery in, and people typically don’t have good luck with them lasting a long time. Your truck should still be under warranty and they will probably replace it for you. I’m lucky my battery lasted almost 5 years. I actually replaced it when it started to sound weak on cold mornings. I wanted to have a fresh battery before it left me stranded

classiccat likes this.
  4. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    bgdv1

bgdv1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Butler,Pa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CMSB
    Sounds like battery issues.

5. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    Yep, I'm with @7.62Tundra. The stock batteries are shit. If you're near a Toyota dealership you should be able to get it replaced for free, or you can bite the bullet and get a better aftermarket one.

6. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    What is the battery voltage? Must be at least 12.7.

Luck and enjoy those Toyotas. : ^ )))

7. Jan 8, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    paradizecityz

paradizecityz New Member

Member:
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Off Road
    More than likely battery. Heard the ones that comes on the truck goes out randomly.

Also side note, you wouldn't happen to have a FFV right?

8. Jan 8, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Strange things can happen, but starters typically last more than a year and 10K miles.

The first thing to eliminate is the battery being faulty. If the battery responds well to being charged, and holds the charge, then the charging system should be checked out. Another thing you should look at is your connections for the winch. Is the control circuit switched "On" with the ignition or is it always "hot"?

9. Jan 8, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    DexterL

DexterL [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Winch power is off when this is happening, verified it this morning.

Whats weird is as soon as the day warms up no issues, so it must be the battery losing its CCA's. I have had a bunch of tundra's and haven't had a battery that needed to be replaced yet, well besides my 07 but that one was leaking acid all over the engine bay because they over tightened them at the factory.

10. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Statistically, if your battery is failing, you would be on the "early" side of the curve for 2017+ model years. This poll seems to show statistical data from three different batteries, with the 2017+ curve peaking at about 24 months. Some last longer, others not as long.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/original-battery-life-gen-3-tundra.48235/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  11. Jan 9, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad
    MLED Retrofitted Platinum Headlights, Ranch Hand bumper, Firestone airsprings, Leer 100XR Shell, Amp Research Steps
    Probably battery, mine failed after ~26 months and 34k miles. Worked perfectly till it extremely suddenly didn't. Toyota replaced it under warranty and my only gripe is they placed those felt washers under the terminals which only soak up any battery acid and keep it right where it will cause corrosion.

Products Discussed in

To Top